best airtime structure
  • I wish to install an airtime radio station. What would be the best structure for 24/7 radio. 

1. way
    - airtime on hosted VServer
    - Streamserver on Hostet VServer
    - Data on Hostet VServer

2. way
    - airtime on hosted VServer
    - Streamserver on Hosted VServer
    - Data on Homeserver

3. way
    - airtime on Homeserver
    - data on Homeserver
    - streamserver on hosted webserver

My need is ca 2tb data for 1year 24/7 load. To rent this amount of memory i think is to expensive for me in the beginng. 
    Please help me to understand what way was the best to run my radio.
    Greetings
    OM
  • 8 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Cliff WangCliff Wang
    I didn't test on 24/7 for such a lot of contents (2 TB). But I'm sure it will cause a lot of time if you upload 2 TB songs to Airtime, and it could be a bottle neck of the performance. Definitely, you need a server with good performance for Media Monitor service (it belongs to Airtime).

Fortunately, Airtime 2.2 have improved the Media Monitor performance so much that we won't have that problem any more.
    Cloud Radio -> http://airtime.pro
  • Hi Olaf,

The optimal Airtime installation depends a lot on how you need to use it. If you're only going to be playing MP3s without any in-studio announcers, a cloud-based installation like Airtime Pro (www.airtime.pro) would probably be best. That's more like 1) in your examples.

But if you're in a broadcast FM environment, you will probably need a PC running Airtime directly in the studio with a streaming server at your data center. That's more like 3) in your examples.

Having the PC in your facility will also be the easiest way to get 2TB of material into Airtime. But maybe we misunderstood - do you mean 2TB of streaming bandwidth instead?
    Douglas Arellanes
    Director of Innovation
    Sourcefabric, o.p.s.

Find a way or make one.
  • Hi Olaf,

The optimal Airtime installation depends a lot on how you need to use it. If you're only going to be playing MP3s without any in-studio announcers, a cloud-based installation like Airtime Pro (www.airtime.pro) would probably be best. That's more like 1) in your examples.

But if you're in a broadcast FM environment, you will probably need a PC running Airtime directly in the studio with a streaming server at your data center. That's more like 3) in your examples.

Having the PC in your facility will also be the easiest way to get 2TB of material into Airtime. But maybe we misunderstood - do you mean 2TB of streaming bandwidth instead?
    Douglas Arellanes
    Director of Innovation
    Sourcefabric, o.p.s.

Find a way or make one.
  • Hi Olaf,

The optimal Airtime installation depends a lot on how you need to use it.
    If you're only going to be playing MP3s without any in-studio announcers, a
    cloud-based installation like Airtime Pro (www.airtime.pro) would probably
    be best. That's more like 1) in your examples.

But if you're in a broadcast FM environment, you will probably need a PC
    running Airtime directly in the studio with a streaming server at your data
    center. That's more like 3) in your examples.

Having the PC in your facility will also be the easiest way to get 2TB of
    material into Airtime. But maybe we misunderstood - do you mean 2TB of
    streaming bandwidth instead?

-- doug

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 1:05 AM, Cliff Wang <<br />airtime-support@lists.sourcefabric.org> wrote:

> I didn't test on 24/7 for such a lot of contents (2 TB). But I'm sure it
    > will cause a lot of time if you upload 2 TB songs to Airtime, and it could
    > be a bottle neck of the performance. Definitely, you need a server with
    > good performance for Media Monitor service (it belongs to Airtime).
    >
    > Fortunately, Airtime 2.2 have improved the Media Monitor performance so
    > much that we won't have that problem any more.
    >
    >
    Douglas Arellanes
    Director of Innovation
    Sourcefabric, o.p.s.

Find a way or make one.
  • Sorry about the multiple posts, btw. Something seems stuck in the forum server...
    Douglas Arellanes
    Director of Innovation
    Sourcefabric, o.p.s.

Find a way or make one.
  • Hi Douglas, 
    thanks for your answer. No, it's correct, i mean 2tb-audio material. This is nearly the range for 1 year 24 programming. 

Question again: On amazon i found your sourfabric-sticks. Are this realy preconfigured installations für users like me? Plugged in an work? will it runs from the sticks (Airtime & Newscoop my interests)? 

And at last: i have rent a VServer but struggel from trouble to trouble, because my low linux knowledge. Do you have install services only, as package like the sourcefabric hosting packages? To host a managed server on sourcefabric ist to expensive for me in the beginning.

THX
  • Hi Olaf,

2TB of material uploaded to any server will be rather expensive, no matter which service you're using. In this case you would probably be better off using a local Airtime install on hardware that is in your facility (including your 2TB of material on a hard disk) and then streaming that to a streaming provider.

The Airtime stick we sell should provide you with an easy way of installing Ubuntu Linux in addition to Airtime. I've used it and have found it pretty easy to use, but your mileage may vary. 

As for Sourcefabric's services, we do provide paid support which may cover this work, but I think you will find that over time, Airtime Pro will have several advantages if you're not very Linux-savvy, mainly in that it will save you all of the trouble of setting up and then maintaining your Airtime install.

One final thought: Do you really need all 2TB uploaded in advance, or are you asking about the overall potential capacity for the system? It would seem that you could upload content a few weeks at a time, and that would be a lot less painful in a hosted (read as: Airtime Pro) environment.
    Douglas Arellanes
    Director of Innovation
    Sourcefabric, o.p.s.

Find a way or make one.
  • As installation service i mainly thought on newscoop only. Airtime must be in house, because the production an memory capaciti. Like the version 3 i ask for in my list. 

So i will install airtime on a local machine, connected with my local audio server, and will stream the result to an audio stream server.