Airtime 2.4 to 2.5 Upgrade not working/apt-get says it is up to date
  • I did the automated install on the remote server, and I wanted to know what's going wrong. This is still a test server, but I'm still going to back up everything if I have to do it manually. I upgraded the server normally, ie. 'sudo apt-get upgrade', and then rebooted the server. the only errors I encountered were about the registration keys for extra repositories that I hadn't bothered with. Apt-get sees it as up to date, but the webUI shows no change. Should I proceed with following the manual update instructions in the Airtime manual, or is there some sort of bug to contend with beforehand?
  • 7 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    did you do before an

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade ?
  • I didn't do that command, just apt-get update. I did it now but it didn't work, gave me an error this time round though, i'm posting a log on pastebin to take a look at:

please take a look and let me know what you think. i'm sorry for the late reply.
  • here seems to be the problem

Unfortunately your postgresql database has not been created using a UTF-8 encoding.
     * As of Airtime 2.1, installs will fail unless the encoding has been set to UTF-8. Please verify this is the case
     * and try the install again
    There was an error during install. Exit code 1

Have a look at this posting

Voisses
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Take a look at line 138:

1. * Making sure /etc/default/locale is set properly
    2. LANG=en_GB.UTF8
    3. * Checking for existing Airtime installation...
    4.  * None found.
    5. * Temporarily stopping any previous running services

I set this manually during the install, is the only solution to delete the database and start over? 
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    yep
  • Yes and no. The airtime installer doesn't use that if you are doing it remotely.
    Destroy the database.
    Ensure the putty/whatever client you are using is set to utf8. It takes its setting from the client you are using to run the install script.

Post edited by John Chewter at 2014-09-17 20:27:59
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • OK, I think this finally nails it and explains it.

Background:
    Postgresql is perfectly capable of using per database encoding if the database is created properly, using the encoding option. EG UTF8.
    The installer tests the collation of the actual pre-existing postgres database - which doesnt really matter, it seems.
    Changing the locale and reinstalling postgresql doesn't fix it either, because that does NOT remove where the default collation of postgres is - in the /etc files!. When you purge & reinstall postgresql those settings are not purged and when you reinstall - its back!

The Fix:

Rebuild postgresql from the begining properly with the correct local encoding.

Firstly ensure the putty/whatever client you are using is set to utf8. It takes
    its setting from the client you are using to run the install script. That's in the postgres docs.

su root

Reconfigure your local settings :

dpkg-reconfigure locale

Choose your locale (like for instance for french in Switzerland : fr_CH.UTF8)

Uninstall and clean properly postgresql :

apt-get --purge remove postgresql\*
    rm -r /etc/postgresql/
    rm -r /etc/postgresql-common/
    rm -r /var/lib/postgresql/
    userdel -r postgres
    groupdel postgres

Re-install postgresql :

aptitude install postgresql-9.1 postgresql-contrib-9.1 postgresql-doc-9.1

Now any new database will be automatically be created with correct encoding, LC_TYPE (character classification), and LC_COLLATE (string sort order).
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2014-09-17 21:52:31
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.