Is Airtime suitable for both terrestrial and streaming radio?
  • Hi. I
    work at a commercial FM station and I’m planning to migrate our platform to
    Linux. I think Airtime it’s a very interesting software but I wander if it is
    ready for live broadcasting, scheduling announcements, jingles, on the fly
    music playlist by request and all the common stuff a terrestrial station does.
    Plus, I’ll like to stream all audio trough our website. What I like about
    Airtime is the really simple and intuitive interface that is easy to learn, something
    important to make the switch less traumatic for the rest of the employees. 

Thanks for your help and keep the good work

• 6 Comments sorted by
  • Hope you all enjoyed the holidays,I did.

Yes , I am 100% convince that its more than suitable.

Airtime Can be used in Two ways

1. Your Backend System, that is you will have all other systems send data to Airtime. This way you can have all your existing systems route to Airtime. You could use IDJC,Winamp,etc send  to Airtime and do all the features you mention
    2. Your Front-end Systems or Standalone. You will have to customized mainly the Ls script to meet these need.

In the meantime the Team at Airtime is constant upgrading and adding features as we speak.

I would urge you to look at the development demo here or test the stable demo here,Then contact the Airtime Staff for other ways they can assist you.

The one thing I can guarantee you is that Airtime is fully customisable,If you doubt me have a pop over to  tunein and search for my station VOISSES and listen near the TOH. etc.

I have fully customised mine fully.

Finally Open Source is wonderful because you almost take it anywhere you want.

Some of the biggest corporation today have taken Open Source to its highest and if you are serious about radio,then you will want to develope a customised system.

Wish you Luck

I will help through this Forum as much as I can

VOISSES

Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    sure it is!
    we use it at our FM Community Radio Station. Terrestrial & Webstream-Output.
    cheers
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • when using 100% flac files,  will airtime output lossless audio to alsa/audio interface, or everything is processed by liquidsoap bitrate before hardware out?
  • Hi. Thanks for the responses. I'm going to give it a try for sure
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich

when using 100% flac files,  will airtime output lossless audio to alsa/audio interface, or everything is processed by liquidsoap bitrate before hardware out?

afaik, any sound is gonna be transcoded
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • Hi Hoerich, this is no good. In this case I would recommend airtime exclusively for a web streaming station. A Terrestrial station should avoid any compression to the source audio.

Do you believe it is possible to tweak the code to output pcm/uncompressed audio to hardware out?