Show consistently cuts out 15-20 minutes before end time
  • We have a radio station that uses Airtime and Icecast to broadcast to our FM tower and also online.  We have live DJ's between 5am and 10pm and use Mixxx to push a stream to Airtime during those hours. From 10pm to 5am, we have an overnight automation show in Airtime that takes over with tracks we add in prior to the 10pm cut-over.  We fill the show with songs/advertising/etc all the way up to within seconds from the 5am cut-over.  Every single morning, the show cuts out sometime between 4:40-4:45am and continues to be dead air until the next show at 5am, which is the stream from Mixxx.  I attached the Icecast log file as well as the pyp-liquidsoap log file.  For this particular example, Icecast lists "MercyMe - Here With Me" as the last song played, but we actually had 4 more tracks scheduled in Airtime.  I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I can do to diagnose the issue.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
  • 11 Comments sorted by
  • Have you tried Airtime Pro?
  • your problem is configuration

You should schedule your dj as show.you have the master  overide the schedule play

look at these two areas
    #overwriting and locking out the schedule for all the events in the log maybe too much person with master credentials
    2015/01/08 04:40:43 [lang:3] live dj connected
    2015/01/08 04:40:43 [lang:3] Live DJ authenticated: False

#is connected at 5pm
    2015/01/08 05:00:00 [server:3] New client: localhost.
    2015/01/08 05:00:00 [lang:3] streams.live_dj_start
    2015/01/08 05:00:00 [server:3] Client localhost disconnected.

VOISSES

Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • I guess I'm confused as to why it cuts out right at 4:45am when the overnight automation show is supposed to run until 5am.  Then at 5am, we have morning show that starts where the DJ takes over in Mixxx.  No one is at the DJ computer at 4:45am, so it's not like someone is trying to push the Mixxx stream to Airtime prematurely.  I attached more of the log going earlier in back in time.  I see a lot of "live dj connected" and "live DJ authenticated: false", but it was still working without issue before 4:40am.

Roger, Airtime Pro is hosted remotely, correct?  If we were doing an online-only station, we would probably go that route.  But since we're also pushing the stream to a an FM transmitter, we prefer just to keep everything local and not Internet-dependent.
  • Just asking the obvious question: Are all of your clocks and timezones correct? The Unix Clock, The hardware clock, The Airtime Clock (yes there is one) and are they all synchonised to a time server?
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • That's a very good question.  The UNIX clock syncs to time.nist.gov daily, so I know that is correct.  As far as the Airtime clock, if the "Station time" on the top right in the web GUI is identical to the UNIX time, does that mean they're both synced?  Or do I have to look somewhere else?  I don't think that would be the issue just because when the overnight automation show kicks on at 10pm, it's always right on the minute.
  • OK that leaves the Hardware clock.. and Unix clock drift. I sync my hardware clock to NIST every 5 mins by the way, cos i was getting millseconds drift. I then sync Unix time to that. All timezones everywhere are set to UTC.
    Airtime's scheduling system was cobbled up from at least 3 GNU systems. It wouldn't surprise me if something grabbed the hardware clock time.

Post edited by John Chewter at 2015-01-08 17:27:14
  • I'll change the syncing so it runs more frequency, but I wouldn't think it would be 15 minutes off each day.  The hardware clock seems to be very close to the UNIX clock too:

root@airtime:~# hwclock
    Thu 08 Jan 2015 04:24:49 PM CST  -0.708009 seconds
    root@airtime:~# date
    Thu Jan  8 16:24:58 CST 2015
  • Yeah, seems unlikely. I was getting clock creep that screwed me over at midnight.
  • I think what Voisses is saying is right on. Seems like the proramming
    that starts back up at 5am is taking over. Or it could be that its using
    the 15 minutes to begin processing the stream from the overnight show
    you have scheduled.

By the way, I love MercyMe
  • Just an idea : couldn't it be related to an eventual crossfade between tracks ? I mean, the total duration of tracks overlapping each an other is shorter than the total time of each track added without overlapping. I'm not sure that the remaining time displayed when filling shows takes in account this fact ? Not sure if what I say is clear enough, I'm bad english speaker.
  • Is there any way to find out whether or not it's using the 15 minutes to begin processing the stream from the overnight show?  What would it be processing?  We don't record any of our shows.

I initially thought that too about the crossfade.  But I cross-referenced the Airtime playlist track start times with the Icecast log and they are spot on.  The last song that was played was at 4:40am, even though we had 4 more songs scheduled after that.