Live Broadcasting = Choppy Playback
  • Hello,

I am running airtime on a VPS and did the basic install. Everything works great when it streams songs that have been uploaded to the server and scheduled to play in a show and it also plays webstreams from other servers just fine with no audio problems what so ever. But when I use Mixxx to broadcast live, the stream is very choppy and sounds as if the song continuously skipping. I am a programmer so I understand computer systems but am fairly new with this internet streaming concept. Can someone please help me get the live streaming working? 

Thanks! 
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • The first thing that pops into my mind is that your upload speed from the Mixxx machine is too slow.

You can connect Mixxx directly to the Icecast server to take Airtime out of the equation and verify this.
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • As i continued to look into the issue, I noticed that in /var/log/airtime/pypo-liquidsoap/ls_script.log these  following lines continue to happen:

2013/05/09 01:35:04 [server:3] New client: localhost.
    2013/05/09 01:35:04 [server:3] Client localhost disconnected.
    2013/05/09 01:35:05 [mksafe:3] Switch to safe_blank with forgetful transition.
    2013/05/09 01:35:08 [mksafe:3] Switch to audio_to_stereo_5935 with transition.
    2013/05/09 01:35:12 [mksafe:3] Switch to safe_blank with forgetful transition.

would that maybe have something to do with this issue? The lines that are "mksafe" directly correlate to when the skips occur in the feed. I have tested multiple upload speeds and none seem to make a difference to the broadcast. :/
    Post edited by Sam Weinkauf at 2013-05-09 02:36:57
  • After continuing to research this problem, it appears that this has something to do with the liquidsoap script. Unfortunately I do not know very much about liquidsoap, any suggestions?
  • Sam,

mksafe is activated whenever a source fails (in your case the Mixxx source). Is your server behind some proxy where the input Mixxx input stream is somehow being interrupted?

Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • Not that I am aware of. I will attempt connecting mixxx from a different location on a different network and see if that helps maybe? Would this possibly have anything to do with my mixxx live broadcast configuration?
  • Ok so lately i have continued to experiment with solutions to the problem and I can broadcast directly to the icecast server, bypassing liquidsoap and that stream has no issues with skipping...so it has something to do directly with liquidsoap. What would be the next best plan of attack to solving that issue?