Talking about Airtime Documentation
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    Hello community !

What do you think about the Manual ?

How could we improve it ?

would be ready to participate in its improvement ?

• 11 Comments sorted by
  • Has anybody used the Airtime manual before? Did it help? What is good and what's missing? 
    Airtime Lead
    Head of Products at Sourcefabric
  • "The scheduling calendar is managed through an easy-to-use interface and triggers playout with sub-second precision."

What does this mean?

Your example system is too complex. Airtime is a package and the first thing people ask is how do I hook it up? Perhaps keep more of the technical details out of the discussion. Eg, who cares if it's a PostgreSQL database? It's a database that's all the user cares about.

Currently, the primary setup is this (online radio):
    remote studio-->airtime->internet

Central to this whole discussion is the schedule/calendar. That should be the focus. A schedule of shows that contain playlists of audio files and streams. The output is a stream. The system is web-based.

More later.
    Nat
    Post edited by Nat Persaud at 2013-08-19 16:29:58
    100.3 FM in Waterloo, ON, Canada
    www.soundfm.ca
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    In most points I agree to Nat.

Maybe some points should just be mentioned for "experts" in another menu.

I would suggest to reorganize the menustructure and
    to divide general-install & how-to-use-infos from experts info.

General Topics:
    What is Airtime, Different Use-Cases (Online-Radio vs. self-hosted) & mention SaS

HW/SW-Requirements, Preparing Server, Easy Setup & Automated Installation, Post-Install Config outside Airtime, Configure Airtime Preferences

Main Menu, Now Playing, Add Media, Calendar, Help, Listen
    How-To ... create Playlist/Smartblock/Webstream, Crossfade/Fade-In/Fade-Out, use Waveform, create/link Shows, etc.

Connect a source to Airtime, Mastersource & Showsource explained, introduce Icecast-Clients,

Expert Topics should be everything else regarding:

Automated File Import, Calendar Export, Playlist Export, Backing Up, Troubleshooting, Logging, Upgrading, Customization

Most points are well described for now in the manuals.
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Nat, thanks for the feedback! The sentence about sub-second precision is meant to emphasise the 'time' aspect of 'Airtime', that tight timing is what the program is all about. Compare this to typical desktop audio applications which can be quite imprecise about track duration, silent gaps etc. This imprecision can have a significant cumulative effect when used in a 24/7 schedule.

The diagram shows audio going to the transmitter via Pypo, Liquidsoap and the studio mixer, I will try to make this more clear. I could also make a simpler diagram showing a typical web radio use case.

The reason we mention the database used etc. is to give credit to the teams behind the many different Free Software programs we rely on. I agree it could be an overwhelming level of detail for new users. I'll see how we can improve that section.

Cheers!

Daniel 
  • I am not being facetious, but I never read any manual until I am in trouble.
    I tinker my way ask questions and try and try until I get it.

I am a "child at heart" when it comes to a task,I ask questions.I have gone to the library and even take up the visual books and the just become my bedtime stories.

Not saying the manuals are not necessary but I remember when I started to use Linux coming from a windows environment as system admin,I felt stupid.

I was just starting to learn,even firewalls (ISA's) and Routers (Cisco) I felt real dumb.

How much persons read the equipment manuals ? I never,Even when they say read this before plug in.I am so anxious ,to see it work,I tear it off and in it go.

The manuals can teach us how to fish,we have to know how to catch on good and bad days.

Mark you the manual serves as a splendid reference,as a lawyer friend of mine said,to win a case you need to know what applies.

So never answer the questions on an application that do not applies .

I never read all 400 and add pages in Ubuntu pdf but boy I can set them up.

So go forth experiment and make your own manualin your mind using what is there as reference who knows you might come up with "Airtime manual revised"

Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    @Voisses+Tech you are a bad guy !

:D
  • A nice API for frontend section with all options exposed would be nice.

No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • Hi Nat, thanks for the feedback! The sentence about sub-second precision is meant to emphasise the 'time' aspect of 'Airtime', that tight timing is what the program is all about. Compare this to typical desktop audio applications which can be quite imprecise about track duration, silent gaps etc. This imprecision can have a significant cumulative effect when used in a 24/7 schedule.

OK, so why is it that we can't actually program a show to start with sub-second precision?

The diagram shows audio going to the transmitter via Pypo, Liquidsoap and the studio mixer, I will try to make this more clear. I could also make a simpler diagram showing a typical web radio use case.

The reason we mention the database used etc. is to give credit to the teams behind the many different Free Software programs we rely on. I agree it could be an overwhelming level of detail for new users. I'll see how we can improve that section.

Yes, the title of this manual is Airtime for Broadcasters. Broadcasters are not generally techy, so perhaps there should be another manual called Airtime for Programmers?

I brought up this point about the assumptions involved in recording elsewhere. The manual does not clearly say what the assumptions are for the recorder. Explicitly tell the user what recording is for would help prevent misunderstanding. I know this feature is changing but the current situation could improve.

Thanks!

100.3 FM in Waterloo, ON, Canada
    www.soundfm.ca
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi John, hi Nat,

A nice API for frontend section with all options exposed would be nice.

I was just talking to the developer team about the need for more programmer documentation. For now, the best place to read about the details of the API is in the source, for example:

https://github.com/sourcefabric/Airtime/blob/master/airtime_mvc/application/controllers/ApiController.php

and in the Sourcefabric wiki:

https://wiki.sourcefabric.org/display/CC/Developer+Docs

As for starting a show with sub-second precision, we currently do that, but expect the show to start at the top of a minute. Bear in mind that the show is a user-specific container for all kinds of content, rather than the way we structure content at a detailed level. Within a show, the authorised user can get as precise as they want to.

Cheers!

Daniel

• I'm giving my vote to having a good up-to-date manual at least for the current released version of airtime.  It's important from the stand point of getting everyone on the same page as the development team and of having a common reference to install from.  It should also contain the user type install instructions and the 'service' manual type information, taking an analogy from equipment repair.  I think the manual does a pretty good job of both.  As a details person, and technician, I appreciate the detailed aspects of the manual.  It's also important to have a 'theory of operation' section to get people not so familiar with the concepts of setting up an internet radio station on the same page of thinking as airtime is.  The 'quick start' section could be for those who want to jump in and get something running while the advanced section can be expanded with the API and developer documentation.
  • Hey,

I am hoping we generate some
    type of wish list around a rewrite, to not only include the patch, but
    perhaps improve the read, although I don't mind the manual, I think it
    is fairly good.

We (CKGI - Gabriola Radio) secured funding for a patch on AirTime and it includes funding for work on the manual. The posting for the project manager can be found at https://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/17342/project-manager-airtime-patch

Ken