Disconnect on downtime? [Suggestion]
  • I have noticed in my short 2 days of using Airtime on my server with my Icecast that Airtime doesn't disconnect when nothing is scheduled or all switches are off. This would be good to allow for any station with an autodj (icecast mostly) to transfer to the fall back.  Though my suggestion could be solved with different ways and i may try to touch on a few of the ideas here.

First, we could go with the switches thing. Like "If Sources = unswitched then Disconnect from Radio server" Then with this option add a few more options in the stream settings like add an "auto switch on schedule Begin" "Autoswitch on schedule End"  just like you have for the master/show and it would behave the same way. Now this option would autoswitch the schedule source on when a schedule begins and the other would switch it off when it ends. Thus allowing, if chosen as a good option, for Airtime to check if all sources are off and if all sources are off then disconnect. (this could also be icecast dependent) Also it may be best to put this on a timer like "if sources = unswitched && timer > 30(seconds) then disconnect"

Second, You could simply just disconnect when nothing is scheduled and all other sources are disconnected(may be the same as above, maybe i just worded it different? O.o) the only issue i feel with this bruteforce style method is that with improper implementation it would kill the connection when a show ot master source is connected. (though obviously this would get seen during dev)

Third, And i know this one has most likely been asked, intigrate an autodj into airtime with a random placement of songs. Could also make it verbose Like how centova does it, certain playlists at certain times. Like a Genre based(filter based)

For people like me that dont have alot of music to fill up a date, and time to make a playlist by hand(since there doesnt seem to be a randomize feature in the playlists or an option to repeat a playlist till the scheduled show ends.) Something really has to be dont with the dead air time. And airtime could be just that much more great if it had a autodj style function that could be automatic during downtime or even scheduled.

Of course its up to you, and the community. I would atleast like the disconnect when all sources disconnected. This way it could do a fallback if needed. Maybe this has been kicked around? Or suggested before? ha. I wouldnt know I am a brand new user. And i love this software and hope that this may start something going :).
    Post edited by Greg D at 2012-08-09 21:26:03
  • 3 Comments sorted by
  • Though work arounds may be out there. once again i am a brand new user.

Post edited by Greg D at 2012-08-11 04:38:13
  • Second, You could simply just disconnect when nothing is scheduled and all other sources are disconnected(may be the same as above, maybe i just worded it different? O.o) the only issue i feel with this bruteforce style method is that with improper implementation it would kill the connection when a show ot master source is connected. (though obviously this would get seen during dev).

I think this is the same as the first but you would know better :). This is actually a good idea, and one we have not considered yet. In the meantime you can simply disable the stream in the stream settings page - I do realize this is a little bit more cumbersome.

Third, And i know this one has most likely been asked, intigrate an autodj into airtime with a random placement of songs. Could also make it verbose Like how centova does it, certain playlists at certain times. Like a Genre based(filter based)

This is already in development and will be available for 2.2 :).

Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • Yea i figured the second thing was just like the first but in my mind i was thinking like a Forced kind of thing. And it was more of a thought process at a different angle :).

I am glad to have put something new in your heads! It feels good! HA! Yes it may be a little more cumbersome but it works till you guys get it written in, and i doubt it would take very much code.