Icecast KH Built In
  • Suggestion for next release, an easy setup file that installs icecast KH.  More and more people are using streamlicencing.com and they cannto work with icecast 2.  I am hating shoutcast recently and yet having huge trouble installing KH.  I dont know if there are any disadvantages to using it but having it as part of the airtime-easy-setup package would be awesome!
    Radio Streaming World - http://www.radiostreamingworld.com - for all of your streaming requirements and everything to make your online radio a success under one roof!
  • 5 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Voisses TechVoisses Tech
    I could see the problem with that

KH is a forked project,Its not yet Accepted in any of the repositories..

If you Are seeking Stability you want to Stick to an official  Repositories for support etc.

Now its good if you could put a tutorial here so that people can compile and run KH.

I know some darn person will say my views are not represented of Sourcefabric but what the heck.

I am a practical person,I like GOOD suggestion and to debate what makes things better.
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • I had real trouble figuring it out but with the help of Karl Heyes last night we have KH up and running and step by step instructions to replace Ice 2 with Ice KH.  I will run some tests today and see if I can replicate it again on another server and if all works I will place the instructions here.  

Truth is that Shoutcast is hard to get (unless i am missing something) at the moment and frankly since their takeover etc god only knows where they are going.  Icecast being Open source is great and of course OGG means you can get a 128k mp3 quality with 64k so awesome for mobile listerns who are bandwidth conscious and of course stations who want more listener slots for their bandwidth.

The only downside to Icecast is that Streamlicensing.com (the blanket licensing company) cannot work with icecast BUT can work with KS so having KS available is in fact really important

Anyhooo, I am going top upgrade a couple of servers today and then if all goes well I wil post instructions here!
    Radio Streaming World - http://www.radiostreamingworld.com - for all of your streaming requirements and everything to make your online radio a success under one roof!
  • The Icacase 2-KH version has many advantages over standard Icecast 2. There are a few key benefits to using the KH version such as 
    Scaling, a single icecast can hande many more streams and listeners for your CPU... more bang for your buck 
    FLV wrappig of mp3 and aac streams making them compatible with flash playersw without the memory leak in the browser
    Various config options such as multi-homes relays, scalable auth engines, wildcard mountpoints etc

All the above are what Karl Heyes has informed me but for me the fact that using KH means Icecast is compatible with stremlicencing is a huge benefit as I am  really going off shoutcast right now!
    Setting up for a novice was a pain but with the help of Karl we got there and here is my step by step.  This is based on an Ubuntu system that has been installed with the airtime-easy-setup method and therefore has Icecast 2 already installed.
    In terminal:
    We need to downoad the file: 
    Unzip the file:
    tar xzf icecast-2.3.3-kh10.tar.gz
    Change to the directory created:
    cd icecast-kh-icecast-2.3.3-kh10
    Download and install some required repositories:
    sudo apt-get install libxslt1-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libvorbis-dev
    Set up and install:
    ./configure
    *check for errors in output as you may need to fix this or the next 2 commands wont work
    make
    sudo make install

NB: Your old icecast file will be in /usr/bin/icecast2
    Your new icecast file will be in /usr/local/bin/icecast

You will need to edit the following file:
    /etc/init.d/incecast2

Change DEAMON=/usr/bin/icecast2 to /usr/local/bin/icecast
    Stop the old Icecast Server:
    /etc/init.d/icecast2 stop
    You can use the existing XML for specific changes */etc/icecast2/icecast.xml
    Now reboot your server and log into your icecast at IP:8000 and in version you should see the KH suffix!

It worked for me but don't blame me if you self destruct during the process!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Mike, thanks for the detailed instructions :-) The KH branch is a good option for production servers, the only issue I know of is that it doesn't contain Icecast 2.4 features such as Opus streaming yet. Since most (or all?) distros still ship Icecast 2.3 that is only going to affect bleeding edge experimental streaming users.

Cheers!

Daniel 
  • Hi Daniel

Indeed but to be honest I spoke at length with Karl Heyes during the learning process and he seems pretty on the ball so I guess watch his github page to see new releases!

Now all I have to do is figure out that Kiwik lark!  Doing my head in!