Airtime built in player problems in Firefox with mp3.
  • We just upgraded to 2.5, everything working great... Thanks to core devs for such a great product!

Question. Noticed in 2.4, 2.4.1, and now 2.5 the built in player has issues playing mp3 stream on some browsers (specifically firefox on windows, mac) not sure about all of them

If you try and listen to a mp3 mount (I have tried 32k, 64k) with LISTEN button,  the stream plays for a while, then stops with 20-30 seconds if silence before starting up again?

I know the stream is good, because other clients can listen just fine.  so sounds like some javascript issue with buffering or something.

So question, can others reproduce this..    listen to a mp3 stream with built in player for more than a few minutes without cutouts.

OGG and ACC seem to play just fine.

thanks

Stephen

• 6 Comments sorted by
  • I've had same issues since 2.4.1 I think. VLC connects to the stream fine, but Firefox stopped working after 30 seconds.
    Post edited by Bob Smith at 2013-10-26 05:33:25
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Stephen, hi Bob, I think the issue is that recent Firefox dropped built-in support for MP3. Please try in Chrome to confirm that the feature works in your Airtime instance.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • Can confirm it's working fine with Firefox 24 using fresh install of Airtime 2.5.0
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Bob, which platform is that Firefox on, though? The issue I experienced with MP3 streams and jPlayer was when using Firefox 24.0 on Debian GNU/Linux. According to https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/HTML/Supported_media_formats it should work on Firefox for Windows if that copy of Windows has support for MP3.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • I have an odd problem too playing files.
    Maybe you could do a test? Try re-encoding the mp3 in Audiacity (free) this will encode it using LAME.
    LAME MP3's always work on mine - but some other flavours of MP3 do not on my set up - wierd things happen like yours..
    I would be very grateful for any feedback on that.
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2013-10-28 10:51:22
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • Hi Bob, which platform is that Firefox on, though? The issue I experienced with MP3 streams and jPlayer was when using Firefox 24.0 on Debian GNU/Linux. According to https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/HTML/Supported_media_formats it should work on Firefox for Windows if that copy of Windows has support for MP3.

Cheers!

Daniel

Hi Daniel, you're right, was testing it on Windows 7.