Is airtime capable of simulcasting with substitutions?
  • I work for a traditional style cluster of radio stations with a separate online news site that is going to be simulcasting a national web stream across Canada online. The catch is we need to substitute our local news and promos for the ones on the stream we're fed. I would simply add the stream to the schedule for the allotted time between breaks but given that it is live the schedule is more of a suggestion than anything else.

I was thinking I could put the incoming web stream in the master source and select scheduled play when breaks occur however I can't figure out how or if it's even possible. Is it possible? Is there another way with airtime?

Worst comes to worst I take our voice track studio and have it mixed through the audio console using two computers but it would be amazing if airtime could do this instead. Any insight would be glorious and appreciated.
  • 4 Comments sorted by
  • We may be able to help you, if you can hop on the phone for a preliminary chat, and if we can help, We can set up a time to chat with my dev. He's the one that saw this question and thinks we can help, info@studios.com
    Post edited by Holly Hall at 2014-03-21 12:38:38
  • I am interested in similar - I have an idea of my own also.

No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • I've come up with something that will do the trick in a rough manner. Though this simple task really shows the limitations of airtime in a professional environment, more on this in a bit.

Using butt ( broadcasters use this tool ) or edcast I will feed a stereo mix of the incoming audio into the master source on the airtime server. From here it will be switched by an op as required. To schedule we will create audio files full of silence and add long jingled intros and tails to the files for when the master source is put to air and fill the breaks per usual. This was definitely much more complicated than expected but it will work and allow me to keep a studio free for regular use.

Now for my discovered limitations of airtime... 

Missing features:
    1. Cannot pause automation
    2. Cannot manually fire off next event
    3. Cannot import schedules ( logs )
    4. No talk break function ( insert silence for live talk over )
    5. No showlog for beds and jock jingles
    6. No voice track functionality
    I hope these eventually get in as without them I could never put airtime to use in our traditional stations but it will work for our streamed station in the interim.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    you've forgotten

- no automatic jingles/announces insertion