spliting airtime between 3 servers
  • I would like to split Airtime between 3 servers:
    1.  Postgresql db
    2. Air Time web interface
    3. icecast, liquidsoap

Can it be done?

• 7 Comments sorted by
  • It looks possible. Look at the airtime.conf file. The documentation mentions a handy command (airtime-update-db-settings) that updates "all of Airtime's database configuration files". They recommend you run this command if you modify the [database] section of airtime.conf

http://en.flossmanuals.net/airtime/configuration/ Check out the section called 'Configure the database'.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    afaik, only icecast can be hosted on another server.
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • that sucks :((
    I was hoping to remove a possible DDoS headache

• Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    I might be wrong, just give it a try and be sure to adapt appropriate systemfiles
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • that sucks :((
    I was hoping to remove a possible DDoS headache

DDoS headache how...?
  • Wade is totally right; beyond that, you probably should have the database served from another server.  
    This goes past just avoiding a ddos; you can then have a standby airtime server in case your primary goes down, if you run a load balancer in front of airtime, you can set sticky sessions on the LB, and let the LB handle failover - or use heartbeat, but I prefer letting the LB do it...

TL;DR: you should put the db on a different host and try to perf tune it.

• There's absolutely no logical or technological reason to intentionally separate the Airtime UI from the DB or LS. None. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

If anything, Icecast could (and should) be separated to keep your Airtime server from becoming a lightning rod on the public Interwebs. But even then, if someone nefarious really wants to attempt to DDoS your Icecast box, they're going to do it.

And at that point, under serious attack, your upstream provider is likely to notice and take the appropriate countermeasures with or without you.
    Post edited by Roger Wilco at 2014-07-03 12:45:58