[RESOLVED] Hardware Audio Output
  • Hi,
    Previously I used Airtime in Debian with Gnome desktop environnement installed, and the Hardware Audio Output > Pulseaudio works fine.
    Now I'm testing Debian or Ubuntu Server but without desktop environnement and the only thing it works is ALSA output. The problem is the sound cut-off sometimes. So I'm trying to use Pulseaudio but it seems it needs Gnome.
    I did :
    sudo apt-get install alsa-utils pulseaudiolinux-sound-base
    pulseaudio -D
    sudo usermod -aG pulse,pulse-access <username>
    The alsamixer is set to 100%.

Anyone have a solution?
    Thanks

Post edited by Quentin Divay at 2013-12-17 10:09:09
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • There is always a challenge using sound in linux.

The one thing I found out is that ALSA has mature to a stage that its work most of the time.

The disadvantage is that its diffucult to use both ALSA and pulse at the same-time.
    As which have can grab the soundcard first will do(they both compete for the soundcard).

Most Ubuntu desktop environment and application  uses pulse.

But for me the only thing that works is to put "autospan" to be no (false) in the pulse conf.

Based on my experience with soundcards,I think its a task.and my thoughts is that the solution lies in having the core engine be able to select the card

I chose to use my Airtime as a server,therefore I do not use it to do any desktop task(browse the web etc).
    Use a workstation/playout for that.This should be the consideration for all installation 
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    pulseaudio is not recommended. try alsa.
    when preparing a server for Airtime-Installation, it's recommended to remove pulseaudio.
    see here http://sourcefabric.booktype.pro/airtime-24-for-broadcasters/preparing-the-server/
    cheers
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • http://sourcefabric.booktype.pro/airtime-24-for-broadcasters/preparing-the-server/

Cause problem in raring for other desktop items for me

You can only prevent it from autospawn

If you purge pulse audio,you have to reinstall and configure 

Voisses
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Thank you for the answers.
    I've done some tests, Pulseaudio works good, but only with a desktop environnement (just tested with Gnome). I've seen the page "preparing the server", but why pulseaudio is not recommended?

With ALSA the sound is clipping sometimes.
    I'll try to do some tweaks tomorrow.
  • So, I don't know what i've changed, but the sound is now clear with ALSA... Maybe it was the fault of my sound card or my SPDIF converter!

Thanks all for your help.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    thanks to mark this thread as [RESOLVED]/[SOLVED]