Preferred Streaming Client with User Name field?
  • We've gotten AirTime installed and configured and added DJ accounts. I was setting up our AirTime to where I could assign DJs to certain shows and let them use their usernames to contact the stream, however  I now realize that 99% of IceCast/ShoutCast streaming clients do not have username fields.
    So does that mean there's really no way to have different DJs utilize their account and have been assigned to a show?

Most of us are using Traktor Scratch or Serato, neither which have User Name fields to my knowledge.

Is there no way to lump the username/password into the password field separated by a colon? (WHMSonic does this, maybe AirTime should adopt this logic, considering no developers seem to be focused on changing their streaming clients any time soon.) If that's not possible is there a way I can nullify the "username" field without having to set a Custom Auth rule on each show? Just assign a DJ and if the password field is correct it lets the Source Client auth to Show Source?
    Post edited by Holden Stanford at 2013-04-28 22:51:39
  • 11 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    a streaming-app using usernames is f.e. mixxx.
    although your idea sound really good!
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • You can always build an application basing on cvlc. Customize it as much as you want. Works fine for me.
  • You can use name:password i used it in the early days, now i supose it may not worlk, depends. But nothing better than cheking it out.
  • try m3w streamer.  it'll handle authentication.  its pretty solid. can listen to soundcard, but works great with virtual audio cables.   http://sourceforge.net/projects/m3w/
  • @Holden

Could you reiterate what you are trying to say? I don't fully understand.

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Holden Stanford <<br />airtime-support@lists.sourcefabric.org> wrote:

> We've gotten AirTime installed and configured and added DJ accounts. I was
    > setting up our AirTime to where I could assign DJs to certain shows and let
    > them use their usernames to contact the stream, however I now realize that
    > 99% of IceCast/ShoutCast streaming clients have username fields.
    > So does that mean there's really no way to have different DJs utilize
    > their account and have been assigned to a show?
    >
    > Most of us are using Traktor Scratch or Serato, neither which have User
    > Name fields to my knowledge.
    > Is there no way to lump the username/password into the password field
    > separated by a colon? (WHMSonic does this, maybe AirTime should adopt this
    > logic, considering no developers seem to be focused on changing their
    > streaming clients any time soon.)
    >
    >
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • @Holden

Could you reiterate what you are trying to say? I don't fully understand.

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Holden Stanford <
    airtime-support@lists.sourcefabric.org> wrote:

> We've gotten AirTime installed and configured and added DJ accounts. I was
    > setting up our AirTime to where I could assign DJs to certain shows and let
    > them use their usernames to contact the stream, however I now realize that
    > 99% of IceCast/ShoutCast streaming clients have username fields.
    > So does that mean there's really no way to have different DJs utilize
    > their account and have been assigned to a show?
    >
    > Most of us are using Traktor Scratch or Serato, neither which have User
    > Name fields to my knowledge.
    > Is there no way to lump the username/password into the password field
    > separated by a colon? (WHMSonic does this, maybe AirTime should adopt this
    > logic, considering no developers seem to be focused on changing their
    > streaming clients any time soon.)
    >
    >

Martin, you obviously quoted an older version of my OP.

To make things simple for you, the current implementation of DJ users is flawed. We moved our frontend from WHMSonic to AirTime because of all the DJ management features that AirTime boasted. However attaching a DJ user to a show is fundamentally flawed because most stream clients do not utilize a login field. You could argue that the solution is to naturally change the authorization from AirTime auth to custom auth, but when you're managing 10+ DJs on a web radio, that's a lot of passwords to keep laying around. You're pretty much shunting a very large demographic that would like to use AirTime and creating hassle for sysadmins. At the time of writing only Mixxx and m3w streamer seem to utilize Login fields and there's absolutely no reason to have DJs using expensive Serato boxes/Traktor Scratch setups to switch over to Mixxx (however open source it may be, it's still a real big pile.)

Solution for Airtime team: Allow multiple ways to send the Username/Password authorization, either by wrapping them together and separated by a colon (I.e. username:password) or allowing only password authorization for a DJ user to connect to the show source of their show.

Post edited by Holden Stanford at 2013-05-09 12:10:25
  • Vote Up0Vote Down charoscharos
    Maybe being a noob and using Airtime just for fun with friends, I'm missing something here, but what I did to allow a specific dj to exclusively connect to  his show, is with webstreams and multiple shoutcast servers (SMI). Each dj has his own shoutcast server that connects to with his password (no need for username). In Airtime, each dj has a webstream with the url of his shoutcast server. Once a show is booked, I simply add the show and add the webstream to his show. That way only he can stream from the Airtime.
    Are we talking about something similar here or I just hijacked a post ? :)
    Post edited by charos at 2013-05-09 14:19:39
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    I agree with charos, there are a few workarounds for this. We do it similar.
    I don't know if Icecast supports username&password by default.
    But if it does, all the streaming-client-devs have got to move, not Airtime.
    afaik Airtime just uses Icecast's possibilities for user&password-authentification.

Why are Airtime, m3w & mixxx doing this on any distro but not edcast, butt, traktor, or anything else?
    This should be the question!
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • I agree with charos, there are a few workarounds for this. We do it similar.
    I don't know if Icecast supports username&password by default.
    But if it does, all the streaming-client-devs have got to move, not Airtime.
    afaik Airtime just uses Icecast's possibilities for user&password-authentification.

Why are Airtime, m3w & mixxx doing this on any distro but not edcast, butt, traktor, or anything else?
    This should be the question!

This is a sound notion, but considering neither have had an update in a year (with BUTT being 2 years behind) I wouldn't hold your breath. The only DECENT stream client that accepts username entry for both IceCast/Shoutcast is NiceCast, but good luck switching platforms or soaking up resources just to run a VM of OSX to use it :P
    Post edited by Holden Stanford at 2013-05-11 21:43:24
  • Double post.
    Post edited by Holden Stanford at 2013-05-11 21:42:04
  • charos said:

Maybe being a noob and using Airtime just for fun with friends, I'm missing something here, but what I did to allow a specific dj to exclusively connect to  his show, is with webstreams and multiple shoutcast servers (SMI). Each dj has his own shoutcast server that connects to with his password (no need for username). In Airtime, each dj has a webstream with the url of his shoutcast server. Once a show is booked, I simply add the show and add the webstream to his show. That way only he can stream from the Airtime.
    Are we talking about something similar here or I just hijacked a post ? :)

Can you iterate on this further charos?