Cannot create Admin account
  • I created a Booktype server today and all went fairly well until at the end of the install I received
    CommandError: Could not create the user.

Booktype did allow me to create a regular user/member thru the WebUI.

I jumped on the forum and saw a posting by Sharan Foga on July 10. My symptons are identical. I read the solution by Daniel James.
    but "no joy"..

I went to the /var/lib/booktype folder and ran "source bin/activate". My command prompt changed to (booktype)user@hostname
    I path my way to the "instance1" directory and ran "sudo ./manage.py createsuperuser" and received the same msg:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File " ./manage.py", line 5 in <module>
    from unipath import Path
    ImportError No module named unipath

What am I missing doing wrong? I follow the suggested steps...

Thanks in advance
    Milt

• 4 Comments sorted by
  • This discussion is closed. I figured out what was wrong. The administrator account was created inspite of the msg at the end of the install. I got confused about the "acct" name versus the "full name"

In my original post I stated that I was able to register a new user but the admin acct did not appear to be working. While logged in to the new acct and getting familiar with the book creation tools. I click on the settings gear and scrolled down to "roles". While in Roles I clicked "Assign Roles" and POOF! there were 2 accts, the admin and the new user acct I created.

I logged out and logged in with the admin acct. All's good. Newbie growing pains!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Milton, good to hear that you got this working! Please provide details of your installation so we can figure out why you got the error:
    CommandError: Could not create the user.

For example, which server platform you are using, and whether you installed from git, tarball or deb package.

Thanks!

Daniel
  • Hi Daniel

I installed on a virtualbox vm ubuntu 14.04 using the auto-install method deb package:
    sudo apt-get install booktype  The install was flawless. I kept detailed notes of each step and did not notice a single error until the install end. Even then I guess it is a false-positive.

I used the sourcefabric manual Booktype 2.0 install instructions to the letter. I outputted some sysinfo for you in the attached file "sysinfo.04-09-2016.log".

1. Is there a details guide somewhere explaining what to back-up and where? I looked in the "instance1" folder /books and /data and elsewhere. Though I have a book started with a couple of charters I do not see any data related to my book.

2. Are there any hardening guidelines of the server to make it more secure when having authors connect over the Net? I work in data security and always thinking about things like buffer over-runs and input validation..etc  I'm think of connecting this server to my VPN server and having select contributors access the platform that way? Please advise.

3. While editing my chapters I noticed I only have Fonts (serif and sans serif) is that normal?

So far, so good! I'll post findings and such as I get more savy with booktype.
    Thanks,
    Milt
    Post edited by Milton at 2016-09-04 22:29:45
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Milt,

1. Generally, you should back up the whole instance directory in /var/www/booktype or similar, whichever directories you are serving with Apache, as well as your database (please see https://github.com/sourcefabric/Booktype/blob/master/scripts/cron_backup.sh.original as a starting point for database backups). If your book only contains text, you may not see any files in data/books/<bookname>/<version>/ as that is where images are stored.

2. For hardening, any guide to securing Django applications would be useful. You should probably serve the instance over https for a start. See the tip on TLS for Ubuntu 14.04 at the end of http://sourcefabric.booktype.pro/booktype-21-for-authors-and-publishers/manual-installation-on-gnulinux/

3. If you only have the choice of serif or san-serif fonts, it means you are using the Custom theme. For more choice in themes, I recommend upgrading to Booktype version 2.1. A deb package of Booktype 2.1 for Debian and Ubuntu should be available soon.

Cheers!

Daniel