Sort with order in a {{ list_article }}
  • Hallo,
    I have two issues with new template in newscoop 3.5.3:

first
    I have a new article type with a date-field event_date.
    Can I sort with order in a {{ list_article }}  instead of the standard order_condition?
    How?

Exampel

The new article type had a field event_date (date from a event). I want to sort the list_article by this date (asc or desc).
    {{ list-article order="????????"  .......}}
    ------
    {{ /list }}

second
    can I fix, that only the events in the future are showing.
    Is this a possibility:

{{ list ........ }}

{{ if   $gimme->article->event_date|date_format  greater  $smarty.now|date_format}}
      {{ include file="kob_classic/tpl/event-show.tpl" }}
    {{ /if }}

{{ /list }}

???

Thanks

Best regards Hubertus
    (I'm a german and my english is not the best)
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • Hey Hubertus,

First case:

You can, or at least you can give it a try. The way it works is like this:

{{ list_articles ... order="bycustom.ci.event_date.1970-01-01 desc" }}

where:

bycustom tells Newscoop you want to order by a custom field.

ci stands for Case Insensitive. Other possible values are cs (Case Sensitive) and num (Numeric)

event_date is the name of the custome field, in this case I used your field

1970-01-01 is a default value

That's it... this was implemented to be used with numeric and text fields, so I am not sure if it would work with dates but it might, so give a try and let us know if that makes the trick, it would be good to know  :-)

This also reminds me that this is a new and undocumented feature :-) it will hit the manual soon ;-)

Second case:

Yes, everything is possible :-)

It should work the way you did it, but this is an optimized version:

{{ list_articles constraints="event_date greater $smarty.now" }}
    {{ /list_articles }}

With that you only get the articles you want, and nothing else.

Hope this helps !

All Best,

• Hey Holman,

yor comment is very fine and plausible. I have a week holiday now and then I test this with date.
    I are report here.

Thanks
    Best regards Hubertus
  • Reply to @Martin+Saturka:

Thank for link.
    Best regards Hubertus
  • Hey Holman,

I have tested. It, first case with {{ list_articles ... order="bycustom.ci.event_date.1970-01-01 desc" }} not be out of order. But, I do not know, wether my code-construction good is.

I have newscoop 3.5.3 with change template-set from classic. I have arrange a new article type (events with date and locations). The events sould list in a section (3). I have arranged code in section.tpl:

{{ if $gimme->section->number == "3" }}
    {{ list_articles name="events" order="bycustom.ci.event_date.1970-01-01 desc" constraints="type is events" ignore_issue="true" }}

{{ if  $gimme->article->event_date|date_format:"%Y%m%d" >=  $smarty.now|date_format:"%Y%m%d"  }}
      {{ include file="kob_classic/tpl/event/event-show.tpl" }}
    {{ /if }}

{{ /list_articles }}
    {{ /if }}

The events are listed in section 3. The order="bycustom.ci.event_date.1970-01-01 desc" is ineffectual.
    Also, order="bycustom.ci.`$gimme->article->event_date`.1970-01-01 desc" is ineffectual.

The second case:  with a constraints (https://wiki.sourcefabric.org/display/CS/Order+by+custom+field) is also ineffectual. And I use the if-part now. That is ok.

Best regards Hubertus

• Hi Hubertus,

The syntax is correct, problem is you are using 3.5.3, and ordering "bycustom" is available only as of 4.0.0. We suggest to plan for an upgrade, as many issues have been addressed since 3.5.3 plus several new features are available as well.

Upgrading might go not that straight forward, so do it first using a separate instance, don't do it at first on your production environment. If all goes well then you can approach the live instance.

All Best,