Newscoop 4.1 makes frontend search Solr-powered
  • Hi Newscoopers,

Newscoop 4.1 has been released and includes frontend search capabilities powered by Solr, the open source enterprise search platform used by Netflix, Instagram, SourceForge, NASA, WhiteHouse.gov and Apple.

There is also a critical security fix meaning upgrade is strongly recommended.

Solr is an open source enterprise search platform from the Apache Lucene project. Its major features include powerful full-text search, hit highlighting, faceted search, dynamic clustering, database integration, and rich document (e.g., Word, PDF) handling. Providing distributed search and index replication, Solr is highly scalable.

Guidelines on how to install Solr are here.

Newscoop installation is supported on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 (Precise), Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 (Squeeze), and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3 (Santiago).

There are Debian, Ubuntu and Red Hat Enterprise packages, which allow for an automated install and you can find out more about these on the download page and in the manual.

The changelog headlines are as follows:

- Integration of Apache Lucene Solr
    - New article-rating feature allows readers to give a rating feedback to the author which can optionally be displayed on the frontend
    - New Facebook Login allows journalists and editors to sign in to site backend with Facebook logins
    - New tags for the template engine: list_users and list_user_topics
    - Security fix: Unnecessary error reporting exposed on front-end templates
    - 11 other important bug fixes

Congratulations to the whole Newscoop team and huge thanks to all the Georgian organisations who helped us with this, plus to everyone who bug-tested and gave us feedback.

Best, Adam
  • 28 Comments sorted by
  • Nalyk, the archive you get from Github is not similar to the official archive you can get from Sourceforge here http://sourceforge.net/projects/newscoop/files/4.1.0/

There is a stage of packaging and that makes the difference. We recommend give a try to the tarball or zip files from Sourceforge.

If you prefer to stick to Github, let us know what you do once you download the archive to try the installer, so that we can help you.

All Best,

• to run github version you would need to install dependencies via composer
  • Hi Nalyk,

You can find precise documentation about Article Rating here https://wiki.sourcefabric.org/display/CS/Article+Rating

the code snippets in the wiki were not shipped in the version of The New Custodian part of Newscoop 4.1.0, so you must add those files to your theme.

We will update soon our manual and cookbook to include documentation on those other two features.
  • Thanks Adam
  • Might be a lame question: it is possible to simply upgrade from 4.0.3 "Majda", right?
  • Reply to @Nalyk+Calmis:

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers! ;)

We've tested (and support) upgrades from 3.5.3, 3.5.5, 4.0.0, 4.0.2, 4.0.3 and 4.0.4.

Full upgrade instructions are here: http://en.flossmanuals.net/newscoop-4-journalists-en-4-0/backup-and-upgrade/

As ever, make a full backup before you start.
  • Reply to @Jansel+Rios+Menoya: No problem! Let us know how you get on with the new version!
  • Hi Thomas!

I'll test this soon. I was trying with 4.0.4 but this one looks better, so I'll keep you posted on the tests.

All best.
  • Someone tried to make a clean install of 4.1 version? I get a blank page on install link. What might be the problem?
  • Hi Nalyk,

It was tested in different platforms before releasing. Can you please provide more details on the platform and settings you are running the installation on? Thanks.

• I had a succesful install of 4.0.3 "Majda" vesrion on OpenShift Platform (https://openshift.redhat.com).

I did a full backup and removed all DocumentRoot content.

I got 4.1 version from github, unzipped it, copied the newscoop folder's content into the DocumentRoot on OpenShift (same things i did with 4.0.3) and, when accessing my url, while expecting the install process, i get a blank page.

PHP Version 5.3.3, MySQL 5.1, running on Linux ex-std-node110.prod.rhcloud.com  2.6.32-279.14.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Oct 15 13:44:51 EDT 2012 x86_64.

• Great! You are right. The Sourceforge archive works well.

Thank you, @Holman.

• The changelog headlines are as follows:
    - New article-rating feature allows readers to give a rating feedback to
    the author which can optionally be displayed on the frontend

- New Facebook Login allows journalists and editors to sign in to site backend with Facebook logins

- New tags for the template engine: list_users and list_user_topics

Where we can find documentation on these three changes?
  • hello all
    I try to download NC4.1 from this link https://sourceforge.net/projects/newscoop/files/latest/download?source=files and got NC 4.0.3 So it should be or is it a mistake?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
    clear browser cache
  • hello Andrey. Isn't sure this depend from cache, because i tried open link from another computer. I never open before there sourcefabric resources. There i see 4.0.3.tar.gz
    Anyway, I cleared cache on my pc and tried again to download archive from sourceforge and got newscoop 4.0.3
    Look at screenshot please, why green button have 4.0.3 caption?

My main browser is FF 18.0.1, but i tried download via chrome.
    1038 x 560 - 103K
    Post edited by Ruslan Shilov at 2013-01-31 05:41:08
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
    it's correct for me: http://screencloud.net/v/j2hc
  • Hi Ruslan,

Strange behaviour. I just checked it out using couple different browsers and the green button reads "Newscoop 4.1.0" and the link you provided to latest available file gets me newscoop-4.1.0.zip
  • Hi Holman.  I do not understand anything. I connected to home pc via teamviewer and tried to download archive and got newscoop_4.0.3.tar.gz.
    Then I asked a friend who works as network administrator and lives in another city, download the archive here. He also got 4.0.3.
    Then I click
    Browse all Files i see all versions, including 4.1.0, but nevertheless, at the top is listed as 4.0.3 final version.

• Thanks for pointing that out. We will report the issue to Sourceforge.

All Best,
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Martin SaturkaMartin Saturka
    Hi Ruslan,
    could not Sourceforge have different servers (or view caching) for different areas?

It works correctly for some guys around (including me) in Prague. I get 4.1.0, and it is at the top of "browse all files".

Apropos, that teamviewer does not use some caching, and you are not behind some proxy, right?

M.

• Holman, thanks for understanding.

Hi Martin.
    I'm not sure about different servers, but ofcource SF have many servers, anyway content should be mirrored.
    My provider have cache-server but it is transparent.
    At work I administer the server is responsible for access to the Internet and to be sure to clear the cache there, but the result is not produced.
    I live in Ukraine, this is not so far from You and I write about what i see.
    Perhaps it is a problem with the cache servers and maybe not. I do not know what to think, everything in my power I did.
    Post edited by Ruslan Shilov at 2013-01-31 06:39:43
  • Newscoop 4.1.0.zip here in Berlin

Could be a problem with the 'recommended version' button of SourceForge. I'll double check the latest version is recommended for all users, all locations, all OSs.
  • Indeed, that was the problem - now fixed.
  • Hi all
    And here is the solution of the problem. I did not do anything, just wait. Refresh the page and see the button to download the 4.1.0, the same version of the proposed

Thanks all for your attention :)
  • Very sorry about this, was an oversight in our usual release day workflow. We'll double check this next time. We had actually spotted it internally, but thought it was caching and didn't follow up.

Thanks for the vigilance!
  • You should not apologize, it's work. Thanks for the quick fix.
  • @Ruslan+Shilov: You should not apologise, it's work.

I can't help it, I'm British. ;)