Pulling whats left of my hair out!
  • Hi Guys & Gals

I am currently on a trial and quite impressed with your software compared to others (Centova being one) but I do have some queries that I just cannot get the answers to anywhere in the help docs:

1) Your features list says I can rebroadcast scheduled streams (other stations) and we will be taking live streams from one or two other stations for a few of our weekly shows but I cannot find out how I set this up anywhere.  Centova simply sets up a scheduled relay but I cannot find this here.  

2) I have managed to set up scheduled shows and their content fine.  If we have a weekly show (charts for exmple) then can we with FTP simply replace the filename with an identicle one each week to updae the content of the repeating show?

3) When nothing is scheduled nothing plays.  Is it possible to set generics up so if there is no scheduled show something else will play or do I need to set playlists for every hour of the day?

4) Centova has this ANNOYING thing whereby if a playlist is due to start it will not start until the end of the track before.  Therefore, something due to start on the hour will often start late (for example if a 4 minute track began playing at 1 minute to the hour).  Does yours stop whatever is playing and kick in at the exact time?

5) Stats.... for PRS purposes we need quite in depth stats - geo locations, TLH by day/ hour etc.  Your stats seem rather basic.  I there an upraded stats or any othre way to get stats like Centova produce - both live and historic?

Thanks for all the help - looking forward to working with you guys

All the best
    Steve
  • 15 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    Hi Steve,

1) You can rebroadcast. In the Library you can create Playlists, Smart-Playlists or Webstreams.
    Just create a Webstream, point to the mountpoint and decide how long to stream. Prepare one Webstream per Duration. (f.e. Webstream Radio X 12min, Webstream Radio X 30min) and assign the Webstream to a show. You can also put a Webstream into playlist and assign the Playlist to a Show...

2) You can change the showcontent per FTP if you consider this http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/14634/possibility-to-make-filepath-usable-in-smartplaylist and this http://en.flossmanuals.net/airtime-en-2-3/using-the-airtime-import-script/ - if you use id3-tags for Smart-Playlists this is already possible in a certain way.

3) A Fallback-Playlist is expected to be implemented in v2.4 and with a workaround it is possible atm, look here http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/comment/23361#Comment_23361

4) Airtime schedules Just-In-Time, which means a Start of a Show always fades out the running (overbooked) show. Scheduling atm only possible for exact to the minute. But theres also a workaround for this or just vote for it in the dev-section and it should be implemented soon. http://dev.sourcefabric.org/browse/CC-4681

5) I cannot answer this. Maybe another user/mod could go in depth with this question.

greetz, hoerich
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • Thanks.... That was very helpful.

I have one other query... I have hosting with another company which to be fair is incredible value and gives me not only Centova (great for stats) but also 1TB of storage.  They inform me they can install airtime on the server rather than use the airtime package for server space...

will this allow remote DJ access?

I know on the paid packages it seems only possible on certain ones, but I want DJ's (me and others) to have their own log in and be able to log in at certain times... can this be done on the free version?
    Yes, this can also be done in the free version.
    AFAIK Airtime Pro just differs from free in Support- & Cloud-Storage & Streaming-Options and not on Software itself.
    We are a terrestrial Radio Station and also use the free Version locally without any Limits.
  • 5) You can try free logfile analyzer software like AW-Stats, Webalizer or something. There is also a commercial product from sawmill.net, which has better results because they have plugins for Icecast/Shoutcast.

Maybe it's also possible with Piwik? http://piwik.org/log-analytics/
    Post edited by Helmut Müller at 2013-03-31 11:12:39
  • Hi

Thanks again for the comments... huerich - or anyone for that matter... does anyone know exactly to configure the DJ acccess? or a link to a step by step guide?

Our server company have installed Centova but will install this, in the meantime they have set this on a demo server for us.  we have log in details, we have encoder details for output but I am struggling to work out how to configure the servers page for dj's to log in.

i have used wavepanel and this (even if just using their streaming) provides log in details for DJ's etc but cand find anything here :(
  • If you go to SYSTEMS and click USERS you can add additional users.
    When you add a show there is an option to create a special log in to access that show. To my understanding the log in can be set so a Dj can access all of his shows or you can permit a one time access.
  • thanks lisa - thats what i have tried but when i connect as that Dj at the time it seems to connect (using the same mp3 encoder as the main output on airtime) but says no source is connected.  There are settings to configure for source connections in the servers tab but frankly I am baffled as to what they should be... i put in the ip address etc and port but it says 8000 is in use (for output I guess) so not sure how to configure!
  • You have to use a port other than 8000 or 8001. Try 8002
    Post edited by Lisa Forbes at 2013-03-31 14:17:23
  • Thanks for your help guys but still can't get anywhere.... setup now is as follows:

Centova is broadcasting on a server... airtime is on a seperate server and will broadcast perfectly to the Centova server (in theory as a live connection 24/7 to centavo).  The input stream though to connect live dj's to airtime is making me scream... nothing works... i have the ip address of the server hosting airtime... i have set up a master log in, and DJ logins but nicecast throws them all out as either invalid host or another error... there must be some way of working out how I stream IN to this software???

from a very sleepy and vert frustrated steve... thanks guys and gals and night night :(
  • What are you using as the Master Username? Whatever it is try changing it to source an be sure that the settings for your input stream and Airtime are the same.
    If that doesn't work try using show source instead of Master source. I think show source is what you would need to use to enable log ins for more than one Dj.
    Hope things look better in the morning!
  • Hi Lisa and everyone,

It's great to find so many knowledgeable people – I appreciate all of your help. I'm not a complete doughnut and when it comes to radio believe it or not I have 15 years experience but when it comes to Internet radio it's completely new to me!

I have tried with master usernames, one-off usernames and passwords both with or without a username and of course allocating slots to specific DJs but where I am having the problem and what I can't get my head around is this…

In the streaming section you have the left and the right of the screen. The right is the details of the output encoder – in other words, my outputting coder is with a completely separate company on a completely separate server and they are providing my shout cast details. So, I simply connect this service as the permanent light source feed by entering the encoder settings into the details on the right-hand side.

But what should the details be on the left-hand side? Server details I mean. Clearly, I cannot be streaming from SAM broadcaster directly to my shout cast server – I need to stream to the server that has airtime installed on it. I have the IP address of the server but it doesn't seem to work. But obviously if I put the same encoder details into SAM broadcaster as I have in air time them both this program and the live source are going to be trying to broadcast to the same server and clearly what should be happening is (and it is with scheduled shows) that airtime broadcasts to my shout cast server but then I need to be able to broadcast in as a source to airtime but I am not sure what details to be entering as far as the server, ports or anything else go. I know that when I had paid accounts with airtime they gave a rather long URL for live broadcasts to stream into  so there must be some kind of directory pattern within the installation of this software which is where I need to point my sam broadcaster or nice cast. I hope my problem is making more sense now? Thanks in advance everybody for your help.
  •  You should try to use icecast on the airtime server and then make a relay (or pick up the stream) on your centova server.
  • I forgot you also could use Overide Function. So on the left side you could have for example:
    Master Username : source

Master Source Port : 8002

Master Source Mount Point : master

Master Source Connection URL: http://your_artimeserver_IP:8002/master Override

OK RESET

(Click on Override, then type in your Airtime Server IP and click OK to save)

Master Username must be source because Sam Broadcaster doesn't provide a Username setting.

In Sam Broadcaster Encoder settings should look like the attached file.
    515 x 521 - 45K
    Post edited by Helmut Müller at 2013-04-02 11:59:14
  • Thanks guys for your help - the last comment worked fine - thanks Helmut!