Watched folder updates but mysteriously does silly things.....
  • Hi guys – sorry but as a complete novice I'm picking your brains again…

With the help of one or two very nice people in another thread and my own developer I managed to set up a new folder on the server and set this up to be a watched folder. The theory being that whenever a file is uploaded to this watched folder it imports into the library etc.

Now I've got it working but with a problem…

So, I'm working with a news file and we are calling it simply news.MP3. I am up loading it with an FTP client to the watched folder in the FTP client is asking me if I wish to replace the existing file on the folder to which I am selecting yes. The file upload successfully and when you go into the library immediately after it says that it is importing a new file.

If I then search the library for news.mp3 it finds the file and when I preview file it plays the most recent updated version – everything is perfect you would think… But not so LOL

Because this is a news file is scheduled to go out at the top of the hour so today I set up some test shows and built the content to start with news.MP3 and then other content afterwards. The first one played and was perfect. I then followed the procedure above and uploaded a different file to the watched folder to replace the existing news file. This replaced successfully and deleted the old file I thought from the server. When the next scheduled news play it still played the old file despite the fact that when I searched the library there was only one copy of the file and this was the most up-to-date one which I previewed.

So, am I right in thinking that if I schedule my shows a few days in advance and tell it to use news.mp3 at the top of every hour the watched folder should automatically update this file so that it plays the most recent version? It's not doing that. It's playing what was the most recent version at the time of adding it to the playlist for that slot and however many times it is updated and replaced it still seems to play that original file that was the one on the server at the time that I created the show.

Is there any way that anybody knows of that this can be changed so that I can create the shows for the week all with the same news.mp3 at the top of the hour but obviously when it imports from the watched folder it actually reflects on what is played in future scheduled shows?

If I schedule a show after I have updated the file then it plays the new file but obviously that seems to defeat the object of having watched folder because if I'm going to go to that trouble of only creating my news show every hour prior to going out than I might as well do the whole thing manually rather than make use of the watched folder facility!

Please please please help – please – please please – there must be a way around this. Our station goes live in just a few days after a lot of publicity and all to support a charity and we really don't have the resources to have somebody manually programming all of the shows every hour we would rather set them up once a week and then use an automatic FTP program just pull the latest news file down and upload it in time for the broadcast.

Thanks for your help guys – as always I'm very much looking forward to reading your responses.
  • 4 Comments sorted by
  • just finisihed playing with this again and 100% every time - if you schedule the news.mp3 into a show or a playlist it ALWAYS plays the version that was on the server at the time of scheduling.  Even if you over-write it with a new one - future scheduled plays play the old version.. the upload/import is working however because if i play news.mp3 and then after upload to watched folder and then schedule the same file for 5 mins later it plays new one but only if you schedule it AFTER uploading it to the watched folder - surely watched folder should play the latest version always?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    Hi Steve(?),
    maybe this has to do with the fact, that Airtime prepares shows 1 hour ahead of airing?
    I don't know where exactly, but this is mentioned somewhere in the flossmanuals-faq.

Or maybe just a bug!
    Some features are really young (v2.2), and for 2.4 there are a few things planned going in your direction.
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • You are becoming my hero!

Thanks - I will hope it is an hour ahead thing and mock up a play for tonight, then an upload and a play for tomorrow morning and see what happens :)

and again THANK YOU for your help!
  • Hello,

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Turquoise Radio <<br />airtime-support@lists.sourcefabric.org> wrote:

> just finisihed playing with this again and 100% every time - if you
    > schedule the news.mp3 into a show or a playlist it ALWAYS plays the version
    > that was on the server at the time of scheduling. Even if you over-write
    > it with a new one - future scheduled plays play the old version.. the
    > upload/import is working however because if i play news.mp3 and then after
    > upload to watched folder and then schedule the same file for 5 mins later
    > it plays new one but only if you schedule it AFTER uploading it to the
    > watched folder - surely watched folder should play the latest version
    > always?

I'm also using Watched Folders (still under version 2.3.0) but the files I
    upload there don't automatically show up in the Library and I need to see
    them usually within five minutes or so. So I've been clicking on SYSTEM,
    Media Folders then clicking the rescan icon next to the X for the watched
    folder. It can take one to three minutes for the import to kick in and
    start the scan.

Hope this helps,
    -Bill