What Problems Are You Having with installing on TRUSTY
  • The most common problem I had with it was

1. When I upgrade from precise to trusty I had to go to the manual and copy the minimal install instruction found here http://sourcefabric.booktype.pro/airtime-25-for-broadcasters/manual-installation/
    2. from a clean install all was well except it will not connect to icecast.There are two solutions to this,Change the stream to mp3 or open the icecast xml and create an ogg mount like this airtime_128.ogg

What other installation problem you have?

They say there are issues with silian !

Good Luck

VOISSES

Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • 24 Comments sorted by
  • Virtual hosting fix is here
    and needed if you run other service or application on the same machine as airtime

https://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/comment/31246#Comment_31246

VOiSSES
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
  • Hi Voisses.

I've been following option #2 above. I add sourcforge to the repository list and install with apt-get.

Connecting to icecast isn't a problem.  What's happening is my airtime-liquidsoap daemon won't run, or stops running.  I have tried various ways to start the daemon 
    service aitime-liquidsoap start
    invoke-rc.d airtime-liquidsoap start
    service aitime-liquidsoap start-with-monit
    invoke-rc.d airtime-liquidsoap start-with-monit

Airtime-check-systems shows
    LIQUIDSOAP_PROCESS_ID          = FAILED

I have attached full output and a copy of the airtime-check-system.log

I had already worked out a solution to the virtual server issue.

I have had airtime working successfully on 12.04 but I didn't want to be hanging around on an old distro.

I'm at about the point of giving up on installing on 14.04, at least for now, but the process has still been worthwhile.  It has introduced me to liquidsoap and I have put together a few scripts to send playlists to icecast.  So I have achieved my main purpose.  :)

I'm looking at a few other open-source web GUIs and there's always Centova Cast. :)

However, it would be nice to crack Airtime so it's there as an option.  
  • There is an updated liquidsoap version that needs to be installed. That will probably fix it. Take a look at the new Shampoo, another Liquidsoap based system, somewhat similar to Airtime and designed for Debian - but I got it running fine on Ubuntu. In my tests I found it very stable and usable, but not quite as slick or  'cool' to look at as Airtime. 'Working' seems better than 'cool', at this point in the war..
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2014-12-20 05:02:45
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • I have the latest Liquidsoap installed.  It doesn't help.

In fact, I tried with the version with airtime.  Same result.  I need the latest version to run LS scripts with the up-to-date commands.

Thanks for the tip on Shampoo.  I was wondering which one to go with and a recommendation helps. 

I'll probably leave it for now as I got a handle on basic Liquidsoap scripting and have a playlist feeding to my icecast server so I have my main objective achieved.  Also, it randomizes the playlist which is what I wanted.  Also, the shows I set up in Airtime were short on scheduled hours.  I scheduled a 24 hour show repeating each day but I only had 5 hours of songs.  (Silly Christmas tunes.)  After that, silence.  My Liquidsoap script just keeps playing a random order forever, so a better solution.

For now I'm all sorted.  I'll get back to Shampoo and Airtime in a while.  There are some things I like about Airtime, like the way it makes it's own mounts available, especially custom ones for shows.  I've learned a lot about icecast over the last week and I could see that several solutions can be combined.  As I learn Liquidsoap that will make me able to tinker with the Airtime scripts. Hopefully things will stabilize with Airtime.  
  • I am not going anywhere from Airtime soon and so first what brought me to Airtime.

Long before I looked at Campcaster around 2008 ,it just never "cut It",never came back until 2013 as I troll the net for solution like you are doing now.

I wanted a
    • web-based software
    • a remote type that when I am on the road I could use.
    • an open source alternative to all the features that my Play-Out Needed

If that' is not what you are looking for then ,I can tell you ,you will be looking a long time because all software have its own complain.

The liquidsoap by itself offers little advantage over many others like Winamp,foobar2000. and becomes a standalone .

Although I looked a shampoo ,it never wash my hair.

here are some things you could have considered
    • Create 5 hours smart blocks x 5  and slot them in.You then would have the flexibility of changing them  to do ad inserts etc,why reinvent the wheel,for learning purpose good to know the Intricacy.Like I would say,I am the driver,all I want to know is basic mechanics to have the car keep running.I stupidly pull down a car once every nuts and bolts,got everything back in but it never start throttle  and keep up.It died.The mechanic came and said stick to computer VOISSES,then he put the timing light and BAM its easy. I learn delegation  and feedback gets the work done.
    • I must say,I have a Play-out Front end, I Uses,Love it bad,Airtime integrates seamlessly with everything from Itunes , virtual dj,Sam's you name it.So I can go to someone using Itunes as their Play-out ,install Airtime,wet their appetite with a few of its feature and they just keep asking for more.If you take the pilot implementation approach you are set .I have met people who uses software that runs on expired windows and they are just asking for more.
    • My biggest problem was the empty content on a Monday (mainly  first day of the week sporadically  )  for Linked Show and @Bart has made a recommendation on that https://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/17132/every-new-month-first-few-days-messed-up, I am now trying it but will keep my backup script.
    • I have done a few fixes I think is important like the Tunein Api,the silence fixed with autodj,and this have made me achieve 80% of what I want. or need to have a customer satisfied.
    • My intent next year is to install as much Airtime as possible.I am now working with the PHP Last FM Api doing some modification to work with the Airtime minus the installation of all the plug-ins.
    • I Love liquidsoap,it remind me of a coding language I used often but sometimes it get nervous if too much is done to it my concepts is
    1. Delegate and delegate and more delegate,so you will not find me choking one machine with everything,I will use hardware for things like compression,limiting.dynamic enhancement bass and treble boast.do not need a bulky software when the machine doing other task.so no need for all the plugins
    2. I general have long relationships,even human,cause i never keep substituting all and sundry try to find the best and :x Airtime we are getting their baby.I love to stick to the evil I know until we amicably depart.Through airtime I learnt of the many encoders as I tried to get a best fit
    3. My software spits out metadata separately to a text file,I have both a PHP script and a liquidsoap script I used to pull in external metadata to airtime .do not know which one I love more yet
    • I am a team player and relay runner,Airtime run part of the race I will take the baton and pass it to the next receiver hoping we all finished the race

All in all,I admire Airtime and you will find me here as long as it last,When I will be able to maybe forked it on my own,should it die.Just Kidding.

Early next year its social media integration Like facebook and twitter

VOISSES

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2014-12-20 12:59:39
  • Do not Install the Repository Version of Liquidsoap ,if you are going to install Airtime.

Airtime uses it own compiled versions of Liquidsoap and the library and scripts are stored differently.

Most people do this in order to use the plug-ins but the Airtime liquidsoap do not have some of these plugins like laspda

Here https://wiki.sourcefabric.org/display/CC/Building+Liquidsoap+from+Source is an outdated explanation of how to compiled Liquidsoap to use the current versions but should get you on the way

Please contribute to update it if you attempt this.

If you do have both version on your system ,the check system will say liquidsoap failed.

You will then have to UN-installed the Repository Version

VOISSES

Please 
  • Hi Voisses.

It's great that Airtime fits your needs and you should certainly stick with it.  I found a solution that suits me (Liquidsoap, which I found via Airtime) and that will do me for now.  I will keep an eye on Airtime and may come back to it later.

Regarding some of what you said.

The liquidsoap by itself offers little advantage over many others like Winamp,foobar2000. and becomes a standalone .

Liquidsoap has offered me an ENORMOUS advantage over winamp and the like.  I have it installed on a cloud server running ubuntu.  it starts up on boot and runs a randomized playlist, 24/7 which feeds to icecast.  That's what I wanted.  Winamp must run on my windows computer, at home, using extra power, and as far as I know won't randomize playlists and keep them going and automatically boot. 

Although I looked a shampoo ,it never wash my hair.

I started on shampoo and found the installation process far too involved for my level of skill.  Well, I'm sure I can come to grips with it in time, but I have other things to do.   My main objective has been met, so I don't have the pressing need.

Create 5 hours smart blocks x 5  and slot them in.

This seems to me just an awkward workaround which still doesn't get my result.  The playlist would still be static.  I want a randomized order.

As for Airtime, I tried uninstalling the latest liquidsoap and installing with Airtime but still had the same problem.  But given that I have embraced liquidsoap for scheduling my randomized playlist I would want the latest version anyway.  (I tried scripting with the version that comes with airtime and couldn't get it going.  It seems the language has changed. )

So it seems that for now I would need Airtime running on a separate server (I have had it running successfully on 12.04 and from what you say it would run on 14.04 with the Airtime version of liquidsoap.)  But if I had to go to those lengths it seems I may as well pay for Centova Cast.  That would give me more features, particularly random playlists.

All the best.

Regards,

Cat

• >>The
    playlist would still be static.  I want a randomized order.

This can be done and I do it. Add a randomized smart block to a playlist. Add the play list to a repeating linked show - all my shows are then different. One person reported that it didn't work for them, but it works for me every time. The shows are randomized at the time that the show instance is created. Each time the same playlist is added to a new show instance - it randomizes.

• John, I don't understand what you mean as I can't see how a playlist is created other that in the show.  However, I will accept that it can be done.  When I come back to Airtime I will look into that.  For now things are working well with Liquidsoap.

By the way, I just did a fresh install of Airtime on a clean system.  (I wanted to go back and check how my Liquidsoap script runs.)

While I didn't get the problem before of a during installation Liquidsoap still fails after a short time.  Attempts to restart it are unsuccessful.

AIRTIME_SERVER_RESPONDING      = OK
    KERNEL_VERSION                 = 3.13.0-36-generic
    MACHINE_ARCHITECTURE           = x86_64
    TOTAL_MEMORY_MBYTES            = 501820
    TOTAL_SWAP_MBYTES              = 0
    AIRTIME_VERSION                = 2.5.1
    OS                             = Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS x86_64
    CPU                            = Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630L v2 @ 2.40GHz
    WEB_SERVER                     = Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu)
    PLAYOUT_ENGINE_PROCESS_ID      = 17523
    PLAYOUT_ENGINE_RUNNING_SECONDS = 444
    PLAYOUT_ENGINE_MEM_PERC        = 3.2%
    PLAYOUT_ENGINE_CPU_PERC        = 0.9%
    LIQUIDSOAP_PROCESS_ID          = -1
    LIQUIDSOAP_RUNNING_SECONDS     = 0
    LIQUIDSOAP_MEM_PERC            = 0.0%
    LIQUIDSOAP_CPU_PERC            = 0.0%
    MEDIA_MONITOR_PROCESS_ID       = 17384
    MEDIA_MONITOR_RUNNING_SECONDS  = 447
    MEDIA_MONITOR_MEM_PERC         = 3.0%
    MEDIA_MONITOR_CPU_PERC         = 0.0%
    -- Your installation of Airtime looks OK!
    root@airtime:~# airtime-check-system
    AIRTIME_SERVER_RESPONDING      = OK
    KERNEL_VERSION                 = 3.13.0-36-generic
    MACHINE_ARCHITECTURE           = x86_64
    TOTAL_MEMORY_MBYTES            = 501820
    TOTAL_SWAP_MBYTES              = 0
    AIRTIME_VERSION                = 2.5.1
    OS                             = Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS x86_64
    CPU                            = Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630L v2 @ 2.40GHz
    WEB_SERVER                     = Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu)
    PLAYOUT_ENGINE_PROCESS_ID      = 17523
    PLAYOUT_ENGINE_RUNNING_SECONDS = 464
    PLAYOUT_ENGINE_MEM_PERC        = 3.2%
    PLAYOUT_ENGINE_CPU_PERC        = 0.0%
    LIQUIDSOAP_PROCESS_ID          = FAILED
    LIQUIDSOAP_RUNNING_SECONDS     = 0
    LIQUIDSOAP_MEM_PERC            = 0%
    LIQUIDSOAP_CPU_PERC            = 0%
    -- Displaying log file /var/log/airtime/pypo-liquidsoap/ls_script.log
    -- 2014/12/22 07:14:02 [server:3] Client localhost disconnected.
    -- 2014/12/22 07:14:04 [threads:3] Thread "http polling" terminated (0 remaining).
    -- 2014/12/22 07:14:04 [main:3] Cleaning downloaded files...
    -- 2014/12/22 07:14:04 [main:3] Freeing memory...
    -- 2014/12/22 07:14:04 >>> LOG END
    --
    --
    MEDIA_MONITOR_PROCESS_ID       = 17384
    MEDIA_MONITOR_RUNNING_SECONDS  = 467
    MEDIA_MONITOR_MEM_PERC         = 3.0%
    MEDIA_MONITOR_CPU_PERC         = 0.0%
    -- There appears to be a problem with your Airtime installation.

• Go to the Library Screen. New/Playlist
    This new named playlist can be added to the show as an item-
  • I was stumped for a while but I found it under Media builder.  The shuffle option.

Thanks for that, John.  That would certainly solve the randomize issue.

However, Liquidsoap has opened up some other options for me.  I'm loathe to abandon the latest version now. I'm looking at building a jukebox for second life.  

Do you think it might be possible to get both version of liquidsoap running at the same time?  Perhaps Airtime could point at a different path.

By the way, my new install still isn't working. Liquidsoap is not running.
  • Trusty is not supported! Use Precise 12.04.5 LTS -- supported with security updates until 2017 -- or better yet go with Deb Wheezy 7.7. 99.999% of your problems will magically go away if you use a supported distro rather than trying to wrestle with all of the issues Canonical created with 14...
  • I have Trusty working - even on several ARM devices that is not even PC based!
    Getting it working on Trusty is not hard for a Pro - but it's damned hard for hobbyist!
    The not-obvious thing is making sure you have the most up to date LiquidSoap which means adding a new repository & key-ring. The repo that airtime uses shows that LiquidSoap is the latest. Well, it is IN THAT REPO. You need a different repo from the LS site.
  • I am using 14.04 and it works perfectly.There is a package in the repository.and It install without any issues for me locally.

for cloud or remote ,you need to make sure that in the airtime config

1. Database and rabbitmq are run locally.well the easiest answer to this never run database remotely best replicated if possible (conditional)
    2. Your host name for api client an airtime general

If your host name is improperly configure you will have issue so ensure that it is

when you install it will say all is ok but you need to change the stream codec to mp3 or place an ogg mount in the icecast.xml

Thats it.

VOISSES

I am on Vacation

• And manually set up the airtime apache virtual host (easy)

• @Catcher Rye
    Not because I am Santa you want me laughing "HUH-HUH"
    Liquidsoap has offered me an ENORMOUS advantage over winamp and the like.

•   I have it installed on a cloud server running ubuntu. Darn you cannot see that is standalone.Can you now transmitted to local Transmitter.Can you access it without login to your droplets or bucket.Do not get hook up on the "Cloud Server" its how they "bamboozle" you to put your information in the public that all on sundry can hack it.Yes the core software by the owners should not allow hacking but ,if you put a script on there,how do you isolate the hack droplets or bucket.Make sure you know something about security cause maybe when your system is full paralysed you realized.Yes Cloud server is the way of the future,Yes but it best you put your server at the door way and the public can just bang on it.In Fact this concept as being around long ages ago.We called it Dedicated servers and Virtual Private servers,but the cost was so exorbitant the normal person could not afford it.With technology become so cheaper and your information can be sold.Then why not call it cloud server and Rain on the person.I used it and in now way advocating against cloud servers.but God,whomever He is, do not boast on something we do not have all the facts on
    •   it starts up on boot and runs a randomized playlist, 24/7 which feeds to icecast.  That's what I wanted.  Winamp must run on my windows computer, at home, using extra power, and as far as I know won't randomize playlists and keep them going and automatically boot.Wake up,why would I listen to a station playing just music rotating 24/4,When I can go to Pandora,Tunein,Rdio,Spotify,Soundcloud,Youtube and many others,Where I Can Customized it the way I want  like a burger.it seems you do not pay fro your cloud server or have any listener like myself .Cause once you hit that free limit ,its Money Money. RADIO SHOULD INFORM ,EDUCATE,ENTERTAIN and provide a medium to smooth the Mood
    • Oh by the way install winamp it does more than what you say,you can pull down the artist and comment right over the Air.I wonder How you go on Air with that Cloud Server?

Please soak what I say as a sponge.I will declare I AM A FOOL and I like being around like mind people who are open to suggestion.Not the smart ones who already Knows everything.

I am VOISSES

HUH HUH HUH

people
    Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2014-12-22 13:52:33
  • And manually set up the airtime apache virtual host (easy)

I fixed my Virtual hosting tutorial to reflect that

https://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/comment/31246#Comment_31246
  • Voisses,

I've told you I have something that suits my needs for now.  I think I qualified this giving due respect for your own preferences.  You say you are open to suggestions.  How about that there is an alternative that may suits someone for their short-term purposes. 

For what I'm playing with at the moment security is not a major concern.  I'm not trying to cater to a sophisticated listening audience. I'm just trying to generate some background music for a virtual word simulator.  ALSO, Liquidsoap scripting opens up the possibility of queuing user requests via in-world objects.

I fully acknowledge that my skills in this area are not up to your level.  Nevertheless they are getting the job done to my satisfaction.  I'm not running a server critical to an enterprise.  Right now it's a hobby.

However, I suspect that none of this will make any difference to you.  It seems you have no interest in understanding my priorities. All you hear is that I don't want the  solution you hold so dear (for now) and so that makes me a stinky-poo-poo.  :)

You're coming across as a bit unhinged. Maybe you responded after a bad day.

That being said I do appreciate your previous advice.  As it turns out I followed Roger's advice and switched to Debian.

Regards,

Catcher

Post edited by Catcher Rye at 2014-12-23 06:38:11
  • Roger Wilco,

The first time you suggested switching to Debian you didn't give any reason and I wrote the comment off as a typical distro-cult statement preference.  :)

I took your more recent comments on board and tried a Debian 7 install.  Indeed, as you said all problems magically disappeared.  Thanks for that advice.  I am now running a successful install under Debian.  Hats off to you.

I still want to run my liquidsoap scripts.  I'm trying to work out whether I can do this with the current installation (nothing in /etc/liquidsoap seems to run).

I'm wondering whether I should attempt recompiling liquidsoap under some new name and use that separate from the Airtime install.  What do you think?

Regards,

Cat

An update:  A little tweak and I can now run standalone Liquidsoap scripts along Airtime using the Airtime installation of LS.

Thanks again Roger for putting me onto Debian.  If you have any issues with Ubuntu Trusty then you may want to do the same.
    Post edited by Catcher Rye at 2014-12-23 07:41:35
  • I know I am short-tempered and have anger mangement issues but is it the way people approach things that make me have zero tolerance ? May be! and why
    1. If you go  to the Theatre,the fast food,a restaurant and others.It will usually say " Only food purchase here should be consumed here"
    2. If you go to Maths Class although something related , no one expect you to be discussing Physics there
    3. If you come to Airtime ,I would expect you to be discussing Airtime,
    and so the paradigm of the three little monkey's holds true"See no Evil,Hear No Evil,Speak No Evil" We call this "Protocol","Political Correct" or "Plain Good Manners".

I once went to a Wedding where they had a NS7 and Serato on the Machine,Their Computer froze,I was schedule to do the Dance aspect of it.

I whip out my Machine with MIXXX and Linux,One of the comment someone made ,it not compatible.I then use my IPOD to do an interlude,use the auto learn feature and had the crowd for some 35 songs while they try bring a machine from their home.

I used other software,in fact I once mention it and was "slammed",cause they although my focus was on getting that playout to work.Not knowing my focus was to make airtime worked with what I have.
    If that is your approach I am on board.If not then Ignore my comments.

Let me tell you how arrogant and impatient I am,If I was a forum moderator,admin etc.You come in to "Diss" not as in discuss but to complain,I would spend hours trolling and just yanking,dumping and banning.Sound Autocratic! no its meant to teach you that  "There is a time and place for everything".
    I would not restrict your Freedom of Speech,but there are millions of place to complain,just not in my forum that is meant to help others.

You would not be allowed to "crap in my yard" and I do not "whip you ...." (4 letter word) so you do not come back doing it and I have to clean up. as Donald Trump(google it) would say "You are Fired". -

No go out have some fun and even if you do not like Christmas like I do,Its a free day,
    1. The Kids are outta school
    2. Most people are out of work on holidays
    3. Its quiet for most of the day
    4. There is free food all around

Go enjoy Life and stop complaining

Remember Knowledge is wasted if you do not impart it on others and today you are the only "A" student.

Tomorrow the whole class will be,so I am never proud to say I know more than anyone else,I am always eager to learn from anyone else"

Two person came here looking for solution

1. for how to use fallback.skip .( I fully implement it on my TOH  time signal.and gave him all the suggestion.but ,he cursed me)
    2. another about  using Jack,i commented already on delegation,You always want a single dedicated machine  for playou.and Jack has many time lock up on me

You mention RogerWilco. 7 years ago when to fully switch to Use Linux,I download a compromised repository (look it up),I Later saw myname.com.I am not a brilliant to used raw debian although its the main repository.

Just to know that Mark see Debian flavor as a business is sufficient to me.Knowing I came from Fedora (Red Hat Then)

Others flavour of debian changes constantly but read the Man pages.

So since I have bore you sufficiently.

Go have a fun and a Life and may the higher powers impart the force on you that you come back To Airtime.Come back Home anytime You are welcome

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

VOIsses
    Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2014-12-23 13:43:01
  • Voisses. Take the meds and CALM DOWN!
  • Hmmm.  Should I bother?

Ah well, I'm on holidays now. :)

"I know I am short-tempered and have anger mangement issues but is it the way people approach things that make me have zero tolerance ?" .. Voisses

Nobody makes you do anything of the sort.  That is your own choice. The way I approached things doesn't inherently present zero-tolerance as the only choice.

“It isn’t what happens to us that causes us to suffer; it’s what we say to ourselves about what happens.” ~Pema Chodron

About this:

"Go enjoy Life and stop complaining"

Excellent advice.  You should take it. :)

"Remember Knowledge is wasted if you do not impart it on others and today you are the only "A" student."

Certainly.  I very much appreciate your advice, as I have said.  You got me along further.  Unfortunately I didn't quite get to my solution.

"Two person came here looking for solution" etc..

I'm not responsible for your previous experiences.  I have expressed appreciate for your help and merely stated that I wasn't getting to my solution and would probably have to look at alternatives.  

"Come back Home anytime You are welcome"

I'm already back to Airtime.  I have it working on Debian - with my liquidsoap script working. :)

Surely we can leave it there.

Happy holidays.

Catcher
  • "Come back Home anytime You are welcome" Hmm.
    Voisses, I will remind you again, this is NOT your personal sandbox, you cannot monopolize all of the toys and stage. You are just one EQUAL member
    of this community of many hundreds. Like me, you are just  another coffee bean in the jar. Now, I like coffee, but please calm down, be polite, respectful of others, terse and to the point please. Thank you and best wishes from your Uncle John.
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2014-12-23 21:20:37
  • Kudos!