airtime-liquids excessive CPU
  • Hello all,

Need help to configure my airtime.
    Do you know why this process "airtime-liquids" is taking so much ?
    Or maybe do you think this is a normal way ?

# top
    PID USER      PR   NI   VIRT  RES   SHR S %CPU %MEM   TIME+   COMMAND
    18392 pypo       5 -15   640m   33m 5128 S 55.7   1.7   32:38.34 airtime-liquids

# uptime
    16:01:46 up 2 days, 23:57,  2 users,  load average: 0.91, 1.10, 1.26

My hardware configuration :
    # cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor       : 0
    vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
    cpu family      : 6
    model           : 15
    model name      : VIA Nano processor U2250 (1.6GHz Capable)
    stepping        : 3
    cpu MHz         : 1600.000
    cache size      : 1024 KB
    fpu             : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level     : 10
    wp              : yes
    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc up rep_good nopl pni monitor vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr rng rng_en ace ace_en ace2 phe phe_en lahf_lm
    bogomips        : 3192.00
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 128
    address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

346 files in music directory on a 300Gb partition.

/var/log :
    lots of message coming from : pypoliqqueue.py 
    With INFO like this :
     INFO - [pypoliqqueue.py : main() : line 54] - New schedule received: {u'2015-01-22-15-34-17': {u'independent_event': False, u'end': datetime.datetime(2015, 1, 22, 15, 38, 30), u'fade_out': 500, u'show_name': u'La Pile Eclectique', 'file_ready': True, u'uri': u'/music/imported/1/cadence weapon/afterparty babies/unknown-in search of the youth crew-178kbps.mp3', u'cue_in': 0, 'dst': u'/var/tmp/airtime/pypo/cache/scheduler/228.mp3', u'start': datetime.datetime(2015, 1, 22, 15, 34, 17), u'replay_gain': -6.38, u'row_id': 90143, u'cue_out': 253.205, u'type': u'file', u'id': 228, u'fade_in': 500...................................

Any help really welcome !

And Thanks All for this really great tool !! 

• 7 Comments sorted by
  • nothing to worry about here ,you just not reading top right

so at the top of top it tells you your overall cpu usage and summary of what is taking place
    lets say that is 25%
    The detail section below shows single process effects
    so if the single process pypo is using 55% of that 25% so in fact you are just using 12.5% of total  cpu usage
    mine runs between 25% and 40% if you watch the movement

The logs are just showing you what process is taking place and is normal
    you can set the logs to 2 and it will only show when there is a warning.not recommended though

VOISSES
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • nothing to worry about here ,you just not reading top right

so at the top of top it tells you your overall cpu usage and summary of what is taking place
    lets say that is 25%
    The detail section below shows single process effects
    so if the single process pypo is using 55% of that 25% so in fact you are just using 12.5% of total  cpu usage
    mine runs between 25% and 40% if you watch the movement

The logs are just showing you what process is taking place and is normal
    you can set the logs to 2 and it will only show when there is a warning.not recommended though

VOISSES
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Hi,

By the way, your CPU is not a race car... (Online dedicated server??)
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=VIA+Nano+U2250+(1.6GHz+Capable)

Liquid soap, which is the engine for sound processing behind Airtime, always proceeds the same way:
    - decoding of sound files to plain wave format
    - encode each stream as defined by user

If you decide to use the 3 streams proposed by airtime webUI, this means that there are 4 decoding or coding processes running at the same time.

This can be even more CPU intensive if you define other sound sources in a script: each of them will be decoded in addition.

Fred
    Post edited by Frédéric Perrod at 2015-01-22 12:21:52
    Etheractis - Digital Online Media
    http://www.etheractis.fr/?-Radio-

• Hi,

By the way, your CPU is not a race car... (Online dedicated server??)
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=VIA+Nano+U2250+(1.6GHz+Capable)

Liquid soap, which is the engine for sound processing behind Airtime, always proceeds the same way:
    - decoding of sound files to plain wave format
    - encode each stream as defined by user

If you decide to use the 3 streams proposed by airtime webUI, this means that there are 4 decoding or coding processes running at the same time.

This can be even more CPU intensive if you define other sound sources in a script: each of them will be decoded in addition.

Fred

Exactly!! Plus with Opus in particular, it's generally recalculating 44.1 sources like CDs over to the codec-fixed 48khz rate on the fly. That's not computationally cheap to do either.
  • Thanks all for your really reassuring comment !
    I stop two of my stream. Only 192 now, will see for other stream later.

@Fredereic : Yes we are at online

Thanks bye.

• You're welcome ;)

If your project needs more power, keep only icecast on your server and install an airtime instance on a more powerfull machine. This works really well and it's easy to settle.

Tell me if you want to try this conf, I can setup a VM for you, for testing purpose.

Fred
    Etheractis - Digital Online Media
    http://www.etheractis.fr/?-Radio-
  • Thanks for this proposal Frederic,

I will think about this in the futur !