ogg files / mp3 stream is offline and silent
  • I'm using a fresh install of ubuntu server 14.04.2 and airtime 2.5.1 using the easy install.

Everything works fine except when it's playing an ogg file. In the web interface it's telling me it's playing the right show but when I connect to the stream configured as a mp3 stream... nothing, it's even telling me offline. Works fine When previewing tracks.

looks like it's not transcoding for the stream.

Everything was working fine on my previous installation except the link show were loosing the songs once in a will.
  • 21 Comments sorted by
  • Ogg has been a problem and a somewhat bug.
    try toggle the hardware output to off to see if it fixed this
    If you look at the logs you will see it stating that there is not sufficient data.

Check on the liquidsoap version you are using

liquidsoap --version

if you see this

Liquidsoap 1.1.1
    Copyright (c) 2003-2013 Savonet team
    Liquidsoap is open-source software, released under GNU General Public License.
    See <http://liquidsoap.fm&gt; for more information.

you will have the problem

If you have the sourcefabric version ,you might not have that problem

I will look if there is a fixed

Do NOt Attempt to  install all of liquidsoap plugins to solve this issues your problem wlll multiply
    Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2015-04-23 10:27:11
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Thank you for coming back to me.

My Hardware audio outpu is unchecked and my liquidsoap version is :

Liquidsoap 1.1.1

I will wait for more information before trying anything on mu own.
  • where can I gat the sourcefabric version?
  • How many ogg source files do you have? You're probably better off converting them all over to a more widely adopted (read: tested and stable) format...
  • It's a simple solution, but for an opensource format,OGG...

and opensource CMS AirTime...

for a opensource radiostation...

it's feel a little bit wierd to use mp3. ;)
  • It may be oss but 99.5% of the free world went with mp3 anyway. http://dir.xiph.org
  • @Sandrine_Marquis

Thank you for coming back to me.

My Hardware audio outpu is unchecked and my liquidsoap version is :

Liquidsoap 1.1.1

I will wait for more information before trying anything on mu own.

I doubt there is much you can do as an individual except not to use ogg vorbis  at the moment. Try something else like the faac codec already included.

there is a serious bug with liquidsoap and ogg.Please note that its not an Airtime bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/liquidsoap/+bug/1404657
    I tested all the possibilities of even coding error and its just that liquidsoap is not pushing sufficient data to Icecast .

Now here is where Airtime Development team err.
    Because of the fact that Airtime can never ,will never catch up on the moving parts in linux distribution,the previous team decide to create their own package and at the same time port some of the changes to Savonet (well it Appeared that way).This result in a stable branch.

Some how someone decide lets scrap that idea and integrate the Main Branch.So if that assumption is right then the conclusion that is pending https://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/17438/its-coming-soon-something-is-on-the-horizon is true.

Most people who build on linux ,especially the new ones will learn that, linux turns the reject into marvel.so an old machine becomes new.

Linux is not a "fool's paradise" idea of giving some new(high) all the time . Linux is all about stability,reliability and usability.

Linux is like
    An Old jalopy taking you to your destination rather than a new brand car filled with recall parts and overheating on the highway

It's a simple solution, but for an opensource format,OGG...

and opensource CMS AirTime...

for a opensource radiostation...

it's feel a little bit wierd to use mp3. ;)

true

It may be oss but 99.5% of the free world went with mp3 anyway. http://dir.xiph.org

not necessarily true

There are lossless codecs which a lot of people use

If by the Free world you mean countries then you are definitely wrong,at one time some one even thought this was a bright idea of making millions through patent,it gave rise to Aac,ogg and  on and on ,read here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_codecs

In my early days of Linux ,Mp3 was a curse word even windows started there own "wma"

Do not get lost by the nuance of today get some history

How many ogg source files do you have? You're probably better off converting them all over to a more widely adopted (read: tested and stable) format...

Do not even think firefox fully endorse mp3 on HTML5 yet.They might be cautiously thinking.
    Hope it get fix by the Liquidsoap team because Airtime is taking so much direction,they need a GPS (Global Positioning Software) =)) :-))
    Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2015-04-24 08:18:57
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
  • So my solution is to use an updated version of ubuntu/debain version with an outdated version of airtime able to read mp3 and ogg but forget the playlist once in a will when shoes are linked... repository are still on version 2.5.1 with no sign of any change what so ever.

or

convert all my ogg files to mp3 and recreat all my playlist with a more recent version and ask all my podcasters firneds to stop sending me ogg files and send mp3... podcasters from the opensource community will like me on this one. And repository are still on version 2.5.1 with no sign of any change what so ever.

or

Wait for a version and pray it will happen soon... but I'm far from beliving in this because last time a saw an annoncement of some sorts from airtime was a long time ago and I'm still waiting for it.

With a radio station down for days now, with no real solution, I'm about to buy sam broadcaster. I'm getting tired to try to make this work.

One thing for sure, I will share my experience on my podcasts on opensource software hardware. To be honest, I'm really disapointed. I know it's not your fault but only circontences but I'm still disapointed.
  • So my solution is to use an updated version of ubuntu/debain version with an outdated version of airtime able to read mp3 and ogg but forget the playlist once in a will when shoes are linked... repository are still on version 2.5.1 with no sign of any change what so ever.

Nope that will not change much

convert all my ogg files to mp3 and recreat all my playlist with a more recent version and ask all my podcasters firneds to stop sending me ogg files and send mp3... podcasters from the opensource community will like me on this one. And repository are still on version 2.5.1 with no sign of any change what so ever.

I am confuse here are you trying to play or stream mp3 here.I am almost certain Airtime plays ogg ok.its when you try to stream it by turning on the stream type.
    I have not tested this as yet but
    • I was told if you remove the opus plugin from liquidsoap all is well.
    also
    • I think if you use the lucid or precise repository of airtime you will have the Airtime liquidsoap .

The last two pointers I cannot verify

There are many codec converters out there.Winff or you can find many suggestions of setting up ffmpeg or avconv to run a simple script.You still keep your lossesless format,create  mp3 watch folder and send only what need in there

of course opensource is a little work

The defacto concept is "we build it you innovate it"

So they build the server (canonical),someone else build the web (drupal,joomla wordpress etc).

Its what makes Google and the others rich.I never could get RED5 to Stream,For years its reported that youtube  uses it.

I can bet you if windows was still controlling the world wit its crappy software ,the world would get dumber and dumber.

Open source has open the realm of possibility

Wait for a version and pray it will happen soon... but I'm far from beliving in this because last time a saw an annoncement of some sorts from airtime was a long time ago and I'm still waiting for it.

Not to be facetious but Who will you pray to.
    The Gods,not the christian God,I presumed!,He wants you to Get up like Daniel,Noah,Gideon,Jesus or the parable of the talents etc..and change the world not sit back and pray.He listen when you are in Need like"Father Father ,Why has thou forsaken me?" Pray when you are sick and needy,praise when all seems well
    but if you think praying to "Mankind" will help then you are in the right forum,There are a list of "Tone Deaf" "thin skin" people here.
    Men have become so selfish and sel-centered,that only their views matter and those who will play "kissy-foot" with them

Where Are the Leaders my GOD?
    Too many managers

In facf ,money is the driving force here? Fix and Innovate the core here.
    Do not send me two different versions of an Api or Installer.You want me to get mad.My brain is small
    keep an  Stable Branch and a Development (alpha, beta, gamma, whatever)

With a radio station down for days now, with no real solution, I'm about to buy sam broadcaster. I'm getting tired to try to make this work.

One thing for sure, I will share my experience on my podcasts on opensource software hardware. To be honest, I'm really disapointed. I know it's not your fault but only circontences but I'm still disapointed.

That's is waste  talk

In fact the world has no place for relationships.Its all now replacement

Go get yourself

• foobar2000
    • Itunes
    • Amarok and Ampache
    • Radiodj
    • Zaroradio
    • Mixxx
    Then you can  use whatever encoder you want fro Butt to Simplecast

You cannot compare Apple with Avocado

If you need a playout  just send any one of those to Airtime.

There is a real problem when you compare a workstation to the backend/frontend solution\

The problem here is that people really miss the point and inttent of the founders of Airtime.
    They wants Airtime to be
    • The Dj Workstation like Mixxx or VirtualDj
    • The Host Workstation Like the broadcast console,media player
    • The Streamer and Hosting company

The fundamental thing is that Airtime has Icecast integrated to show that the original thinkers wants you to Think Big,INTEGRATE,PLUGIN,ADDONS .

I used Kodi (formerly XBMC) from 2007.its what my live TV and media center with mythbuntu.I could replace it with a cable box. and become the slave of the cable company.

You know why I love KODI everything is plug-in ,add-on or scripts.

These are done by developers. I bought a roku and even developed for clients.For the Last 5 months I have only used  raspberry pi B+ (B2 now).I have not touch the Roku.It cannot replace my mediacenter.

All I am saying,we need people to find integrated (add-on) solutions to Airtime.

Take for instance

• The TuneIn App (Bill Burton initiated it).I took it and done so much,if you go on tune in and look,only when I am fooling around my system.its perfect.there are also many versions to it
    • The Modified widget by John Chewter
    • The Modified Autodj by "yours truly"
    • Jingles Expiration and Playlist Integration by Bashatee Radio
    • the Modified Interface by Philippe Demartin

now I have a script working on that will take the Autodj output and integrate it in the  Airtime API

Any Good Leader would look at these and find ways to integrate it

Work alongside with the developers and have there in team amplify it

Jplayer did not write the RTMPV models,they even integrate at early stage and apply fixes.

Let me say this and I am going out on a limb here

AIRTIME HAS NO LEADERSHIP (now)

I am as frustrated as you,because its 2 years now I have put forward many solutions to  Autodj and so much solutions,Yet Airtime has not integrated any of the solutions and if they did it would cure half their problem.

They take me for a fool. and the many other forum developers but they are the ones who look lethargic

Come On Airtime The Demolition Crew is needed Again

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2015-04-24 09:51:47
  • by pray I meant hope.

and now

installed ubuntu 12.04.... airtime 2.5.2.1

stream not connecting....

2015-04-24 10:04:30,294 WARNING - [__main__.py : liquidsoap_startup_test() : line 205] - Liquidsoap doesn't appear to be running!, Sleeping and trying again

and time stay at UTC no matter what.

Post edited by Sandrine Marquis at 2015-04-24 10:07:39
  • You're installing to a headless server, yes? Just use Debian 7.8 and Airtime 2.5.1 from the repo and report back. COMPLETELY IGNORE the new version because SF has not tested nor packaged it for production use.
  • With AirTime 2.5.1, when I create shows and link them... playlist assigned to those disapear.
  • Can you achieve what you need without linking? The feature is hopelessly broken so expecting the newer version to work reasonably is a huge leap of faith in and of itself.
  • schedule repetitive show for every F$%?$?$ days with repetitive playlist. Manually.

So why use Airtime ..????????????????????????? a cms for radio station unable to schedule shows.

Seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

with 2.5.2.1 it'S supposed to work but can'T use ogg files....
    Post edited by Sandrine Marquis at 2015-04-24 11:42:29
  • You're thinking of it wrong. It was never designed for a one-person operation. It was designed for teams of a dozen+ like a professionally staffed radio.
  • @Sandrine Marquis,

I am using a repetitive, linked schedule that plays smart blocks 7/24 and they've never disappeared.

How come yours did?
  • I don'T know and it's driving me nuts. I had a installation that was working properly and at some point... after a will my radio gies silent and all my shows are empty...

on a ubuntu server 12.04 with airtime 2.5.1.

I notice I can cause the problem by restarting the server.

since have been trying to use another installation with differents version and setup with no success. There's always something wrong going on.

@Roger Wilco... For now i'm alone, but I have a project for the futur and I will need a real installation with no hicop.
  • Sorry but linked shows have multiple bug reports against them. The devs know the feature is broken and say they're working to redo all of the scheduling guts in a future release. Unfortunately 2.5.2 is not that magical release.

Want something that works today? Be practical rather than needlessly idealistic! Switch codecs and distros! Airtime 2.5.1 is just peachy keen on Wheezy. VERY stable -- regardless of what a casual inspection of this forum might lead you to believe. Stop using Ubuntu and roll with Debian.

Finally, could you please explain why you feel compelled to re-stream the same content over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again when a simple podcast would suffice? No offense, but why pollute the web like that?? Maybe if you carefully reevaluate your approach, you won't be so upset about this software's shortcomings! :x
  • @Sandrine_Marquis
    Did you look at  my answer here  https://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/17139/link-show-is-a-nice-replacement-for-autodj-but-its-100-unreliable

it solves all the problem of missing shows or playlist becoming blank
    I did that from December 2014 when @bart suggest push forward the calendar to say like MAY 2016 ,you can go as far as you like but the more months you do is the slower the database may become.

Your link show will never disappear.

If you re-entered your playlist then you will see duplicate remove the unnecessary ones.
    It works 100% .

Let me top this off with a little story.

There was a Man Going to market to sell his usual goods.
    He decide to put the load on the friendly donkey(mule) he had bought to carry load(like a truck)
    As he walked some people saw him and shout "what wicked man,he should be carrying the load instead of the donkey"

Wanting to please them .He took the Load off but as he walked further some concern people remarked
    "what foolish man,the donkey was born to carry both the load and him" so he decide to appease them.

So he put the load on the donkey climb up and started to ride

The donkey was moving so slow and some people start to ridicule him
    "If that man want to reach where his going ,he better carry the donkey and the load"

So the man decide to just fold in and do as they said.

He took up the load  and tried to take up the donkey who fell on him and he died.

So the moral of this is

" If you do not know where you going,How will you know when you get there or how to get there."

Well this was a note from my Absentee Father.

How people always say everything is broken because they have no fix.

Well Ubuntu is broken ,I hate unity.Drupal is broken I hate to have to learn about views etc.

There are simple fixes please look at my name link as poster for all your problems and look I have solutions or work around. do not fuss about what missing

I am not affiliated with this site  with a company whose name is something like whoo.....
    I was called by a client and they are providing hosting a,scheduling etc with Airtime as the back-end.
    Go look it up.They are doing it commercially and i know they are making money because the client is paying decent amount and is an high profile one

Too much complains for things which has answer.

If you want good answers follow one of the current 4 top posters or the last two .
    They exposed all the issues you have and work around or solutions

To me 2.5.1.6 needs little to be perfect.

I just download the deb and source because what I know coming might just be crap.

Scour the hack Team ,the answer is there

let some one design plugins and add on Leave the core and just updates and interface changes.

It easy for me to switch,but I love this program.
    Oh I use it with rivendell and Amarok

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2015-04-24 18:28:58
  • Oh noes, voisses is hittin the sauce again...  =))
  • yep.
    I realise I need comments to "reach my quota"
    I need my badge

Check this out

https://youtu.be/gWhUqo9Aivs
    Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2015-04-24 18:38:02