Using ls_script.liq to play Fallback When No Show - Want to pass metadata from Icecast2 to Airtime
  • Hi guys,

I've edited ls_script.liq to include the following:

music = playlist(mode='randomize',reload=3600,reload_mode="watch","/path/to/music/folder/")
    jingles = playlist(mode='randomize',reload=1,reload_mode="watch","/srv/airtime/stationids/")
    commercials = playlist(mode='randomize',reload=1,reload_mode="watch","/srv/airtime/dodgycommercials/")
    commercials=delay(1.,commercials)
    jingles=delay(1.,jingles)
    security  = single("/some/path/to/security.mp3")
    rotation = rotate(weights=[1,2,4],[commercials,jingles,music])
    default= fallback(track_sensitive = false,[rotation,security])

The problem:

I can't seem to figure out, how to get the metadata to display on my self hosted WordPress sitewhile just streaming from the above music, station ID, and commercials folders. Now, the metadata is displayed on the Icecast2 web interface, so I'm wondering, since the the metadata is available, there must be a way to either:

1. Feed/pipe the metadata from Icecast2 to Airtime, so that it will display on my site, or
    2. Write some code (as a widget in WordPress) to pull the metadata from (I'm guessing) Liquidsoap or Icecast2?

The WordPress site has the airtime-widgets folder.

If it is useful in any way, I also still have the individual radio player pages I created for StreamLicensing.com (they used to be hosted on their servers, as it was one of the prerequisites for licensing; they are 96k and 128k --- they used to be popups using the alligator pop-up plugin on WordPress and were only about 600px x 600px or something like that; so they should be pulling data as per the documentation on exporting the schedule.

I have read the following, (and some more), but still don't completely understand how to follow all of these:

I hope that was clear enough; if you need more info, just let me know. I'm no expert with Icecast2, Liquidsoap, or scripting in general but can usually follow instructions if they're in really clear, small steps.

I appreciate any, and all help offered.

Thank you,
    Chris
    Post edited by Chris Jolly at 2016-08-21 05:06:46
  • 7 Comments sorted by
  • The newest version of Icecast has JSON stuff to tap into

• Thanks for your comment mate.

I upgraded Icecast to 2.4.3 (it was originally 2.3.3). Though, I then lost the mountpoints...I couldn't seem to get them back in Airtime --- the stream settings page would just show "Getting information from the server...".

I reinstalled Airtime 2.5.1, this time the version of Icecast was 2.4.2, but the mountpoints came back once I configured Airtime through the web interface. Not long after, the mountpoints disappeared again.

I reinstalled Airtime again after purging (sudo apt-get purge) airtime, icecast, liquidsoap, postgresql, and apache. Now, all I get is in the Airtime web interface, when trying to setup the streams/mountpoints is "Getting information from the server...".

I don't know what to do now.

I couldn't get metadata before, but now I can't stream any audio at all. Not blaming anyone, BTW, it's just frustrating. I had backed up music, jingles, station IDs, commercials, config files etc. I'm just wondering if Airtime 2.5.1 doesn't play nice with Icecast 2.4.x, or vice versa.

Do you know? Or can anybody elaborate on this? I am assuming there has been some kind of disconnect between Icecast and Airtime, 

Lastly, I had backed up first, and then edited the following files to have the correct passwords:
    /etc/icecast2/icecast.xml
    /usr/share/icecast2/icecast.xml

Thank you,
    Chris
  • First and foremost, you should have Icecast and Airtime running on separate machines! Second, the latest free version of Airtime is essentially unsupported at the present time. The only thing Sourcefabric actively supports right now is the paid Airtime.pro SaaS.
  • First and foremost, you should have Icecast and Airtime running on separate machines! Second, the latest free version of Airtime is essentially unsupported at the present time. The only thing Sourcefabric actively supports right now is the paid Airtime.pro SaaS.

I appreciate that, but firstly, I am still testing, and secondly, I'm not expecting huge traffic right now, or for a while --- I also can't really afford more hosting right now.

2. Is the latest 2.5.2? I thought that was it; I am using 2.5.1 which seems to be supported.

Lastly, with Airtime.pro, tell me about it! I wish there were an open source compilable version of that! I can't justify $10 or $40/month for that, as it doesn't come with SSH access...hence, I would prefer that version (it has some great features --- Auto DJ/Twitter integration) but self hosted where I can control/hack it, if needed.

Look, mate, like I said, I wasn't blaming you; the new version of Icecast looks good, I just don't know (even if it was on a different host) if it works well with Airtime 2.5.1. I have backed up data (including config files) from my VPS and have wiped it back to Ubuntu Server 14.04. Will start from scratch like I did last time.

BTW, if anyone reading this who has tried installing Icecast 2.4.3 over-the-top and tried purging everything and starting again, when you ./configure, make, make install Icecast 2.4.3 an icecast.sources, or .list is created somewhere on the system and so the next time you try "installing everything from scratch" you end up with Icecast 2.4.2...just a heads up.
  • What is your time really worth? The 2.x releases are essentially abandonware right now. There is no support. Airtime.pro either has encrypted FTP on the way or it has already been released.
  • Good point.

Wow! I honestly did not know that. What is the latest supported version of Airtime for self-hosted systems? Or is only Airtime.pro supported now? Not that I mind community-only support, it doesn't have to be sourcefabric staff.

I did notice Airtime.pro has FTP, you just need to ask them for login details. If they have SFTP, that's good, though I don't know if it'd be a locked down account, i.e. no shell access --- I imagine it would be.

Thanks for your comments. I will certainly keep Airtime.pro in mind, especially as I begin to build the station.

To anyone reading the thread:

I did end up getting Airtime 2.5.1 installed again (few days ago now), with no mount point issues, and Icecast 2.3.3 installed.

Thanks all!

• Sorry dude, using the latest OSS version of Airtime isn't advisable. Even 2.5.1 has serious problems as you've discovered. That isn't just my opinion, it's the general consensus. You might get things kinda sorta working with the previous release. Then again, with dependency hell, maybe you won't. Nevermind the security issues. It all falls back to that time/worth thing.  :)>-