Liquidsoap
  • Hello
    I'm not very familiar with the workings of liquidsoap so please excuse the question. 

Can Liquidsoap pass  128k mp3 stream with out manipulating or breaking it down then rebuilding to a 128k mp3?

What I want to do is have all my audio files at 128k, or 98k, in Airtime and have that passed to Liquidsoap with it being modified by Liquidsoap and then outputted at 128k, or 98k if all files are at 98k, to Icecast or Shoutcast.

Is this possible within Liquidsoap via some script settings?

Or can the option encoder SHINE be available when setting up the streams? 
    Post edited by Reaz Baksh at 2014-02-16 17:24:58
  • 10 Comments sorted by
  • No Liquidsoap ALWAYS recodes. Sorry.
    You could feed directly into ICEcast.
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • How about enabling the SHINE option. Going directly to Icecast would disable the crossfade feature along with others.
  • These are Liquidsoap issues and you would probably do better in their forums. I already gave a good answer.

• [-X

This is not a liquidsoap issue from what I read. Liquidsoap is just like the engine,what you put in is what you get so if you want other rates you have to transcode it by putting in one rate or codecs and output  different rates and codecs

This is more a question of understanding what Airtime does.

Airtime will recode based on their scripts,so if you upload the media to airtime media library expect it to be recoded

Now I think there is a confusion about the stream rates.

You set the stream rates based on a number of factors and standards , and so you might want to read this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate

But basically for example
    You could have a high quality bit rate audio 320kbps but stream it at 192kbps (an high quality cd type audio).

you have to decide on  the type of output you want to your listener f.e. mp3
     you have
    • talk type stream qualities 8-64kbps ,
    • a mid quality 96kbps,or
    •  a high quality >128kbps.

regardless on what your audio file inputs rate are.,you decide the outputs

Tips Audio files are not just dependent on bit rates but

• codecs [mp3,wav,AAC,ogg etc]
    • Sample rates [22100,44100,48100,etc]
    • type [Mono or Stereo]
    • bit rates [48,64,96,128 etc]

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2014-02-17 11:43:08
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Well, thanks for all the response but I think the original question was totally misinterpreted. I'll explain again:

-if I had all my audio files at 64k mp3 and my output to icecast was 64k mp3, would there be any modification to the airtime stream via Liquidsoap such as recoding?  Lets ignore the bitrate and quality for a moment as it dose not relate to the question.
    -is there a way to prevent this recoding within either airtime or Liquidsoap, I don't think Airtime does this, if the source file and the target rate is the same?
    -if the above is not possible can Airtime utilize the SHINE encode option that is available in Liquidsoap?

The idea is to get the load average down on the Raspberry Pi.  So far I have no issues playing on the Pi.  Only issue occurs when I access the Web GUI and add assets to the Airtime system.  When the load average is above 5 the output stutters.  At around 2 the output is fine.
  • I think this is more an experiment than a practical concept. (which I think of the Pi).
    I also think you could have posted this under the Rasberry Pi thread.
    Here is why I said that.

You have to read about the liquidsoap dependencies to be serious about this project

Here is a reference of some of the dependencies http://savonet.sourceforge.net/doc-0.9.2/build.html .
    and try read this http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.liquidsoap.user/4467

As I said this is not a liquidsoap issue as it relates to Airtime based on  any of the current installation recommendation but for experiment it might.

As I said I use 4 pi's but IMHO I would not recommend using any type of these for production environment,
    There are many more robust board .

I will await your experiment.

If anyone wants a transmitter ===>receiver,then search for  openOB.

I am sad when post like this are "googly"
    :-(( :((
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • I think you could probably modify the airtime version of liquidsoap to use shine. My understanding is that LS does its manipulations on uncompressed audio. Therefore your advantage may not be as much as as you think.
  • @Voisses, you are correct that this is an experiment. Everything starts as an experiment then transitions to reality.
    Thanks for the links I do intend to go through them as my Liquid Soap knowledge is very limited.
    @John, if LiquidSoap manipulates just RAW audio then what is making the mp3 into raw audio. I really would like to try SHINE to see if the would help.
    Maybe all of this is a waste of time as it may not save me any processing cycles but it's worth a try, I think.
  • Well, I think to messed up my system. Liquidsoap will not start.  I added the shine plugin for liquidsoap and after airtime-liquidsoap restart I get the following:

sudo invoke-rc.d airtime-liquidsoap restart
    Restarting Liquidsoap Playout Engine: ('Error loading config file: %s', error(111, 'Connection refused'))
    /etc/init.d/airtime-liquidsoap: line 20: 14484 Illegal instruction     start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --chuid $USERID:$GROUPID --nicelevel -15 --startas $DAEMON --exec $EXEC
    Done.

How do I fix this?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    do a symbolic link from liquisoap to airtime liquisoap