Why won't booktype insert the page numbers in the table of contents
  • I've tried for a day to get the TOC to show the page numbers. Am running the free hosted version of Booktype. I have repeatedly loaded/reloaded the sample CSS for TOC - nothing works. The font changes with the new CSS, but still NO PAGE NUMBERS. 

This is either very deep or very simple to solve - I suspect the latter....
  • 2 Comments sorted by
  • Okay, so some dude says add a Section above the TOC. And hey presto, the page numbers appear. 
    Only so does all this other junk like the section name, and numbers in front of the Chapter headings. Oh, you have to colour them white - then they disappear. What???

This is a bit like pharmaceuticals - you take something to fix a problem, but oh, we forgot to tell you, it creates another one.

Booktype is a really great concept, but surely putting a Table of Contents in shouldn't require a PhD in CSS programming. Come on....

Still working on this. I'd love to hear a straightforward fix.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Micz FlorMicz Flor
    Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your input. We launched Booktype Pro a few weeks back and are in the process of improving our software based on use cases, feedback like yours. I didn't quite understand your set up yet.

The table of contents for print PDF will be generated as you generate the PDF. Beforehand, the system does not know the page numbers, because the page size and fonts are set in the publishing process, so only then the actual page numbers can be calculated and the table of content written into the PDF.

So for that step, no PhD is needed, it just comes later in the workflow - and possibly we need to make that more clear in the documentation.

Regarding the CSS for styling: we are working on the possibility to work with pre-sets. This will be implemented later this year of early 2013. Right now we are in the process to improve the rendering options (for digital and print) which will also soon allow better import an export across different formats.

I would like to understand your styling needs better so we can include it in the blueprint and put it in the developers' pipeline.

Thanks, micz