No sound coming from scheduler
  • Vote Up0Vote Down AramilAramil
    Hi, I have been running Campcaster without any problems for about a month now.Yesterday I scheduled some playlists, the first one started playing but at some point it stopped.Since then nothing comes out of the scheduler.

Any ideas?
  • 10 Comments sorted by
  • Hi Aramil,

This is usually caused by a file which in some way gave the scheduler problems - perhaps it was in a format it does not understand such as Apple's AAC?

If you are in testing mode, please try to restart your computer and start Campcaster from the terminal. If you have the time and ability to test it, please try to replay that playlist and also to examine the files in it. At least then it will provide you with more information about what went wrong.

Also, I'm assuming there were no other programs accessing the scheduler's sound card, right?

Hope this helps,

douglas
    Douglas Arellanes
    Director of Innovation
    Sourcefabric, o.p.s.

Find a way or make one.
  • Hi and sorry for the late answer.What seems to be the problem is that for no particular reason scheduler crashes whith playlist that we 've been using about a month now (with no problems at all).

This is the output of the scheduler when I start it from SSH :

Quote:
    streamserver@streamserver:~/src/campcaster$ make status
    make -C ./src/products/scheduler status
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/streamserver/src/campcaster/src/products/scheduler'
    ./bin/campcaster-scheduler_devenv.sh status
    Checking Campcaster scheduler status...
    using config file '/home/streamserver/.campcaster/campcaster-scheduler.xml'
    [GstreamerPlayer] [virtual void LiveSupport::PlaylistExecutor::GstreamerPlayer::configure(co nst xmlpp::Element&)]
    The Scheduler Daemon is not running
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/streamserver/src/campcaster/src/products/scheduler'
    streamserver@streamserver:~/src/campcaster$ make start
    make -C ./src/products/scheduler start
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/streamserver/src/campcaster/src/products/scheduler'
    ./bin/campcaster-scheduler_devenv.sh start
    Starting the Campcaster scheduler...
    [GstreamerPlayer] [virtual void LiveSupport::PlaylistExecutor::GstreamerPlayer::configure(co nst xmlpp::Element&)]
    [GstreamerPlayer] [virtual void LiveSupport::PlaylistExecutor::GstreamerPlayer::initialize() ]
    [SchedulerThread] ::getCurrentEvent() - nextInitTime: 2010-Jun-05 17:35:51.205023
    [SchedulerThread] - nextEventTime: 2010-Jun-05 17:36:01.205023
    [SchedulerThread] - nextEventEnd: 2010-Jun-05 17:59:46
    [SchedulerThread] ::nextStep() - Init [2010-Jun-05 17:35:50.205747]
    sleep 2
    DisplayScheduleMethod scheduleEntries: 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/streamserver/src/campcaster/src/products/scheduler'
    streamserver@streamserver:~/src/campcaster$ [Scheduler] BEGIN: virtual void LiveSupport::PlaylistExecutor::GstreamerPlayer::preload(std: :string)
    [Scheduler] END__: virtual void LiveSupport::PlaylistExecutor::GstreamerPlayer::preload(std: :string) - Took 0.000327s
    DisplayScheduleMethod scheduleEntries: 2
    [SchedulerThread] ::nextStep() with offset - Start [2010-Jun-05 17:36:00.712531]
    [Scheduler] BEGIN: virtual void LiveSupport::Scheduler::PlaylistEvent::start(boost::shared_p tr <boost::posix_time::time_duration>)
    [Scheduler] BEGIN: virtual bool LiveSupport::PlaylistExecutor::GstreamerPlayer::open(std::st ring, gint64, gint64)
    [GstreamerPlayer] Opening URL: file:///home/streamserver/src/campcaster/usr/tmp/campcasterS chedulerStorageClient63d29047a58588b0-1804289383.smil
    [GstreamerPlayer] Timestamp: 2010-Jun-05 17:36:00.712968

and right after when i use make status :

Quote:
    streamserver@streamserver:~/src/campcaster$ make status
    make -C ./src/products/scheduler status
    ./bin/campcaster-scheduler_devenv.sh status
    Checking Campcaster scheduler status...
    The Scheduler Daemon is not running

I can't figure out what's going on..All files are mp3 and as I said everything run normal for many days now...
  • This is a strange problem indeed. I'm trying to narrow the problem down - is it a bad playlist (or items inside the playlist) or is it another problem inside the scheduler? If you're able to narrow the problem down to a certain playlist, we can start to look at what is in the playlist that is making it crash.

One other question: Does the playlist in question have offset values (i.e. start the file at :12 seconds from the beginning and end at :24 from the end?)

Douglas Arellanes
    Director of Innovation
    Sourcefabric, o.p.s.

Find a way or make one.
  • ΟΚ, i tested many playlists, it seems that there is only one causing this problem.Although all files are mp3.I'll try deleting and re-inserting the songs ( i use simlinks to import to campcaster so maybe that's what causing the problem).

By the way, no offset values are used.

P.S I plan to migrate campcaster to another computer because this one is making my life very difficult (1.5Ghz Celeron,384 RAM).Is there a secure way to make a complete backup of the music library and playlists?
  • Hi Aramil,

I'm glad to hear that you've narrowed down the problem with the playlist.

There is a very easy to use tool for making backups of your storage items - you can back everything up (which will make a very big file and probably take a long time), or you can back up using search criteria.

This is in Campcaster Studio -> Options -> Backup. It's also described in the manual here:

http://en.flossmanuals.net/Campcaster/OptionsPalette

Hope this helps!

doug
    Douglas Arellanes
    Director of Innovation
    Sourcefabric, o.p.s.

Find a way or make one.
  • Thanks a lot for the information.I have now completed the backup and I' m trying to install the Development Environment on the new PC.Unfortunately during the setup I get these errors

* StorageServer Install Complete *
    chgrp www-data ./var/stor ./var/access ./var/trans ./var/stor/buffer
    chmod g+sw ./var/stor ./var/access ./var/trans ./var/stor/buffer
    bin/setupDirs.sh ./var/stor ./var/access ./var/trans ./var/stor/buffer
     *** StorageServer bin/setupDirs.sh BEGIN
     *** Root URL: http://localhost:80/~streamserver/campcaster/storageServer/var
     *** Webspace mapping test:
     *** mod_php : <?php /*------------------------------------------------------------------------------ bin configure doc etc Makefile tmp var This script returns real dir of php scipts for debugging purposes *----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/ header("Content-type: text/plain"); if ($_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] == "127.0.0.1") { echo `pwd`; } ?>
     *** install : /home/streamserver/src/Campcaster/src/modules/storageServer/var/install
    bin/setupDirs.sh: line 49: [: too many arguments
     *** WARNING: there was a problem with webspace mapping!!!
     *** The system group that is running the http daemon: '<?php /*------------------------------------------------------------------------------ bin configure doc etc Makefile tmp var This (web-callable) script returns group running httpd *----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/ header("Content-type: text/plain"); $egid = posix_getegid(); $info = posix_getgrgid($egid); if ($_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] == "127.0.0.1") { echo $info['name']; } ?>'
     *** chown :<?php /*------------------------------------------------------------------------------ bin configure doc etc Makefile tmp var This (web-callable) script returns group running httpd *----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/ header("Content-type: text/plain"); $egid = posix_getegid(); $info = posix_getgrgid($egid); if ($_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] == "127.0.0.1") { echo $info['name']; } ?> ./var/stor
     *** chown :<?php /*------------------------------------------------------------------------------ bin configure doc etc Makefile tmp var This (web-callable) script returns group running httpd *----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/ header("Content-type: text/plain"); $egid = posix_getegid(); $info = posix_getgrgid($egid); if ($_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] == "127.0.0.1") { echo $info['name']; } ?> ./var/access
     *** chown :<?php /*------------------------------------------------------------------------------ bin configure doc etc Makefile tmp var This (web-callable) script returns group running httpd *----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/ header("Content-type: text/plain"); $egid = posix_getegid(); $info = posix_getgrgid($egid); if ($_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] == "127.0.0.1") { echo $info['name']; } ?> ./var/trans
     *** chown :<?php /*------------------------------------------------------------------------------ bin configure doc etc Makefile tmp var This (web-callable) script returns group running httpd *----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/ header("Content-type: text/plain"); $egid = posix_getegid(); $info = posix_getgrgid($egid); if ($_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] == "127.0.0.1") { echo $info['name']; } ?> ./var/stor/buffer
     *** StorageServer bin/setupDirs.sh END
    make: Leaving directory `/home/streamserver/src/Campcaster/src/modules/storageServer'
    make: Entering directory `/home/streamserver/src/Campcaster/src/modules/archiveServer'
    bin/setupDirs.sh ./var/stor ./var/access ./var/trans ./var/stor/buffer
    # archiveServer root URL: http://localhost:80/~streamserver/campcaster/archiveServer/var
    # group running http daemon: <?php /bin /boot /cdrom /dev /etc /home /initrd.img /lib /lost+found /media /mnt /opt /proc /root /sbin /selinux /srv /sys /tmp /usr /var /vmlinuz bin configure doc etc Makefile tmp var @author $Author$ bin configure doc etc Makefile tmp var @version : $Revision$ bin/ doc/ etc/ tmp/ var/ /*------------------------------------------------------------------------------ bin configure doc etc Makefile tmp var This (web-callable) script returns group running httpd *----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/ header("Content-type: text/plain"); $egid = posix_getegid(); $info = posix_getgrgid($egid); echo $info['name']; ?>
    mkdir ./var/stor
    chown: invalid group: `:<?php'
     -> You should have permissions to set group owner to group <?php /bin /boot /cdrom /dev /etc /home /initrd.img /lib /lost+found /media /mnt /opt /proc /root /sbin /selinux /srv /sys /tmp /usr /var /vmlinuz bin configure doc etc Makefile tmp var @author $Author$ bin configure doc etc Makefile tmp var @version : $Revision$ bin/ doc/ etc/ tmp/ var/ /*------------------------------------------------------------------------------ bin configure doc etc Makefile tmp var This (web-callable) script returns group running httpd *----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/ header("Content-type: text/plain"); $egid = posix_getegid(); $info = posix_getgrgid($egid); echo $info['name']; ?>
    make: *** [dir_setup] Error 1
    make: Leaving directory `/home/streamserver/src/Campcaster/src/modules/archiveServer'

Suggestions?
  • HI everyone!

After a long summer I still can't find a solution for this!Can anyone give me some guidance please? Very Happy
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Aramil,

> After a long summer I still can't find a solution for this!Can anyone
    > give me some guidance please?

Using the development version for a production system is not
    recommended. Please try the .deb package installation on an Ubuntu
    Karmic machine, as shown here:

http://en.flossmanuals.net/Campcaster/InstallSynaptic

If the problem with the rogue playlist persists after installation of
    the .deb package version, please make a backup of that specific playlist
    and post it online, so that the developers can download it and try to
    reproduce the bug.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • The rogue playlist problem is solved, the problem with the installation on the new system persists (i pasted the error log on a previous post).

Unfortunately we are using lucid and as far as I know there are no deb packages yet...
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Aramil,

> Unfortunately we are using lucid and as far as I know there are no deb
    > packages yet...

Packages have been made, but changes in Ubuntu between Karmic and Lucid
    have broken functionality in the current release of Campcaster.

Therefore if you want to use Campcaster now, you are better off
    downgrading your Ubuntu installation to Karmic, which is still a
    Canonical supported release until April 2011.

Cheers!

Daniel