Sorry to say this but....
  • I'm really disappointed with the lack of support for Airtime.

I've spent months trying to get this thing working properly and every time I fix one problem another one rears it head.

Months of trying stuff out all due to the fact that airtime can't schedule a file dynamically, something that any scheduling software should be able to do out of the box without any modifications.

From what I can see (and from personal experience), questions that could easily be answered by the Airtime dev team prevent us from being able to fix things in a timely fashion for ourselves. Instead it's wait, wait, wait until another user mentions something that potentially helps you out.

There's just not enough of a community here to expect answers from other users. If there were thousands of members this probably wouldn't be an issue. There are a few here that have been really helpful though, John Chewter being the main one, but there seems to be way more people asking questions then being able to answer them (which I guess is true of any forum to be fair), but surely the Airtime DEV team could step up and help out a little maybe once a week or so? I'm sure that there are people here that would even pay for some support.

I understand that this is open source and for the most part there is no money to be made from it, but a little help would really be appreciated from those of us that have invested our time in this software.

I know I'm not the only one pulling my hair out here...

• 7 Comments sorted by
  • Just want to add...

I really like Airtime, i'm not trashing it, I just want it to work properly.

The way I look at it, as it's open source, the more issues and bug fixes we can address here in the forum as users is going to make the developer's job's much easier in the long run.

I know that v.2.6 is supposed to address a lot of the issues people have been having, but we can't all wait around for that release if we are running live stations.

Airtime has the potential to be amazing, I for one am prepared to help out as much as I can to help it achieve that goal, but i'm not a coder. I can however figure out good workarounds within the OS (using cron jobs etc) to makes things a little smoother until they are addressed in the software. But answers to simple questions that will enable me to do this are nowhere to be found :(
  • What issues are you facing add
    Me on skype Ecigwales as we shall talk
  • PUTTING ISSUES IN THE BUG TRACKER IS CRUCIAL.
    Nothing else much gets acted on.
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • Ade, I can fully underline your statement. This software has an enormous potencial - but as you say, the automation features are really poor. The fact, that there is already an improvement feature developed, but not deployed yet, really makes me desperate!! Additionally, nobody from development or pm team answered my questions or PMs too. I would really like to use Airtime on premise and support the software (unfortunately, I am no developer) by testing or whatever.

I know from several people in the community, that especially the automation feature is highly required! Maybe there would be a possibility to make a release branch only covering this feature?
  • That would be great Thorsten! Will it happen though?

@John, I've never understood how those github forks work. I've tried a few times, with various bits of software, but I just can't get my head around what I should be doing.
  • It's not my place to apologize for Airtime and I have no affiliation whatsoever, but this is an artefact of Open Source which is both negative AND positive.

It is rare to find top notch FREE PRICE support for any product or service, Open Source or otherwise.  I would submit that people who pay / donate to Airtime (or other products from SourceFabric) would not likely make the claim that they are lacking support.  If so, then there IS a very real problem.

Airtime simply does not have a large enough userbase to provide the free price support for the software, although this might be an opportunity for someone to develop a business model around that.  :D
    Post edited by krattai at 2014-09-22 12:31:44
  • Yes I totally agree.

I wasn't bashing Sourcefabric, I understand the concept of Open Source.

I was just saying that I wished that there was more help available so that we could help ourselves. The more of us that can fix problems, them more of us there will be to help others when then discover the platform for the first time.
    Post edited by Ade Hill at 2014-09-22 14:18:32