Listener Stats enhancement
  • The listener Stars in Airtime does show some useful information from both Icecast and Shoutcast, but can this be enhanced a bit more to include IP address and duration per IP address. This would be more useful.
  • 12 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up1Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    sorry to say this, but I do not think this kind of options is a priority.
    I do not say either what is not necessary... later ...
    but for now, many features are still pending implementation.

- recording of all live streams
    - Background
    Playlist
    - Integration of automatic promotions/jingles in the flow
  • Wrong forum,These are highly covered in the relevant documentation for shoutcast and Icecast.
    eg here http://www.icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.3.1/icecast2_config_file.html

One of the main reason for knowing this is to kick clients and I hope you have no other reasons,but you should look at and familiarise your self with the various admin console /web interface of the relevant server. you can use time limits to do this now

Other ways are through geoIP locators.

Whatever your intentions are,I would hope you use the skills and knowledge to forge greater frontier to the world.I hate when people want computer knowledge for no good.

I never try to know who connect to my servers,I might curious as to where in the world (geolocations) you are but not those Information like IP etc.( please any fool out there stop wasting your time and make money doing good,not necessarily you the writer)

I apologise it I seem testy,but certain questions only raise my "stupid antenna".

Please contribute to make this software better,people around the world need it.
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • I think that is something that should include Airtime, and it isn't in the wrong forum. Maybe, Airtime should include some extensions in the interface, like the commercial software CentovaCast, that includes some statistics with graphs of locations and useragents of users. 

Airtime should be the best software, and maybe is a bit stupid to lack of some things because they "are in the docs of Icecast".

BTW, some people asked me for the possibility to see the countries of the listeners in Airtime, so the idea isn't so stupid.
  • I think that is something that should include Airtime, and it isn't in the wrong forum. Maybe, Airtime should include some extensions in the interface, like the commercial software CentovaCast, that includes some statistics with graphs of locations and useragents of users. 

Airtime should be the best software, and maybe is a bit stupid to lack of some things because they "are in the docs of Icecast".

BTW, some people asked me for the possibility to see the countries of the listeners in Airtime, so the idea isn't so stupid.

• The whole idea of having Airtime retrieve the stats, IP,
    location and duration is that every web broadcaster would like to know who is
    listening, for how long and from where. There is nothing wrong with getting
    this information. As Henry indicated this should be developed within Airtime.
    Having to run scripts against Icecast/Shoutcast just to get this may be fine
    for those who has the time but for me since Airtime already has an ability to
    retrieve listener count it should be easy, I think, to add this.

Post edited by Reaz Baksh at 2013-07-22 14:54:34
  • We're looking into options to enhance listener stats for Airtime - if you have any suggestions, please feel free to post them, they can really help us to improve the software for you. 
    Airtime Lead
    Head of Products at Sourcefabric
  • For starters:

-IP of listener
    -Duration (Date/time started and Date/time ended)
    -location (if possible Country, City, Town) with associated flag.

This should work for both Icecast and Shoutcast.

• I would leave this decision to the developers.  The integration of jingles is and would be a high priority.  It matters not which gets developed first but if the coding infrastructure is already there for the listener stats and thus would be easy to implement then  I would vote for it to be done.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    As I said "I do not say either what is not necessary"

that's only my opinion ;-)
    Post edited by Albert FR at 2013-07-23 02:54:01
  • EDIT from hoerich:
    Accidentaly overwrote this comment os Voisses Tech.
    I'm really sorry about that. Just tried to answer. Try to recover asap.
    Post edited by hoerich at 2013-07-23 14:17:40
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”

• EDIT from hoerich:
    Accidentaly overwrote this comment os Voisses Tech.
    I'm really sorry about that. Just tried to answer. Try to recover asap.

I will try rewrite out of memory what I was saying
  • I step away from this discussion earlier because,in the spirit of Airtime,I think the discussion is on "What I want " and not really focus on  "what can be done to enhance the full development of Airtime"

I find that presenters,hosts,advertisers etc.are more concern with the market they are in touch and the various countries that are being heard in.

Imagine  going to  any of the above and saying "IP blah blah ba is logon" and  contrast that with "we have listeners in countries like italy,spain etc.etc..." which is more relevant

If Airtime development focuses on the key areas such as Autodj,failover playlist,jingles,scheduling events,manual switch that are import to  most of DJ,Host,presenter,etc,then they will almost cover 80% of the markets.

Then it can focus on the other 20% which are most important to developers and computer enthusiast.

Now a days the relevance of what devices,what operating system,etc are negligible and more for development of Apps than Streaming

I use a back up paid Stream host and these Stats are almost negligible to me except Geolocation stats.
    My host provide apps for almost all devices,I do not need to know those devices ATM.

Some one quote information about a commericial version which advertise mainly as a Hosting solution.Well Let me introduce that person to Airtime Pro.I would not look that far

I am still resolve that these stats are provided by the relevant servers and should they be important at this time you can obtain them easily.

just install IPCOP or other relevant web-base fw open the fw as an additional tab save as general options in your webbrowser and each time you open the browser the stats will be available just like opening a tab to view(10minutes to install 2 minutes to configure)

Airtime should continue the "quasi" objective of linux to be install on any device anywhere anytime,so that people in developed,under-develop countries and anywhere in the world can communicate.

I would hate to see Airtime move in a bloated commercially focus software,which you can now google any free broadcast windows software and you are on the air in minutes.

A mouthful said
    I rest my case on this subject

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2013-07-24 03:09:33