How do I use Airtime?
  • First of all can it be used and tested on a local machine without a server and without apache?(That is I am using my laptop just to test out if it can at least broadcast a online stream and others can connect to me and hear it) or do I need apache for it to work? if so could you please give me help in that direction? Because although I learned of the interface functions from the wiki and manual I cannot for the life of me understand why it wont go "on air". Even if I don't have a sound card with broadcast mixer I should at least be able to play a sound on the local machine or stream a webstream from some other website and others can connect to it and hear it. How do I make this happen?
  • 12 Comments sorted by
  • You're doing it wrong...
  • What You Talking about? 8-}

Airtime is not a media player.
    You might want to chose Amarok,RythmnBox or something else

What is Airtime?

Updated for Airtime 2.5.1

Airtime is the open broadcast software for scheduling and remote station management. Web browser access to the station's media library, multi-file upload and automatic metadata import features are coupled with a collaborative on-line scheduling calendar and playlist management. The scheduling calendar is managed through an easy-to-use interface and triggers playout with sub-second precision.

Page 1
    http://sourcefabric.booktype.pro/airtime-25-for-broadcasters/what-is-airtime/

So you miss the purpose of Airtime.
    So ask a question based on that and maybe someone can help you

Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Install airtime with a webserver,
    Show your library as a watched folder,
    Create a show,
    Add content to your show (smart blocks is really useful if you want to create a 7/24 working show)

It's a streaming radio software. As said above it's not a media player and once it starts playing changing songs is not easy. Also it's not an easy install either.

Check if your streams has correct settings. You have to manually set some stuff.
  • Install airtime with a webserver,
    Show your library as a watched folder,
    Create a show,
    Add content to your show (smart blocks is really useful if you want to create a 7/24 working show)

It's a streaming radio software. As said above it's not a media player and once it starts playing changing songs is not easy. Also it's not an easy install either.

Check if your streams has correct settings. You have to manually set some stuff.

How would I be able to install it on a Ubuntu 13.04 server with Apache?
  • If you install it with airtime-easy-setup, Apache is installed along with airtime.
  • If you install it with airtime-easy-setup, Apache is installed along with airtime.

I already have a apache webserver running on my  headless server. How would Airtime know the difference between apache's port and its port? They cannot use the same default port? So how would I change it?
  • Err...

You lost me Matt.
    You can have multiple sites setup and runnng on the same port with Apache.

Airtime, runs on ports 80 and 443 and a default config file IS setup automatically.

Airtime is also installed just like any website.
    Check /etc/apache2/sites/available/airtime-vhost.conf 

• Err...

You lost me Matt.
    You can have multiple sites setup and runnng on the same port with Apache.

Airtime, runs on ports 80 and 443 and a default config file IS setup automatically.

Airtime is also installed just like any website.
    Check /etc/apache2/sites/available/airtime-vhost.conf 

OK. I think I got it now.
  • If you had a webserver or similar  before you install airtime that was running on port 80 you either have to
    1. Run Airtime on another port (easiest)
    2. Create another virtual host and enable it (require a medium knowledge especially about virtual hosting)
    3. Run al other web service on other ports( little harder and sometimes not practical)

Here https://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/16216/101-virtual-hosting-for-dummies is the write up (I will update it for 14.04) also check the manual

Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Word of advice -- Apache has been security hardened for twenty years and Airtime hasn't.
  • Word of advice -- Apache has been security hardened for twenty years and Airtime hasn't.

OK. One more question. Can Airtime play .m4a Apple Lossless(ALAC) files?
  • Nope. Maybe someday.