Newbie Stream Issues
  • Brand new to Airtime and excited to get to work with such a fantastic piece of open source software!

I'm having trouble getting the streams to work so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have tried connecting to two different SHOUTcast streams on Primcast as well as an Icecast stream on ShoutCheap, and as far as I can ever get is Airtime will say "Getting information from server ..." but it never connects.

I'm sure I'm just missing something fundamental, so I'd appreciate any pointers on what the problem might be and how to troubleshoot. I have tried telnetting to the relevant ports from the server on which Airtime is running to eliminate the possibility that it might be a firewall issue and I can successfully connect to the ports, so I'm not sure what to test next.

Thanks! Looking forward to digging into Airtime more and hopefully contributing to the community as I gain more expertise.
  • 12 Comments sorted by
  • You could try running airtime-test-stream from the command line  Run it with the -h option to see how to use it. Use the -v option to print detailed output. The problem should then reveal itself.
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • Thanks! Very helpful. airtime-test-stream connects fine. No errors, and I hear the monotone over the Icecast stream. But using the same settings, credentials, etc. from the Airtime web interface, it still says "Getting information from the server ..." and never connects.

I looked in the log files and didn't see anything relevant there, though maybe that indicates an issue. I do see entries for test-harbor and it doesn't seem to be logging the other stream connection attempts -- is that normal behavior? Something else I can dig into?
  • Does the auto-generated file /etc/airtime/liquidsoap.cfg contain the values you expect?

What about icecast on your local machine? If that's installed, can you connect to that?
  • Interesting, /etc/airtime/liquidsoap.cfg doesn't exist. A file with that name does exist in /var/lib/airtime/tmp/python_apps/pypo/liquidsoap_scripts/

Permission issue perhaps? What owner and group are supposed to own /etc/airtime? Currently it's pypo:pypo on the /etc/airtime directory itself but the files in there are as follows:
    -rw-r-----   1 www-data www-data  534 Jan 27 16:59 airtime.conf
    -rw-r--r--   1 root     root       89 Nov  7  2011 airtime.ini
    -rw-r--r--   1 root     root      255 Sep  1  2011 apache.conf
    -rw-r--r--   1 root     root      472 Sep  1  2011 apache.vhost.tpl
    -rw-r-----   1 pypo     pypo     4785 Jan 27 16:59 api_client.cfg
    -rw-r-----   1 pypo     pypo      929 Jan 27 16:59 media-monitor.cfg
    -rw-r-----   1 pypo     pypo     2690 Jan 27 16:59 pypo.cfg

Also when I try to connect to a shoutcast stream on primcast (I bring that up in case the shoutcast version matters since the shoutcast we're on is still version 1) using the stream test tool, I do get an error -- here's the output from that (replacing the real info with foo, etc.).
    Outputting to shoutcast streaming server. You should be able to hear a monotonous tone on 'http://foo.primcast.com:8356/test'. Press ctrl-c to quit.
    airtime-liquidsoap /usr/lib/airtime/pypo/bin/liquidsoap_scripts/library/pervasives.liq 'output.shoutcast(%mp3, host="foo.primcast.com", port = 8356, user= "foo", password = "foo", sine())'
    Line 1, char 2 before "/": Parse error!

• Interesting, /etc/airtime/liquidsoap.cfg doesn't exist. A file with that name does exist in /var/lib/airtime/tmp/python_apps/pypo/liquidsoap_scripts/

Permission issue perhaps? What owner and group are supposed to own /etc/airtime? Currently it's pypo:pypo on the /etc/airtime directory itself but the files in there are as follows:
    -rw-r-----   1 www-data www-data  534 Jan 27 16:59 airtime.conf
    -rw-r--r--   1 root     root       89 Nov  7  2011 airtime.ini
    -rw-r--r--   1 root     root      255 Sep  1  2011 apache.conf
    -rw-r--r--   1 root     root      472 Sep  1  2011 apache.vhost.tpl
    -rw-r-----   1 pypo     pypo     4785 Jan 27 16:59 api_client.cfg
    -rw-r-----   1 pypo     pypo      929 Jan 27 16:59 media-monitor.cfg
    -rw-r-----   1 pypo     pypo     2690 Jan 27 16:59 pypo.cfg

Also when I try to connect to a shoutcast stream on primcast (I bring that up in case the shoutcast version matters since the shoutcast we're on is still version 1) using the stream test tool, I do get an error -- here's the output from that (replacing the real info with foo, etc.).
    Outputting to shoutcast streaming server. You should be able to hear a monotonous tone on 'http://foo.primcast.com:8356/test'. Press ctrl-c to quit.
    airtime-liquidsoap /usr/lib/airtime/pypo/bin/liquidsoap_scripts/library/pervasives.liq 'output.shoutcast(%mp3, host="foo.primcast.com", port = 8356, user= "foo", password = "foo", sine())'
    Line 1, char 2 before "/": Parse error!

• What's the output of "sudo -u pypo /usr/lib/airtime/pypo/bin/airtime-liquidsoap"?
  • I get "command not found" when I run that.

The only thing under /usr/lib/airtime is airtime_virtualenv which has all the usual python virtualenv stuff in it.
  • Should have probably also mentioned -- to run the airtime-test-stream I had to specify the full path, as my user at least: python /var/lib/airtime/tmp/utils/airtime-test-stream.py -v etc. ...
  • Looks lile something went wrong with your install. Never seen this, try
    starting from scratch by purging the deb package
    On Jan 28, 2013 12:57 AM, "Matt Woodward" <<br />airtime-support@lists.sourcefabric.org> wrote:

> Should have probably also mentioned
  • Thanks -- doing that now. Very impressed with the level of community support!

I'll follow up to let you know what happens, for the purposes of closing the loop on this thread if nothing else.

Thanks again!
  • I wiped everything out and reinstalled and so far so good! Icecast stream works at least. I'll test shoutcast tomorrow.

The original installation I did was the "easy install" so this time around I did the manual installation and that seems to have done the trick.

Thanks so much again for the assistance!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    Mark thread as solved :D