2.5.2.1 - horrific release - avoid at all costs
  • On Ubuntu 14.04 64bit / No firewall

- Streaming settings don't reload after saving, you have to reboot the server for them to take affect
    - Master & Show Inputs don't work at all, master port sometimes opens, show port NEVER opens, authentication on both fail ALL the time
    - Can't set to stream anything other than port 8000, any attempt to send it somewhere else results in unopened ports

On Debian Wheezy 64bit / No Firewall

- Doesn't even install, bombs out saying it can't find a text file

Apart form the super buggy operation, what is the deal with releasing a tarball on bloody Sourceforge making it impossible to wget it?

Just wasted 2 solid days loading up 2.5.2.1 with over 100 separate radio shows into their respective slots (all with individual playlists and connection information) only to find out that none of my djs can connect to it.

Really shabby guys, really shabby.
  • 4 Comments sorted by
  • Yeah -- I think the tarball should've been pulled down shortly after it was released. Waited a year to mess around with it and when I finally did, much ragrats.
  • I just wish someone @ SF would tell us what is going on with the project.
  • They already did, sorta...

From Micz Flor June 27 -- source

"Hi everybody,

firstly, I want to say as one of the Sourcefabric people, that we are reading the forum and often discuss the threads much more than many of you might think. Why don't we do this in the forum, you may ask. And I can not give you a good reason for that. At times it feels like a "where do we start..." situation.

Firstly, yes, we want to release a free version. We want to update the repo. And we often find ourselves saying "... and then, next month, we could start working on the github repo". When you say this twelve times, a year has passed.

Our development is focussing on the SaaS offering Airtime.pro. We have decided to do this to create revenue to assure that the development can continue and in the long term grow a team around the Airtime code base. Airtime development is not slowing down. Quite the opposite - which leads to the situation where bringing all the improvements to github becomes a bigger task each month.

Focussing on SaaS also meant that Airtime has grown more and more into a "cloud only" application. Those who have been with Airtime for a longer time know that in the beginning, Airtime was intended to be a software in the studio, assisting live broadcasts with automation and automated recording and rebroadcasting. 

Also, the code base is currently very closely intertwined with all the applications needed to run a SaaS operation. It is not easy to rip out the Airtime code and put it on github. Decoupling Airtime from the SaaS infrastructure is what's needed. And because we take our development very seriously, we keep pushing this into the future.

Some in this forum suggested to fork Airtime. Inside our development team, some also think: this is a good idea, why not? Others in our team keep coming back to what I said earlier: let's just soon find some time to work on the github repo.

We also thought about a kickstarter campaign to bring the code base back to github and work on the decoupling from the SaaS infrastructure. 

I decided to throw my thoughts into the discussion to overcome the disconnect. I also wanted to give you a bit of insight into where we stand. This is not about turning out back to the open source nature of the project.

I do agree with some voices in this forum that the focus on Airtime.pro effectively makes this project look like a closed source project. Not even like an "open core" project, because what we run on Airtime.pro is fundamentally different from the latest release on github.

This is where we currently stand. Forking the project is a possibility. Looking for an alternative is also a possibility. Using the Airtime.pro SaaS is also a possibility (I am not being cynical here, I mean it.). There is also the possibility to bring some funding together through kickstarter or the like and make the github release not a task on the side but a real milestone on the roadmap.

We want to release a version, but we need time and resources to work on the release. We don't have the resources right now to focus beyond the Airtime.pro offering. Good news: Airtime.pro is growing. So we will eventually be more flexible with resources.

I am not saying if, when and what. I wanted to send you some of our thoughts.

All the best, micz"
  • Ahhhhh so the project is dead, that confirms it!
    So it will be Pro or nothing going forward.
    Sign of the times tbh, it was good while it lasted.