Scheduling Feedback Wanted
  • Vote Up0Vote Down NaomiNaomi
    Hello guys, I'm in the process of refactoring media items (files, playlists, webstreams etc) within Airtime and I'm just wondering your thoughts on certain things.

1) Do you mainly schedule audio files, playlists, or smart blocks?

2) would a last played count be useful to you? on which media items?

3) would a play count be useful to you? which type of media items?

4) if you schedule a playlist do you generally reorder any of the contents? Or preserve the order that is designed in the playlist?

(this is a question regarding enabling per track overlap, in the fades waveform preview you can set a custom track overlap time between any item by dragging a track underneath the other which you can then preview. This feature would also most likely disable being able to reorder scheduled playlist items)
  • 16 Comments sorted by
  • Copying a program with it's content (or not) would have been useful to me - as would to be able to repeat shows on the same day. I will not need it, but I still think these are useful for others with talk radio stations who are staying with Airtime.
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2013-11-09 19:03:01
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • "repeat shows on the same day" would be perfect for me since I do a talk show and after the show I would like to rebroadcast it immediately following the live broadcast.

I mostly use files and smart blocks. I often reorder the smart blocks because since we don't have the ability to schedule precisely up to the second, if I put in extra content I have to make sure the last item played is music and not a talk show so that it won't get cut off.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich

Naomi said:

1) Do you mainly schedule audio files, playlists, or smart blocks?

2) would a last played count be useful to you? on which media items?
    1) Files, Playlists, Smart-Blocks, in this order
    2) imho most important would be for files
    Naomi said:

3) would a play count be useful to you? which type of media items?

3) same as for Last Played.
    Naomi said:

4) if you schedule a playlist do you generally reorder any of the contents? Or preserve the order that is designed in the playlist?

(this is a question regarding enabling per track overlap, in the fades waveform preview you can set a custom track overlap time between any item by dragging a track underneath the other which you can then preview. This feature would also most likely disable being able to reorder scheduled playlist items)
    4) rarely reordering

generally this would be very useful for our station, good idea!

What would be very useful too, would be to expand the dynamic of smart blocks in linked shows.

It would be cool if the considered content is scanned again f.e. 1 hour before the next linked show, to realize a real dynamic smart block and not just a repeated smart block.

cheers
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down NaomiNaomi
    Cool, thanks @hoerich, we were just discussing this dynamic block idea and think it's really good. I'm hoping to give each media type more of its own personality within Airtime for either precision (Playlists), quick (Audio File), and then blocks will be used to easily generate content without too much work by the user, but improve the capabilities they have when generating content. This would be great to generate 1 hour before a show especially if relative comparisons on fields such as a play count, last played, and uploaded by are enabled within a block.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    sounds good, thx
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • When editing a Show Title:
    Dont change the Style colors PLEASE. We have to change them back to match each time :)
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2013-12-04 19:19:19
  • Hey @John, yeah I didn't know this colour thing had happened like that until recently.. I also thought it was a bug. I could add this in to the next release since I don't think an edit should change the colour unless a user has actually specified that they would like the colour to be changed...
  • Hey @Lisa, How do you currently air your talk show? I'm assuming you're not using the record/rebroadcast feature in Airtime. Is your talk show done through scheduling a file? Or connecting via master/show source?
    Post edited by Naomi at 2013-12-04 22:55:30
  • Hi Naomi,

I connect via master source using BUTT. I also use BUTT to record then I upload the file to Airtime for rebroadcast.
  • 1) Playlists

2) Yes. But I doubt the reason of the question is probably not about what I would prefer it would be useful for. If the audio files in a playlist could be played in random order -lets say a directory of audio files treated as a playlist- which plays in between the given hours, the count engine would be useful to prevent exaggerated repeats of a same file.

3) In any case, yes. All media items.

4) I only use the shuffle order since I use only the current watch folder way to prepare the playlists. Which is a pain on the cheeks.

eastanbul.com
  • @Naomi - Bug Report CC-5602 Raised for this

>>"I could add this in to the next release since I don't think an edit should change the colour unless a user has actually specified that they would like the colour to be changed"
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2013-12-05 06:50:52
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi John, CC-5602 is the intended behaviour, the show colour is based on a hash of the current show name. This ensures that shows with the same names have matching colours. Is there a reason for wanting the colour to not match the show name when it changes?

Possibly we could set the colour automatically on show creation only.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • We basically schedule recorded talkshows and documentary content and so instead of:

The Dave Cash Country & Western Music Show. - which does not need to change. But we have a daily shows like this:

The David Frost Show - Bill Clinton
    The David Frost Show - David Cameron
    The David Frost Show - The Deli Lama

This would change with the guest name, which we do by editing the show instance. We could do it in the description but it totally loses the show impact in the listings. So we change the Title and instead of a nice color coded banded display - where we can instantly see if we have the show genres balanced and if we missed one - we would have an explosion in a paint factory, if we did not keep changing the style colours back.

• Also, I have modified the Show-Add/Edit to provide a consistant genre dropdown picker.
    Personally I would like a fixed pallette pegged to the Show Genre - which matches my colour coding on the listener's view. But this might not suit everybody. Or maybe it would?

If the style edit box was not in a seperate JSON form, I would have already done that.
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2013-12-05 08:37:25
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    The problem with a fixed palette is that you have to modify it each time you add a genre.

What I would suggest is that have your schedule widget ignore the show colour and style it only by genre colour, if that's what you want.

It seems to me that you might need a series name - e.g. The David Frost Show - in addition to the individual show title, season or episode number. Please open a ticket if you need additional metadata, and we can look at that once Naomi had completed her database refactoring work.

Cheers!

Daniel

• I do exactly that Daniel - That is why I have a dropdown for Genres so that I get consistant spelling. In the front end widget, I use that Genre to switch colours and a add a genre icon.
    http://www.deprogrammedradio.com/

Its that backend that gets covered in random colours and adds confusion.

Post edited by John Chewter at 2013-12-05 10:26:02