how to configure an E-mail channel for publishing
  • Hello, I have configured my desks and work flow pattern on a test server. my question is what are the steps i need to take in configuring a client to receive only sport news via e-mail channel? thanks
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • Hi Gabriel,

There is a bit of magic in Superdesk for this to happen. I will try to explain.

1- There is something called "Content Filters", you can find that in the system settings.

2- When you get to the "Content Filters" configuration view, you will see three tabs: Filters, Filter Conditions and Filter Search.

3- Go to "Filter Conditions" and click on the button "Add new filter condition"

4- You will see the form, you need to enter a name, for example "Only sports", then for Field you can pick "desk", Operator "in" and Values "Sports". I am assuming you have a Sports desk. You could also do this by reading metadata tags/keywords in the case you don't have a desk dedicated to Sports but, for example, a general desk producing all sort of news and adding tags to the stories.

5- You save your filter condition.

6- Go to the "Filters" tab and click on the "Add a new content filter" button.

7- You will see the form. Define a Name, for example "Only sport news". Add a new filter condition to it, the one you have created in the previous steps, and Save your new content filter.

8- Go now to the "Products" view in system settings, and click on "Add new product". Fill in a name, for example, "Sports content", pick the corresponding filter condition and save.

9- Go now to the "Publish" view in system settings, and click on "Add new subscriber". Define a name and select the "Sports content" product. Make sure to fill in the other fields as well.

10- In the same form, make sure to add a new destination... give it a name, for example, "Sports email", pick the format you want to deliver the content in, and select "Email" for delivery type. Enter then the email addresses you want to send the content to. Save your new subscriber.

11- From then on, every story published in the Sports desk should get delivered to the registered email addresses.

Hope this helps (and works well)! ;-)

Best,

• Hi Holman.
    I was able to configured and sent out a published news(sport) to a demo client. i noticed that the mail has lots of tags which make it almost unreadable for a human.How can i remove these tags from my configuration? and secondly i dont understand your quoted instructions that you send me earlier 
            "You could also do this by reading metadata tags/keywords in the case you don't              have a desk dedicated to Sports but, for example, a general desk producing all sort           of news and adding tags to the stories."
    can you make it clearer?.
    Thanks alot. 
  • Hi,

The tags: Superdesk doesn't deliver news content via Email as in an email you can read, instead, Superdesk sends to the email the news item in the selected format (either ninjs, NewsML-G2, etc.) because the content is intended to be consumed by another application, not by a person. That's how it works at the moment, and that's why I guess you see those tags. Your point is valid though, how do you use exactly the news delivery over email?

My sentence: Sorry for not being clear. What I meant is, you can configure Superdesk in different ways. If, for your particular case, you have defined a "Sports" desk, then you can define your content filter based on desk to deliver sports news. But if you don't have a "Sports" desk, then you need to identify your sport content to be delivered in a different way, right? For those cases, one solution is to do it via the metadata topics/tags you add to the stories.

Best,

• hi, so what is that application that can be used to consume the email and make it human readable? the email readable format is needed for low budget subscriber who don't have the expertise and extra money to invest in technology.
  • Hi Gabriel,

That makes total sense. We haven't got into that use case before, therefore the current implementation works the way it works.

We will include this requirement into our roadmap and we'll let you know when it could be expected.

Thanks!
  • Hi Holman,

That will be great,i look forward to the inclusion. Thanks for the great job you guys are doing