How do I make a live show, using line in from a USB mixer?
  • Hi.

I am running a small school radio station.

I noticed that there are options for line in.

I want to know if I am able to use the software as a media player. I want to be able to control the show with the mixer (we have four mics, and two rca ins). 
    I want to be able to hit play when I have finished talking, or use it to play commercials, but still stream out using airtime. We are only broadcasting internally... currently!

Is this possible? Or do I have to look somewhere else?

Thanks heaps! Matt Ellings
    Post edited by Andrey Podshivalov at 2014-05-02 04:07:25
  • 2 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Voisses TechVoisses Tech
    "I noticed that there are options for line in."

Basically there are two ways to do a line in to Airtime
    • Using a DSP/Broadcasting client      (Mixer--->DSP/Broadcasting client --->Streamer/Transmitter
    • Direct Linein to Airtime Core (this require a modification and advance skills) (search the forum I covered this topic)

You can read HERE to find some DSP/Broadcasting client .Some people find success with butt , M3w, and IDJC.download  one and use. The advantage of this method you get to process your outputs before sending to streamers or transmitters

I want to know if I am able to use the software as a media player. I want to be able to control the show with the mixer (we have four mics, and two rca ins).

IMHO. Do not use the software as a media player, use anything else Amarok,Itunes,Winamp,VirtualDj   or any other broadcast console software etc.

Set like your Jingles etc in the Artime calendar and backup playlist(create a 12/24hr playlist).

what I originally do is block out the first 10minutes for station breaks.

The big mistake people makes is to look for one software to do what they want.Most time these create problems with lockups and timeshifts

For me ,I use

• Airtime for Autodj ,schedules ,webstreams and outside (remote broadcast) and Push to Server(Icecast/shoutcast) *1
    • Rivendell as my broadcast desk *2
    • Amarok as my media player (Amarok was buggy when the shift from there core,2012-13).Amarok even have database storage and great Tagging with wikipedia plugins,that make your station Host looks brainy*2

*1  I use a modify Ls_Script for Autodj,Jingles,Samples  etc

*2 These can be connected to your mixer (with mic and Rca) and the line out passes to DSP/Broadcasting client 

Look at here you see a lot of ways to connect your input then to the DSP/Broadcasting client  and look also at Josh Tutorial here

I want to be able to hit play when I have finished talking, or use it to play commercials, but still stream out using airtime.

Two ways

1. Hardware with something like an AUTOCOMM
    2. Software  with silence detection  ( liquidsoap have a nice one if you modify your script)

Commericals and other schedule event can be handle by Airtime schedules or if modify the script by Liquidsoap.(you Can even create you own customize schedule with PHP ,Python or perl)

Finally Picture Airtime in a Datacenter miles from  You,You cannot Use any line input but you can stay connected with the world.

Although you suggest you want to use it internally but most I say to people create enviroments with Today Thoughts,Tommorrow Events and Next Week Changes.

So just create the Airtime server locally put it in a server cabinet,basement or sheds and then concentrate on what you want on the Playout desk

IMHO ,no matter what I love the web aspect of airtime , not the feature people expect it to have.

This makes Airtime Ideal to be place in the workflow chain of any existing station without pain.

Wish You luck

VOISSES

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2014-05-02 11:40:34
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • As mentioned before, the best way is to use a DSP software. If you're on Linux, IDJC could do what you need, as it allows to stream easily an internal playlist or an external source (via mixer -> soundcard line in).