Import files and Formatting issues
  • Hey,

I am running Booktype 2.0.0.
    I'd like to import text from Google docs. Copy/pasting results in total format loss (even line breaks) and results in a lot of extra work.

What is the best way to move existing content into Booktype?
    If possible, I'd even like to insert tables made in Excel files...

Thnx!
    Douwe
  • 5 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Douwe, are you able to update to the latest version of Booktype (from git)? Or did you use the automated install from .deb package?

In the current version of Booktype you can import EPUB or .docx files as new books from your Dashboard. Both these formats are available to export from Google Docs (File -> Download As). As for the tables, if they are in the Google doc, in theory they should import, but we would welcome test reports with sample docs.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • Hey Daniel,

I did not install this Booktype server myself, but I have a hunch that it was done from a .deb package... Is there a way I can check? Which one supports importing?

If I am on the right one, where would I be able to find this import function?

Thnx!
    The Booktype version is shown in the Control Centre landing page. When logged in, click on your name in the top right corner and you should see this link on the drop-down menu if you have superuser permissions.

On your Dashboard, you will see an Import Book button if your version is recent enough to have that feature.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • Ok, cool. Will try that. But just to check to make sure I got it all clear:

Import allows me to create a new book from an existing docx or epub.

Import does not allow me to add text from a docx or epub to an existing book.
    That's correct, the button on the Dashboard is for creating a new book. In a future version we will enable uploading .docx or .epub as an individual chapter. You can copy and paste from book to book inside Booktype of course.