Server goes to sleep or crashes
  • I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post but have left message on ubuntu forum and am still waiting for a reply.

I
    have ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server installed on a virtualbox with vbox software,
    everything seems to operate as it should apart from the machine either
    crashing or it goes to sleep and won't recover, it goes to black screen
    and refuses to wake or respond (i'm not sure where the logs are so i can
    check ?) this happens roughly every 24 hours, i have monitor software
    pinging the server every 5 minutes to try keep it alive, i also have
    streaming software running on the machine.

I have Airtime installed the web page displays and works fine, also the streaming
    side works well but i find every morning i have to reboot to get
    it all running again. Is this an Airtime issue or Ubuntu ?

Any tips or pointers would be most appreciated.
    Post edited by mikeibc at 2012-10-31 15:42:24
  • 7 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up1Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
    I think it's a virtualbox on windows specific issue.
    1. Check virtualbox version and upgrade if outdated. The latest version is 4.2.4
    2. Install Ubuntu 12.04 from scratch and check how it's working w/o Airtime for a couple of days
    3. Install Airtime
  • Hi Mike,

I don't think this is an Airtime issue. How much ram did you allocate your Virtual Machine? How much disk space?

Please run the terminal commands:

free -m
    df -T

and post the outputs of both here.
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • Hi Martin,

Couldn't work out how to copy and paste from the terminal so did a screenshot instead.

Thanks.
    648 x 524 - 24K
  • Hmm the output of those looks fine to me.

I have Airtime installed the web page displays and works fine, also the streaming 
    it all running again. Is this an Airtime issue or Ubuntu ? 

What does this mean? Does the streaming stop as well? Or you can still stream music and connect to the website, and only the VM interface is unresponsive?
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro

• " I have Airtime installed the web page displays and works fine, also the streaming 
    it all running again. Is this an Airtime issue or Ubuntu ? "

I was pointing out that airtime webpage and streaming works correctly up until the next morning where by the webpage and streaming fails to respond and i have to close the vm by quitting it rather than it being shutdown properly.

"I think it's a virtualbox on windows specific issue.
    "

I think there maybe something to this as going back to the machine the next day clicking firefox or a notepad file that i left open seems to take awhile to respond, i've turned off sleep mode completely on the windows machine but seems a lil laggy to respond at first. Both Windows and Ubuntu are clean installs, i've only installed 4 programs on Windows easybcd coreftp virtualbox and winamp, on Ubuntu i've installed LAMP SSH and Samba just wondering if there are any known conflicts with these programs before i try reinstalling again.

The virtual machine software is 4.2.0 so i'll try update that later this evening.
    Thanks.
    Post edited by mikeibc at 2012-11-01 14:25:12
  • At the moment i'm using win7 64bit and ubuntu 64bit with a AMD dual core processor and Asus M4n78 and 8gb ram. Which environment is the best to use Airtime with 64bit or 32bit ?
    Post edited by mikeibc at 2012-11-01 14:45:13
  • Thanks Andrey that's got it working.

Only one issue so far with the stream not switching from the master to the show stream but i'll start new thread about that.