Newscoop empty admin pages
  • Some of the admin pages are empty in our Newscoop 4.3.2. Especially the System Preferences has problems. The pages are really empty, i.e. also the page source only shows emptiness.

What seemed to help was increasing the memory_limit of PHP to 512MB (before it was set to 256MB). Unfortunately it only worked for a short time and now the pages are blank again. I changed the memory_limit back to 256MB.

I was adviced to upgrade Newscoop to the latest version, so we are now running 4.3.2, but that didn't help that much. After the upgrade in one browser the whole admin went blank (before it was only the System Preferences page). In an incognito window I was able to get to the System Preferences. Others are not so fortunate, they still get blank pages.

What is going on and how can I fix this?

We are running on PHP 5.5 in a shared hosting environment. (So not much tweaking of the Apache and others.) All browsers have been tested and are effected.

• 11 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
    to see error report you need to append 
    SetEnv APPLICATION_ENV development
    to file .htaccess

• Okay. The error message I get is "InvalidArgumentException: require() [function.require]: Unable to allocate memory for pool." (I am hesitant to post the full error messages on a public forum, so I hope this is enough.)

This sounds of course like there is not enough memory. So I increased the PHP memory_limit to 512MB (was 256MB). That fixes the problem for me and I now get an System Preferences page.

But I increased the memory before and after a while the page went blank again and for other users it never worked at all anyway. I can increase the memory_limit again, but where will this end. Also I was told that the system should work fine with only 256MB memory.

As adviced I updated Newscoop to the latest version, but that doesn't seem to help.

• To confirm what I assumed earlier. For me it works with 512MB memory_limit, but another user indeed still gets the memory error.
    Post edited by Roelof at 2015-03-18 06:12:00
  • Does anyone have an idea about what is going on? We haven't been able to work with Newscoop for several days now, so I hope we can find an solution quickly.
  • @Sourcefabric. I was told that you have no idea what is going on with this problem. What can I do to find out or help to find out what is going on? Because currently we are getting nowhere.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
    >For me it works with 512MB memory_limit

it doesn't work?
  • No it doesn't work, as I stated in the second part of that sentence

..., but another user indeed still gets the memory error.

And also as I said earlier:

But I increased the memory before and after a while the page went blank again and for other users it never worked at all anyway.

Which I can confirm once more. Since now my browser too shows only an empty page again. So the memory increase is only a temporary fix.

Post edited by Roelof at 2015-03-24 09:14:26
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Paweł MikołajczukPaweł Mikołajczuk
    Do you have enabled any database caching? Like memcached or redis? This should solve your issue.

• The system was set to use APC, so I disabled that. Currently the system is working again for me with 256MB memory limit. So I will ask the other users to test whether it works for them too. I will post back with the results.

I also found out that I made an error in the PHP version. It appears that this hosting package is stil on PHP 5.3 (so not 5.5). Could that be of any consequence in this case?
  • It seems that the problems are indeed fixed now.
    Thank you for your help.
  • I attached the image from Pawel for completeness. Problem was already resolved. 
    401 x 302 - 30K