Installation Issue
  • I'm having a problem running the installaton of Newscoop 4.0. I'm using the godaddy.com Linux server with PHP 5.3. I'm using a subdomain under my main hosting account in a folder called /newscoop. When i type www.nologynews.com/index.php i get the following error:

Warning: Unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) state=1 in /home/content/91/7896191/html/newscoop/application.php on line 65
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in /home/content/91/7896191/html/newscoop/application.php on line 68

When i type in the main domain name and the subdirectory (www.cre8groupinc.com/newscoop/index.php) I get the same error. I also tried to type in (www.nologynews.com/install/index.php) and i receive the following error:

Warning: require_once(__DIR__/../application.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/91/7896191/html/newscoop/install/index.php on line 16

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '__DIR__/../application.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/91/7896191/html/newscoop/install/index.php on line 16

I have no idea on how to install this software on the server. Please help!
  • 8 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov

Warning: Unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) state=1 in /home/content/91/7896191/html/newscoop/application.php on line 65
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in /home/content/91/7896191/html/newscoop/application.php on line 68

it means that php 5.2 is used. You can check it if create a php file with content:

<? phpinfo() ?>

• I see...i just switched over from 5.2 to 5.3 so maybe it's still converting. Is the correct way to start up the setup process by typing in www.nologynews.com/index.php? I have the subdomain pointing to the newscoop subdirectory.
    should be ok
  • Now i'm getting a 500 Internal Server Error. I tried all of the different domain/directories:

www.nologynews.com/index.php

www.nologynews.com/newscoop/index.php

www.cre8groupinc.co/newscoop/index.php

All that comes up is the 500 Error.
    check apache error log file
  • I found the apache logs on the godaddy server but i have no idea what i'm looking for. I'm still getting anm http 500 server error. I changed all of the folders to CMOD to 777 and it still isn't working. Do have other users that have run this program on godaddy.com? I contacted Godaddy and they said that it looks like they meet the requirements of the software but that's all of the help they will give me. Please help!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Sava TatićSava Tatić
    Hi Suzanne,

As another user has indicated here:

http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/comment/18781#Comment_18781

Godaddy is a hard one to crack. He is suggesting another hosting provider (to which we, Sourcefabric, have no relation, FYI) in that thread. 

(BTW, Sourcefabric offers managed hosting as well, see http://newscoop.pro)

All the best,

Sava

• Thank you Sava...i signed up for hosting on HostGator and was able to get php5.3 running but now when i type in www.nologynews.com i get an http 500 error. I purchased the baby hosting plan like the other user did in the link you posted above (who didn't have an issue). I'm not a programmer so i'm having a difficult time understanding the issue. I sent a support ticket to HostGator so I will let you know shortly if i have any further questions on the installation.

(The managed hosting plan for the newscoop pro version is much too expensive for me).
    Post edited by Suzanne Urash at 2012-08-20 19:32:03