station goes off air after physically connecting line-in
  • Hi,

I have a fresh install of Airtime 2.5 running on Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS, on an ESXi server with a Logitech USB 'soundcard' (small device with line-out and line-in) connected to it. Sound outputs via ALSA to a seperate transmitter, and streams to both the internal and an external icecast server work fine.

aplay -l lists:
    card 0: Headset [Logitech USB Headset], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

If I plug an audio jack into the line-in port the station immediately goes off-air. Scheduled content still plays, but the streams are no-longer mounted and there is no audio output.

aplay -l lists:
    card 1: Headset [Logitech USB Headset], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

Stopping the airtime-liquidsoap service gives this error message:
    Liquidsoap Playout Engine: ('Error loading config file: %s', error(111, 'Connection refused')

Alsamixer also stops working, with a file not found error.

Unplugging the line-in cable, purging alsa-base and reinstalling it gets the card listed as card 0 again, and everything gets back to working.

I'd like to record shows coming in on line-in. Do I need to connect the cable before installing Airtime, or is there somewhere in the config files where I can change what audio device is being used, or is there something I need to do with alsa to get this to work?
  • 10 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    this sounds weird.
    like Logitech soundcard pulls audio immediatly when connecting?
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • Unplugging the line-in cable, purging alsa-base and reinstalling it gets the card listed as card 0 again, and everything gets back to working.

I found also that if you remove pulseaudio from > ubuntu 1204,You will get this effect.

It maybe best to edit the pulseaudio config and chose to make autospawn no.it remedy this problem.

No you do not need to plug in the cable first and I think fixing pulse audio will solve your issue

VOISSES
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Bob, you should not need to purge or reinstall alsa-base. What seems to be happening is that when you connect an audio cable, the device reconfigures itself, and so it appears as a different device, number 1. (I have not personally experienced that problem yet with the USB devices I use). Using alsamixer -c 1 should get your mixer back. However Airtime currently only plays to and records from device 0, zero.

To fix this problem, I would first suggest you remove pulseaudio as above, then see the tips under 'USB audio device index' here: http://sourcefabric.booktype.pro/airtime-25-for-broadcasters/preparing-the-server/

Let us know how you get on!

Daniel
  • Hi Daniel,

Thanks! I had read that page several times before, and checked the alsa-base.conf file each time to make sure that those lines were uncommented, and sure enough they where. Today, while re-reading the instructions I discovered they had to be commented and not uncommented. It took a weekend off to figure out how to read again :)

Plugging and unplugging cables seems to have no effect on airtime playback anymore.
  • Not sure if this should go in a new thread?

I currently have Airtime configured with ALSA output going to a hardware encoder that outputs over an ISDN line. I also have two streams configured, one is the default stream for listeners on the local network, the other is going to an Icecast server via a dedicated ADSL line.

As mentioned in this thread, when the sound card gets reconfigured, the streams would drop as well. Now I've just picked up that when the ADSL line drops (for the second stream), there are gaps in playback on both the first stream as well as in the ALSA output, every 5 seconds or so. I assume Airtime is attempting to reconnect the second stream, but why is it affecting the other outputs? That ADSL line currently drops several times a day, and is unlikely to get properly repaired soon (Africa), so the only option is to offload that stream to something else to do the encoding.
  • Sounds peculiar

But a good way to do this is

set a mount with intro and backupfile on the local  see my tips tutorial

and set a master slave relay if possible with the external

VOISSES

Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Installed Airtime 2.5 on Ubuntu 64bit 12.0.latest in Virtualbox on a seperate system, with ALSA output and queued up some music. Works fine. Configured a stream to an external Icecast server. Both work fine. Disconnect the network cable in the VM settings, and the icecast stream obviously drops, but the ALSA output also starts stuttering quite badly with 5 seconds gaps happening every 5 seconds or so.

Is there somewhere I can file a bug report?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich

Bob Smith said:

Installed Airtime 2.5 on Ubuntu 64bit 12.0.latest in Virtualbox on a seperate system, with ALSA output and queued up some music. Works fine. Configured a stream to an external Icecast server. Both work fine. Disconnect the network cable in the VM settings, and the icecast stream obviously drops, but the ALSA output also starts stuttering quite badly with 5 seconds gaps happening every 5 seconds or so.

Is there somewhere I can file a bug report?

report at bug-tracker - http://dev.sourcefabric.org
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    It sounds like what is happening is that the whole Liquidsoap script is restarting in an attempt to recover the lost connection. I have confirmed the bug on my own server and filed it as:

http://dev.sourcefabric.org/browse/CC-5554

Thanks for the bug report, this is very valuable.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • Thanks Daniel, haven't had time since.