Remote Talk Shows using Skype
  • I want to run an online radio station with the capacity to offer hosts
    having their talk shows in an specific day/time slot.
    My goal is that hosts can do their shows using Skype or a smartphone. I want this to be an automatic process.

How can I achieve this. I use Airtime Pro

Post edited by Blik Radio at 2013-06-29 22:46:46
  • 4 Comments sorted by
  • I hope I can put some clarity to a lot of people who ask about using Skype with Airtime.

IMHO

Airtime is like your backend server,the setup up of your studio will have to be done by you.

So the equipment setup,processing of phone calls,and scheduling of live guest  have to be done You or the engineer.

Quoting from Airtime website front-page " Airtime lets you take total control of your radio station via the web
    with intelligent archive management, powerful search, a simple
    scheduling calendar, smart playlists, live assist, stream rebroadcast
    and rock-solid automated playout. " ie. the radio station should already exists in some form or the other (internet or terrestrial)

and for Airtime Pro

http://www.sourcefabric.org/en/airtime/airtimepro/

"Airtime Pro's Record & Rebroadcast function enables automatic recording of your soundcard line input at a set time. In this mode, live shows in the studio are recorded and automatically stored in your archive. If you wish, you can upload these shows directly to Soundcloud. You can also integrate Airtime Pro with a full live playout tool like Mixxx for even more functionality. We plan more live features very soon!"

Not withstanding that the team of developers have done a phenomenon job in turning airtime development in almost a total radio automation for us and the manual is superb.read it.

Using Smartphone are covered in this blog

http://www.sourcefabric.org/en/community/blog/1337/Smartphone-journalism-with-Airtime.htm

and the how to is covered here in the manual
    http://sourcefabric.booktype.pro/airtime-23-for-broadcasters/smartphone-journalism/

If you want to use skype ,google hangout or face time  then I suggest you look at this Example of how to

Skype Will have to be on a one - one  basis (caller to radio station) or Many to one ( Host ot Radio station)
    Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2013-07-01 17:25:30
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • So to Add to the above,If you want a good suggestions you could read up on virtual cable for windows or other alternatives for MAC.

The best solution I have found for linux is idjc (internet dj console) which I used to use.

Then you can send the stream to Airtime through master or show.

This may be good for Caller to Radio Station but where there are multiple Guest to Radio station a more robust solution would be some form of conference calling
    Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2013-07-01 17:20:08
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
  • Google these words

How Receive Calls To Your Internet Radio Station Via Skype

and watch these videos

1. Good
    2. Well you watch this also
  • Hi,

We have ran a minimal set up call in show on basic.fm . We used nicecast on a mac to live stream it. The set up is described in their manual http://www.rogueamoeba.com/nicecast/download/NicecastManual.pdf . We used skype with a paid for number, we also internally routed audio from itunes for music between calls. We had 1 laptop, 1 usb mic, a headphone splitter and 2 sets of headphones. 

It worked well. Sadly nicecast is not open source. 

I would imagine if you wanted the same setup on a linux box you could route skype through Jack? 

D