Airtime problem with live broadcast
  • Hello, I have a problem, when my dj's do live shows. Example:
    music.....dj talks on top and after music end.... dj releases mic button on sam broadcast or radioboss with out music playing for a few seconds and here the airtime disconnects the source from icecast saying radio offline, if he plays music before releasing the mic button it wont disconnect. This is to bad! I get a few times a day  everybody kicked out of the server because dj was to lame doing transitions. This is a major bug, for live shows!
    Post edited by Daniel James at 2013-12-30 06:15:14
  • 14 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up1Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi César, the workaround is to schedule some filler material, such as a jingle, for the transition between two remote live shows. A proper fix is described in http://dev.sourcefabric.org/browse/CC-5488

Cheers!

Daniel
  • Depending on who set up the vps on the hosting, and how that was done, it is possible that some other user in the the VPS server/cluster platform is crashing your server. This cannot happen on a dedicated server.
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • Daniel thanks for the short response, but this is worst, is inside a show and not in transitions of shows.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    if your DJ use the show source (that's seems to be the case), you have two choices :

- your DJ stay connected during all the show and send sound
    - you filling the show with musics and your DJ use the show source for speaking only
  • Woow that is a major step back! If a dj is connected even when no sound is sent it should  not disconnect everybody from server neither put the radio offline.

thks in advance
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    I think not

silence is not sound, it's a secure option.
    blank on a radio/webradio is not a good thing ;-)
  • You are right albert,  blank is not a good solution for radio. But now my radio has more blank times compared with the previous solution, sc_Trans as source and autodj and icecast as server.
    I can name several cases like a dj doing a live show loses internet, then my radio stops with blank sound! Is this good? NO. If the dj has not scheduled any sound in the show, and im imagining me with a 2 hour live show, im not going to insert 2 hours of music, neither  all the djs will cause its is booring, and if you do it one a week its ok but doing it 2 hours everyday? No hell no. This is a great software but it is missing a basic feature like autodj that works besides me coding the liquidsoap script everty time there is an update.

Hope you understand my english and my point of view. Im willing to help airtime.

Thanks in advance.
  • Happy New Year Everyone;

"This is a great software but it is missing a basic feature like autodj that works besides me coding the liquidsoap script everty time there is an update."

I used to Used Niro Slider Free with all the features. This holiday as I was about to used it to update a website ,I found out you have pay,others like Jwplayer etc has follow suite AND NOW YOU pay for the best feature.

I was surprise when a station asked me to use there centova panel  to run their station as they had no electricity because of the bad  weather and found it had no autodj on the free version. or anywhere to implement this.
    Airtime will be replacing this panel soon

In This post  http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/16192/trying-to-go-for-an-039autodj039-ls_script-liq-but-having-trouble I outline how to prevent or mitigate when you do an update to maintain your scripts. 

If You search the forum I also outline how to hold your Airtime from updates and upgrade whilst still getting all  your security updates.

Now Here is the Biggest problem with people who use linux.

You should not update  or upgrade unless that update and upgrade is applicable to you 

No Applicance which is working needs upgrade or update. If its not broken do not fix it

I used Long-Term-Supports because I want stability and People should be willing to use Alternatives until there are Major upgrade.

Please note you can set monthly cron jobs that when you upgrade it does the Ls Modification without your intervention.

I am not defending Airtime but I have never used any open source software That I did not have to customized the way I Want it. Not one single One. I LOOOOOVE Airtime Gone to bed

This is why after 10 years as a System Admin and Manger, I hated the other OS. because they dictate what I can do.

So Lets Role up our Sleeves this Year and make it work.

In The Meantime Let Me sit with you so that even if I do not Understand you clearly,we can work to make things work for you.

My Questions below.

VOISSES.

Ps. I sound tough for 2014.
    I think I will change that My 2014 resolution
    With Love
    @};-  :x
    Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2014-01-03 12:55:18
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Please answer these question so that we can come to some resolution of  the problem you are having

"Hello, I have a problem, when my dj's do live shows. Example:
    music.....dj talks on top and after music end.... dj releases mic button on sam broadcast or radioboss with out music playing for a few seconds "

How Are your Are your Dj's Connected? through a Show source or through Master or Handover via Icecast

"and here the airtime disconnects the source from icecast saying radio offline,"

You can change the way this meta data information here is displayed by going to  stream ===> settings ===> offair metadata

or there are other alternatives, search the forum ,I outline how to have the offline meta data show ,showname,title or artist.

" if he plays music before releasing the mic button it wont disconnect. This is to bad!"

Do not understand this and can only know why this happen if you state how your djs are connected.Need further explanation

"I get a few times a day  everybody kicked out of the server because dj was to lame doing transitions. This is a major bug, for live shows!"

This is Weird,but another case of not understand and will have to hear how your Djs are connected Need further explanation?

Your problem seems to be in one or more of these categories

1.Silence detection
    2.switch,transistion
    2.Stream Handover (Icecast)
    3.Configuration and/choice of Source Streams

State more details about your equipment setup,configuration and even an example of the occurence or senario. like at 2am djx is schedule,at 3am djy is schedule.

I have seen most stations will put a jingle,station Id,etc or some space placement to do this switch and so would be interested in How you do it or what you want to achieve.

Please note I state 2hr show as an example, @John Chewter suggest 7hrs, these are just examples,When I first start using  Airtime My time was divide in 2 day and night of 12 hours,you can make it any way you want

Voisses
    Happy New Year Everyone

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2014-01-03 12:50:16
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
  • Please answer these question so that we can come to some resolution of  the problem you are having

"Hello, I have a problem, when my dj's do live shows. Example:
    music.....dj talks on top and after music end.... dj releases mic button on sam broadcast or radioboss with out music playing for a few seconds "

How Are your Are your Dj's Connected? through a Show source or through Master or Handover via Icecast
    My djs are using the show sorce, not using the airtime authentication since not all software have the ability to insert an username, only a password.

"and here the airtime disconnects the source from icecast saying radio offline,"

You can change the way this meta data information here is displayed by going to  stream ===> settings ===> offair metadata

or there are other alternatives, search the forum ,I outline how to have the offline meta data show ,showname,title or artist.

I know that i can change this but this is not the problem, the problem is icecast disconnecting listeners when radio says offline.
    " if he plays music before releasing the mic button it wont disconnect. This is to bad!"

Do not understand this and can only know why this happen if you state how your djs are connected.Need further explanation

Djs are connected via source of show, port 8085 and mountpoint /dj, i have the master mountpoint but never used it. When i connect to server i talk and stream music, if no music is playing and im only talking i release the mic button and then i wait 2 seconds before i press play in music. At this point everybody will disconnect from serve, icecas shows radio offline and even when audio returns all my listeners will have to press play in the client to ear again my stream.

"I get a few times a day  everybody kicked out of the server because dj was to lame doing transitions. This is a major bug, for live shows!"

This is Weird,but another case of not understand and will have to hear how your Djs are connected Need further explanation?

Your problem seems to be in one or more of these categories

1.Silence detection
    2.switch,transistion
    2.Stream Handover (Icecast)
    3.Configuration and/choice of Source Streams

State more details about your equipment setup,configuration and even an example of the occurence or senario. like at 2am djx is schedule,at 3am djy is schedule.

I have seen most stations will put a jingle,station Id,etc or some space placement to do this switch and so would be interested in How you do it or what you want to achieve.

Please note I state 2hr show as an example, @John Chewter suggest 7hrs, these are just examples,When I first start using  Airtime My time was divide in 2 day and night of 12 hours,you can make it any way you want

Voisses
    Happy New Year Everyone

Thanks for your comment. My radio as 12 djs, they do shows all day 24/7 from home. I have a vps hosting the airtime. Its a default install no tweaks at all and totally up to date. At 7 Am comes a dj that does 5 hours of show, music and voice. Then the next dj comes in. Here i have solved this handover problem with a jingle, it would be nice to have a second inputharbor (i think it is said this way) in liquidsoap so the dj connects a few minutes before to make the handover nicely. And this goes all day till 12pm where i use airtime as a playlist player, this is very cool here. The problems i have during the day is some silences and people being disconnected from the server. I could reproduce this easy as during a show in sam broadcast or radioboss making this stop music and dont press microphone, every body will be disconnected from server, this can be achieved very easy during day accidentally, example when a dj releases mic buton before press play.

The disconnect problem and the lack of an autodj is the only think making me go crazy, otherwise i love it. there a couple tweaks that i would sugest but, problems first features later.

Thanks in advance.

• Any one? I could schedule a demo/screencast or something else to show the problem. I wold love to help in the solve of this and other problems.
  • Any one? I could schedule a demo/screencast or something else to show the problem. I wold love to help in the solve of this and other problems.

Thanks in advance.
  • So here is where  i c u you are.
    You are requiring an advance queue.
    Whilst I am not certain of a way via Airtime there are standard workable solutions like this.

1.For this you have understand how most software like Zaro,RadioBoss,Sams etc does it.The use silence detection.So for each Dj you could place pira on each machine so when they go silence then they are disconnect. (the disadvantage its only a Windows Os solution)

2. If you are willing to use a modified version of your ls_script then the sky is the limit.all you have to do is have your djs  listed like this dj1,dj2,dj3,....dj12, now you can fallback  or switch each based on silence detection.

3.This is the way if you have a station which have a schedule.All you have to do is set a customdj user,pass and port
    in two or so lines you could push an input harbour with this ,schedule the various shows  and have a fallback that if no one is connected you fall back.

If you Pm me a link to  your show,I will listen for a day and recommend a better solution.

Voisses
    can you hear me

• I think this is more something for the folks at Spacial Audio with how SAM Broadcaster handles its mic settings. Have you tried configuring the mic to bypass the Mixer and go straight to the encoders? I've found that this helps in that respect.