The New Custodian sample publication
  • OK, so after much effort I've installed Newscoop, including the 'New Custodian' sample, and managed to display the front page. There are no pictures on it, but the layout is basically right. Unfortunately none of the internal links work, as they appear to access a folder ('tpl') which doesn't exist. Also, the previews don't work from the admin site, either.

Can anyone help me with this?
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • Check your /var/log/apache2/error.log file for errors perhaps

• I'm not sure where I would find this. My server is administered by our IT dept, and I only have access to my own area of it, where I have installed newscoop.
  • Do I need to chmod all the folders in the installation to 777?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Alan, you should not make all folders 777 as this means they would be world-writable, this is insecure.

You have a relative path issue with your subdirectory installation. The 'Home' link on the front page points to http://zappa.uwl.ac.uk/ but this URL does not serve Newscoop, it points to another site. Do you have access to the Apache configuration? If not, please ask your sysadmin for a copy of the virtual host configuration for the zappa subdomain.

Cheers!

Daniel
    Post edited by Daniel James at 2013-09-23 09:37:12
  • Thanks. I've been in touch with my IT dept., and they tell me that at the moment there is no virtual host on the server, but that they can create one for me. Is that the next step?

• I’ve gone back to the installation stage with Newscoop,
    partly because I see that 4.2 is better supported than

However, I’ve hit a snag. When specifying the database, it
    seems to recognise it (see newscoop1.jpg attached), but if I select ‘overwrite
    database’, which I think is what I want, I get the message that the connection
    has been interrupted during the operation (see newscoop2.jpg). If I ask it not
    to overwrite the database, it just comes back with the ‘duplicate database’
    message (newscoop1.jpg). I’ve tried this several times.

Can you suggest a solution?

938 x 552 - 49K
    575 x 319 - 18K
    Post edited by Alan Rolfe at 2013-10-10 08:26:56