Newscoop 4.2 installation on a shared host
  • Maybe I'm overlooking something, but I can't seem to find any documentation about installing Newscoop on a host?
    Could someone point me to the correct documentation? All I find is about installing it locally on my own computer.

Anyway, when unzipping the archive in my public_html on my host, I kinda expected to jump into an installation menu when loading the page. All I get however is:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or
    misconfiguration and was unable to complete
    your request.

Please contact the server administrator,
    webmaster@marxistcenter.com and inform them of the time the error occurred,
    and anything you might have done that may have
    caused the error.

More information about this error may be available
    in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found
    error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

• 9 Comments sorted by
  • I replaced the existing .htaccess with the one provided with the Newscoop zipfile. This however merely changed the last line:

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error
    error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
  • Ok, progress! After contact support of the hosting company, the 500 errors went away. Sadly, they were replaced with a new one:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ':' in /home1/emil/public_html/index.php on line 5

I was referred back to Newscoop, as this doesn't seem to be an issue with the host. What could be wrong?
  • I have the same issue when trying 4.1.2 :(
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov

Emil J said:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ':' in /home1/emil/public_html/index.php on line 5

newscoop requires php >=5.3.x
  • Thank you for your reply. According to the cpanel, PHP version 5.3.24 is installed.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
    create a file info.php with content:
    <?php phpinfo() ?>

and you will see
  • create a file info.php with content:
    <?php phpinfo() ?>

and you will see

5.2.17 >_>

Ok, back to the host it is, heh. Thanks!
  • Ok, after contact the host support, I added a line in the .htaccess file to enable php 5.3. At long last I can run the installer! Woot!

But of course I cheered too early: When entering my database info, the installer seems to remove the .htaccess file, which then causes the site to go back to php 5.2, which then makes the installer stop loading further... The next page just keeps spinning... (I doubt it ever finishes and if it does it will with an error obviously) :(
  • I'm having the same problem. The following server configuration:

# #
    root @ zeus [~] # php-v
    PHP 5.3.27 (cli) (built: Aug 26 2013 18:28:53)
    Copyright (c) 1997-2013 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2013 Zend Technologies
    with the ionCube PHP Loader v4.4.1, Copyright (c) 2002-2013, by ionCube Ltd., and
    with Zend Guard Loader v3.3, Copyright (c) 1998-2010, by Zend Technologies

What can be contecendo I can not install version 4.2 Newscoop?

The following website address: www.oicidade.com.br

Sincerely,
    Èric Seabra