High CPU Usage
  • Hi, 

I am in the process of setting up an airtime server for a small radio station which will running for a week from the middle of a Scout Jamboree. 

For this reason we have managed to acquire a small server which we were hoping would do the job.  I have got airtime installed and running but I am having a bit of trouble with performance. 

The machine has a 1.3Ghz processor with 1GB of RAM.   

When running airtime with 1 x Alsa output and 1 x 64kbps OGG stream.     When running both of these I sometimes hear 'skipping' on the soundcard output and the odd gap in the stream.   When I open the airtime webpage the soundcard output skips consistently and the stream drops out more frequently. 

Looking at the processes on the system it appears that airtime-liquidsoap is using 50% CPU on average, peaking at about 65% CPU.   apache2 is also utilising quite a high percentage, peaking at about 25% CPU.  

Does anyone  have any suggestions as to why the CPU usage could be so high, and if there is anything we can do to reduce it?  Ideally I don't want to have to reduce stream quality or anything.    

(Also - the UI seems to be quite unresponsive which I am guessing is a related issue).

Thanks in advance.
    Post edited by Adam Thomas at 2012-09-28 08:02:49
  • 2 Comments sorted by
  • A lot of CPU is used because Liquidsoap needs to transcode the stream from whatever your uploaded format is, to 64kpbs OGG in realtime. 

Please check /var/log/airtime/pypo-liquidsoap/ls_script.log

If you see lots of "We must catchup x.xx seconds" entries, then you will most likely need to upgrade your hardware.
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • Thanks Martin,  I thought that may be the case. 

Time to hunt out a new airtime server!