Make book visible only to group?
  • Hello all,

Can one of you helpful people please help me figure out how to make a book visible only to me and my co-author in Booktype Pro Free? As it is, I am confident that only my co-author and I can edit the book. But it seems that if I go to the book's web site when not logged in, I can view the book, which suggests that anybody can see the book. But I don't want anybody but me and my co-author to see the book.

When I used "hide from others" setting, it seems that my co-author can't see the book. Is there a way to "hide from others" except the other that I want to be able to view and edit the book?

Thanks very much!
    Ross
    Post edited by Ross Kaminsky at 2013-03-28 09:30:07
  • 5 Comments sorted by
  • Hi Ross!

There is a small issue with this in the interface. I was planning to fix it in the current development version but I am not sure I will have enough time.

This is what you should do. Book should have that "hide from others" status.  Go to the editing interface, switch to the Settings tab and select Permissions and visibility to be "admins and editors". Click on the button "Manage roles" and add your friend to the "Admin" or "Editor" role. 

After this, book will be visible to you and you and your friend will be only people who can edit. Unfortunately, your friend will not see the book in his dashboard (that is the issue I mentioned) but if he enters full url to the book in the browser he will be able to edit the book. Hope this last part will be fixed soon and other Editor will see normally books in their Dashboard.

Aco

• Hi Aco,

The problem is that if someone goes to the web site and clicks on "books" at the top, then clicks "view draft", they can see the book even if not an editor or admin!

For now, this problem makes it impossible for me to use Booktype, sadly...

I'll keep checking back for updates to see if the issue gets fixed.
  • Hi Ross!

They should see message "You have no permissions to do this!" and not book content. If your book has "hidden" status and you limited access to "admins and editors" anonymous users and other users in the system should not be able to see the book. Just in case, I have tested it on one demo book right now.

Aco

• Hi Aco,

When I set it to hidden, my co-author has no access even though I added him as editor and admin.

Ross
  • Hi Ross!

Will take a look at the settings on your instance today.

Aco