Memory Leak? > 1Go RAM used
  • Hi all,

We've been using much more intensively Airtime (self hosted 2.4.0 on ubuntu 12.04 i386) those last weeks, and we're facing something that may look like a memory leak, browser side. I'll try to describe if it may me of any help to you.
    First I can't guarantee it didn't happen before 2.4.0 - we started to rely heavily on linked shows since its release in 2.4.0 and it's only starting this summer we had much more time to spend on it.
    So the environment is a couple of Macbook Pro running 10.7 and 10.8, with 4 to 8 Go RAM, and Core2Duo and i5 CPU. Airtime it loaded on Chrome (currently v28). The instance of airtime is not hosted locally, it's completely remote.

Using the "Task Manager" from Chrome, one can track CPU, Network and Memory usage of a single tab.

When we start using airtime, there's a slight wait (2-3 seconds) during which browser' CPU is at 100%, waiting for the "Show Builder" to load, and and we're around 128Mo of RAM used at this time.
    Then we do our voodoo for 30mn to 1 hour, then the Airtime tab becomes completely unusable: it now uses more than a 1G RAM and uses 100% of one CPU: 

Usually, Chrome ends up proposing to kill the airtime tab because it has become unresponsive.

I thought it could be a problem specific of our airtime install, as it has been through many updates throughout the past months. So I reinstalled a fresh new instance of airtime on a huge new-and-shiny-super-boosted-server I received, restored the database, and tried the same steps: same problem.

Workaround: manage to save what you were doing, close the tab, reopen the tab, do something again. Or just close the airtime tab every 15mn so that memory usage stays under acceptable amounts.

I couldn't find something close and recent on the bugtracker nor on the forums, so I don't know if it's a known issue or if it's just us.

How could we help debug this? What information would you need to know more about this problem?

Thanks for your help!
    Post edited by Stephane Jourdan at 2013-08-19 11:05:38
  • 5 Comments sorted by
  • Hmmm I am going to check that out. Maybe this is related?. I am finding something strange that seems to be since the very latest flash update 11.8.8.0094. At the end of a SHOW - NOT A PLAYLIST - after the station has been sending out random track fillers and airtime is now playing the NEXT show....... the user browser stops and needs its froward arrow pressing. It did not do this until this week. There have not been any server updates at all. When I click play - off it goes again playing the current content.
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • Hi,

As we still have this problem on 2.4.1, I bump this thread.

I have more information after new and more precise observations today: there's no difference wether flash is installed or not (you get a locker icon instead of a play button, that's all). We invariably end up eating 1-1.5G of RAM for Airtime alone (tested on Firefox - with and without flash, and Chrome - with its bundled flash)

I carefully observed memory usage during a typical workflow. The goal is to edit a typical show, which is 13 hours long, and to populate it with a smart block containing 24 hours of sounds. Then we manually arrange, order or delete sounds inside it.

After today's observations, it's now very clear that the RAM usage increases by chunks of 4-5 Mo after every single action, and is not released after it. If I start editing my 13hrs-long show and my browser is using 500Mo of RAM, after the first move of a track I'll be using 504 Mo, then I'll delete a track and it's gonna be 508Mo, and then let's move up this other track and it's gonna be 513 Mo, and so on.

It's easy to imagine that there's approximately a 100 actions on a 13 hours playlist. Which would, again if my observations are correct, end up by using more or less 400-500 Mo of RAM per 13 hours show edited.

The thing is, our typical workflow is to build two or three of those playlists at once. That matches with the initial observation of a very unusual high memory usage on this particular airtime tab (1-1.5G of RAM)

I don't know what else to try ?

Thanks for your help or hints !

Cheers,
    Stef
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Cliff WangCliff Wang
    This kind of problem happens when keeping Now Playing page opened for a long time.

http://dev.sourcefabric.org/browse/CC-3735

Thanks, it's a known issue related to jquery, should be fixed in 3.0.
    Cloud Radio -> http://airtime.pro
  • Thanks Cliff for you quick answer! I'll keep an eye on the issue on Jira.
  • I have this issue too. I think I spotted the problem. Objects, vars & arrays being created and not destroyed when finished with, so the RAM is not always released and it grows and grows. Seen some others of these in AT so I hope that's it as it's easy to fix. When I used to code 3D engines and we rendered at 85+ FPS this was easy to spot - it crashed in a second or two - but at refresh like 0.1/sec and like 32 GB of ram it creeps up on you......
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2013-09-23 00:34:31
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.