[RESOLVED FOR NOW] Airtime Playout Stopped- Why?
  • I finally got my stream back by restarting the playout engine (sudo airtime-playout restart) but I need to know why it stopped in the first place. I had a stream going for about 4 hours and after that double files started playing and then it quit altogether.

I had scheduled a weeks worth of linked shows filled with dynamic smart blocks. There was a specified end date and each day had 24 hours worth of content.

Although it is fixed I need to know why it stopped in the first place. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Post edited by Lisa Forbes at 2013-12-07 10:47:08
  • 16 Comments sorted by
  • This is indeed a good question.
    I have seen this and something similar is already in the Bug List.
    One other thing to check, while you are setting up, is do you use fallback files by modifying the Liquidsoap script? If so, make sure they all match exactly the same sample rate of your station icecast output. If it does not then odd things happen - like Liquidsoap giving you 5 seconds of extra, blissful, but unexpected, silence while Liquidsoap restarts.. So sayeth me and Savonnet.
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2013-12-01 19:35:20
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • At one point, I had three streams playing - and not intentionaly. Not sure how that is even possible. (No PID locking?)

Post edited by John Chewter at 2013-12-01 19:56:04
  • Hi John,

Thanks for responding. I am running Airtime just as it comes straight out of the box, no modifications. In 2.5 I haven't had the pause issue but I certainly did in the previous version.

What's really crazy was at one point some of the files that were playing simultaneously weren't even in the schedule!

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

• I have seen this, I think.There is another issue that sometimes shows up in the forums where a repeating show plays the content of one day earlier. Maybe this is related. I hear the calendar is is being given a shake-up by the devs for the forthcoming 2.51.
    Maybe you would like to look here at the bugs being worked on for 2.51? See the list on the left of that page. You can also add new bug reports in there.
    http://dev.sourcefabric.org/browse/CC-5405?jql=project = CC AND resolution = Unresolved AND fixVersion = "2.5.1" ORDER BY priority DESC

Post edited by John Chewter at 2013-12-02 05:23:38
  • Hi John,

Thanks but I can't wait until 2.51 unless it's coming out in the next couple of minutes. Same thing happened again already this morning and I ended up just cancelling my schedule. Because of these bugs I have lost my ITunes listing because I am not streaming 24/7.

The worse part is this seems to have been an issue for quite a while even in previous versions that is just being addressed in the next version?

I have been through 2 versions of Airtime and have yet to be able to keep a 24 hour stream going. It is just very frustrating now at this point. Sorry for the rant : (

I understand this is open source but geesh it would be nice if just the basic play out and scheduling worked.

• Vote Up0Vote Down Albert SantoniAlbert Santoni
    Hey Lisa,

We are literally working on the double playout bug right now as our highest priority and I apologize for the frustrating experience you're having with Airtime.

We think we've managed to isolate and solve one of the causes of the bug, but there's another cause that we're also working on. If you're prepared to install Airtime from git, try checking out the 2.5.x branch and installing that: https://github.com/sourcefabric/Airtime/tree/2.5.x

In the meantime, if you check the "Now Playing" page, you should be able to spot times when there are two tracks scheduled to be played out at the same time. The underlying problem is a scheduler bug, so we're working on fixing that and getting 2.5.1 out ASAP.

Thanks for your patience and if you need any help installing the latest version from our 2.5.x or with anything else, please let us know.

Albert
    Airtime Developer @ Sourcefabric
  • Could this problem be somehow associated to a particular file? It seems that when the problem starts there is a common file that has been involved, however, the file has been previously played in the rotation with no problem. Just a long shot but it is one common factor I have noticed.
  • I have said the same things Lisa. Alas.
    In the meantime, this stopped a lot of calander 'funnies' for me: Setting the server hardware clock & timezone, the airtime time zone and the backend user's timezones all to the same time zone.
    I had my financial backer walk out on me over this - Oh well, all the more for me if I can get this all working.
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2013-12-02 10:51:49
  • Hmm.... this bugfix from Denise explains why my 'set them all to same timezone' worked. I was using UTC.

CC-5571: Overlapping show check in wrong sometimes

The incorrect number of days we're getting added to create repeat instances
    because we were checking the start week day in UTC instead of local time

Post edited by John Chewter at 2013-12-02 11:50:32
  • "I had my financial backer walk out on me over this - Oh well, all the more for me if I can get this all working. "

Well that is an optimistic view. At this point financial backing or even listener backing is not going to happen for me while in this current state.

I inboxed you BTW.

Thanks,

• "I had my financial backer walk out on me over this - Oh well, all the more for me if I can get this all working. "

Well that is an optimistic view. At this point financial backing or even listener backing is not going to happen for me while in this current state.

I inboxed you BTW.

Thanks,

• if you have a synopsis of the log you could tell

look at

pico /var/log/airtime/pypo-liquidsoap/ls_script.log at the exact time it happen

One of thing I am certain if you do not know what is happening then all you are doing is speculating.
    like chasing your tail,my cat does that a lot =))

I did a tutorial here http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/15654

Remember problems can look similar but some time they are specific to the individual so lets get back to basic.

Get the logs

Please note I used Ls.modification extensively,without any problem.

and ls modification is basically using liquidsoap to take over.

If you have problem then it means possible that there is a systematic problem(the whole liquidsoap application) which is not the case most time.

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2013-12-02 12:18:01
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.

I inboxed you BTW.

Thanks,

dump the logs  as describe here http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/15654 and Pm. me I will have a look at it.

I do not know if @Daniel James also could chip in as I am pressed for time most time.

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2013-12-02 12:18:21
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
  • This is indeed a good question.
    I have seen this and something similar is already in the Bug List.
    One other thing to check, while you are setting up, is do you use fallback files by modifying the Liquidsoap script? If so, make sure they all match exactly the same sample rate of your station icecast output. If it does not then odd things happen - like Liquidsoap giving you 5 seconds of extra, blissful, but unexpected, silence while Liquidsoap restarts.. So sayeth me and Savonnet.

You can implement a backupfile and introfile in Icecast that will keep listener tune to your station while you restart your airtime.

put a station ID or others

• I changed by servers UTC time to Los Angeles whereas before I think it had been like Pacific time and so far no more issues in 48 hours of streaming.
  • Yep :)