Allowing media uploader access without being signed in
  • Hey guys,

Before anybody says "this is a terrible idea for security reasons" please hear me out :)

Basically I'd like our DJ's to be able to upload their content directly to airtime but without all the bells & whistles.

As great as airtime is, the "DJ" user is way too over privileged in my mind. I don't want them to be able to see all of the other media library content, (even though they can't do anything with it), and all of the other information.

But most of all the reason for wanting to strip it all away is that airtime isn't the most intuitive software for newcomers and I can't expect every DJ on my station to take a crash course in how to use it just to be able to upload their shows.

So...

I've created a page that strips away everything other than the media loader, which I want to give to the DJ's (this will be password protected, but not using airtime authentication).

It's located in the airtime webroot and it works perfectly.. almost...

It will only import files if somebody with upload permissions is already logged into the system.

I understand why it has been done this way, I'm assuming that it's some kind of user validation going on after an upload is completed?
    But how can I bypass this security check or, if that's not possible, trick the system into thinking that there is always an admin logged in? Maybe some kind of cookie trick?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)

• 2 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    Max Jones said:

But most of all the reason for wanting to strip it all away is that airtime isn't the most intuitive software for newcomers and I can't expect every DJ on my station to take a crash course in how to use it just to be able to upload their shows.

All I can say is that we have about 20 DJs uploading content to airtime from 15-65yrs old and all kind of technically skills or unskills ;-)
    After creating a six-sided document with screenshots and a Video-Tutorial showing "How to upload and correct Title/Artist" any of these DJs understood everything without having one question afterwards.

You seem to handle your DJs like they're stupid, which is indeed the best way to think, when you are admin.
    But with a little guidance they can handle this without a problem.
    Just be sure to create a socalled "dummysafe" guide.
    I could offer my blueprint, but it's in german...

And the last to say for me: I would never offer upload possibility without authentication!

fg

Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • Still having withdrawal,so let me once again try to help.

All you need is an

Now key to it

1. create users directory and then place as a watch folder in your Airtime media folder

Finally

You can read the user rights as outlined above,they match what you intend to do,no need to strip or "bypass this security check " ,They are there for a reason.and you should more want to streghten your system than destroy them

So Once again "They Gonna Miss me when I am Gone"

Good luck

VOISSES

Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.