login refused with correct password
  • I've installed, then reinstalled Campsite but when I try to log in it refuses to accept the password. I notice that when I've typed the password and press enter three characters are added to the password, which then gets rejected.
  • 20 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
    Bob Couttie wrote on Thu, 19 August 2010 11:11
    I notice that when I've typed the password and press enter three characters are added to the password

It's a normal behavior when after press Login the password stays longer - this is working encrypting script which prepare password before sending to server.

I'm not sure but may be you are using some special chars in password. Then it could be fixed. Please make new user with your password on http://campsite-demo.sourcefabric.org/admin and check it.
  • Sorted it. It was unclear that one had only 'admin' as a user name. It works.
  • I have this same problem and it is driving me crazy.

1) It is happening on a brand new laptop running Win 7 and Ubuntu. I have tried all browsers and versions I can think of.
    2) The login works when I'm at work, but when I go away from my work station (like into a meeting), the login adds three characters, the form looks like it submits and then remains on the login page. The user and pass fields are reset to blank.
    3) I've set up a whole NEW user/pass (no special characters...just letters and one number) and it still won't work.

What's weird is my my Linux sys admin has been able to login from his computer from both at home and at his work. I can only login from one place.

We've combed through the server logs and found nothing indicating an issue. We've also set up new virtual sites and still the login won't work. Unless I'm at my company.

Any ideas on what I can investigate further?

Thanks in advance! This is such a BRILLIANT piece of software, by the way!
  • Ok, I've got a more specific information. I created a new admin password using the built-in generator. Turns out I can login from my Ubuntu install on my laptop, but using the SAME user/pass combo will not allow any access under Windows 7. This is still a big deal for me as my editors are using Windows 7 and don't even know what Linux is.... Any idea why this issue would be platform specific?
  • Ahoy Andrey!

I DID actually check that thread first. Which is why I mentioned that I tried all browsers and browser versions.

I also made a copy of the login script and followed the link to the code in github and replaced it with what the thread recommended, but still no joy on my Windows 7 laptop login. Windows 7 desktop at work is fine. I’m going home now to try again with my laptop’s Ubuntu login from FF, IE and Chrome to see if that works. I just need some way on my laptop to work logging in as I need to work on the CMS from home a lot.

And yes, all firewall stuff was turned off, etc. J

Thanks for the response!

Karen Windus

From: Andrey Podshivalov [mailto:campsite-support@lists.sourcefabric.org]
    Sent: Friday, September 17, 2010 2:01 PM
    To: Karen Windus
    Subject: [campsite-support] Re: login refused with correct password

hi Karen,

please check http://forum.sourcefabric.org/index.php/mv/msg/3085/8203/#ms g_8203 < http://forum.sourcefabric.org/index.php/mv/msg/3085/8203/#ms g_8203>

• Also, I have tried everything mentioned in the other thread about trying various browsers, clearing the cache, and updating the login code from github. But still no success when logging in from my Windows 7 laptop. Just a quick update to anyone following this thread.
    hi Karen,

I know just one reason why It could be: browser has cached wrong version of login output (before do_login.php replacing). I recommend you to make sure that cache is cleared and admin-files/do_login.php is updated (should contain if (isset($_POST['f_redirect']) && substr($_POST['f_redirect'], -8, Cool != '%2Fadmin'))
  • I WISH it were browser caching. That would be simple then. No, clearing the cache and even trying it with IE 8 (which for obvious reasons I NEVER use) still didn't work.
    ok, could you attach the screen shot of unsuccessfully login. Is there any error message?
  • Yeah, I can get you a screenshot....but there is no error message. It just looks like it's submitting, adds the three characters for encryption to the password, thinks about it, and then the form clears itself and looks exactly like when I first got to it. What might be more helpful is if I could do a screen video of the process so you could see it happening. So let me figure out how to facilitate that. Thanks again for your replies!
    hmm, this behavior is possible only with unpatched do_login.php Could you attach the installed version of admin-file/do_login.php file?
  • Hi-

Here’s what I updated one of the campsite sites with from the GitHub file. I left the original do_login.php alone in another site…just to see if the problem would remain the same. And it does. On Ubuntu on my laptop, I can login to both sites. When I boot over to Win 7, the login for both sites fails. BUT my login for the 3.3.6 version of two other sites I set up and was playing with still works in all environments.

And yes, I’ve been clearing the browser cache…. Thanks!

Sent: Monday, September 20, 2010 12:04 PM

hmm, this behavior is possible only with unpatched do_login.php Could you attach the installed version of admin-file/do_login.php file?

install attached version and check. After successfully login please revert to patched version.
  • Hi Andrey,

I did replace the file with the one you sent me (which looks like it simply forces a redirect to the index page) and that still didn’t work. Which was strange. I refreshed the file system and then did an apache restart and all that….

Karen

Sent: Monday, September 20, 2010 1:31 PM

install attached version and check. After successfully login please revert to patched version.

<http://forum.sourcefabric.org/index.php?t=getfile&id=29>

Attachment: do_login.php <http://forum.sourcefabric.org/index.php?t=getfile&id=29>
    (Size: 5.07KB)

Karen wrote on Mon, 20 September 2010 23:43
    Hi Andrey,
    I did replace the file with the one you sent me (which looks like it simply forces a redirect to the index page) and that still didn't work. Which was strange.

It's what I need. Now I'm sure this is an IE cache issue. It's unbelievable but it's a fact. I can't explain why cache can not be cleared. When you've tried to sign in with unpatched do_login the IE cached the wrong redirect after login form posting. Now IE remembers wrong redirect and reproduces again and again.
  • Even though I hate using IE so I use Chrome or FF and only used IE 8 to test different browser versions for the bug?

My last attempt was with Chrome. I cleared the entire cache before trying....
  • Maybe it's just my laptop for some reason. I had one of my co-workers try logging in with FF on an XP system and he had no trouble.

If it's JUST my laptop, well, I can figure something out I guess. I just would hate for it to affect my editors. I don't want to take up all your support efforts with this one bug either. I do appreciate your help though!
    Just one hint. What about installed on laptop a web proxy? It could be installed with antivirus software.
  • I know. I've thought about that... I may just do a whole clean reinstall of Win 7 and just completely blow stupid Norton away. I prefer Zone Alarm anyway. But I had tuned off anti-virus software yet had not messed with Windows Firewall or anything.....

Of course on Ubuntu it's just a quick command line thing. And the login works on Ubuntu anyway. I will keep poking around on this though and I'll let you know if anything shines a light on it. Smile