Help a low-budget newbie out!
  • Hello all!

So I'm working with a team to build an internet radio station for experimental music, and we're interested in using airtime.  We have a very modest budget (out of our pockets). So I'm looking for any help figuring out how to set up a modest, low-bandwidth server solution to get airtime up and running. 

Going through some of the documentation and forum posts, I understand that airtime's server requirements are pretty specific.  But does anybody recommend a hosting company with the most reasonable rates possible that can do the trick?  

I'm pretty decent with computer/internet things. I can work with basic code and solve problems. As long as there are instructions, I'm comfortable finding my way through.  But I'm not a server/networking expert (I've used godaddy for years).

Thank you!

Mitch
  • 3 Comments sorted by
  • x10 hosting you can get a VPS with unlimited bandwith for about $26 quarterly.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Micz FlorMicz Flor
    www.airtime.pro

Von unterwegs gesendet

Am 01.05.2013 um 23:56 schrieb Mitch VD :

> Hello all!
    >
    > So I'm working with a team to build an internet radio station for experimental music, and we're interested in using airtime. We have a very modest budget (out of our pockets). So I'm looking for any help figuring out how to set up a modest, low-bandwidth server solution to get airtime up and running.
    >
    > Going through some of the documentation and forum posts, I understand that airtime's server requirements are pretty specific. But does anybody recommend a hosting company with the most reasonable rates possible that can do the trick?
    >
    > I'm pretty decent with computer/internet things. I can work with basic code and solve problems. As long as there are instructions, I'm comfortable finding my way through. But I'm not a server/networking expert (I've used godaddy for years).
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Mitch
    >
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Mitch, if your team don't want to do server admin, Airtime Pro is going to be way more cost effective. You may get cheaper hosting deals but those companies will not support you with Airtime issues, or for any other software that you install.

If you prefer to learn more about Airtime, what I'd suggest is that you find a spare PC, install Debian or Ubuntu on it, and run a test server from home. You can stream around your LAN, or to a limited degree over domestic Internet connections using port forwarding on a broadband router. This does not necessarily save money in the medium to long term since the PC will have energy costs, which add up when run 24/7 as a server, and it won't scale to bigger audiences without an external streaming server, but it's a cheap way to check out Airtime and Icecast for yourself.

The choice really depends on whether you just want to make the radio station happen, or whether you want to learn about the tech and be independent. Learning new skills is good, of course, but it will eat into the time you have available for making the radio programmes. Ideally, you could aim to build a team with some more technical people and some people who are more comfortable being radio presenters.

Cheers!

Daniel