Getting Started, Help and suggestions.
  • Vote Up1Vote Down TrevTrev
    Can anyone help me.

I am looking for suggestions on how to broadcast a radio show with Icecast 2, airtime 2.1, and currently Mixxx. Server type: "nginx"

All software is up to date.

I have managed to stream and broadcast just fine to my sites stream player with the above setup.
    But I have some problems that maybe someone can offer some suggestions to rectify.

Basically I need talk show functionality. The ability to broadcast LIVE voice, as well as take calls through voip to be broadcast LIVE.

Skype being the preffered option here for calls.

I have looked all over the net and mostly can only find the Mixxx,Airtime,Icecast, setup.

My first problem is Mixxx. While it can broadcast voice and I've hacked a skin so that I can toggle the talk button on and off, there seems to be no way to prevent hearing the "voice" in your headphones. Many would no doubt know it is strangely difficult for most to talk as they hear themselves in headphones in real time.

So any ideas on where to start improving things? Alternative software, that if not free at least cheap as possible as I'm just getting started out and will look at commercial options in the future.

Something where I can mute the local mike audio and tap into LIVE skype calls. And something that can be used easily with other DJ's who will also be streaming on the same "station".

I've logged a wishlist request on Mixxx for the mute local mike option and I guess the more users who do the greater the chances for an update with the feature as it seems many users want it.

If I have to pay what is the best software to go with, what else is compatible with airtime?

Oh and I only have a single Realtek HD sound card, it has front and rear mike speak input and outputs, can they be exploited via cables or software to use skype with Mixxx or similar?

Edit: I am also upgrading our site to use joomla, will airtime and mixxx etc work ok with that???
    Post edited by Trev at 2012-06-05 11:29:28
  • 20 Comments sorted by
  • Regarding Airtime and Joomla, Airtime needs to be in the root directory of the webserver (not as a subfolder).
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Paul BaranowskiPaul Baranowski
    Have you tried Internet DJ Console?
    http://idjc.sourceforge.net/

You can install it directly using apt-get on ubuntu:
    sudo apt-get install idjc

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Trev wrote:

> Basically I need talk show functionality. The ability to broadcast LIVE
    > voice, as well as take calls through voip to be broadcast LIVE.
    >
    > Skype being the preffered option here for calls.
    >
  • Vote Up0Vote Down TrevTrev
    >Regarding Airtime and Joomla, Airtime needs to be in the root directory of the webserver (not as a subfolder).

Yep, that won't be an issue. Just wanted to make sure I could stream to the site easily when it's changes to joomla, currently I am using FFMP3 on the site as the stream player.

>Have you tried Internet DJ Console?

I have looked at it, just need my tech guy to install it, he seems to think it won't work on an nginx server for some reason.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    I've a little problem with master source / show source streams
    i need to give an icecast stream on the same server but not on the same port
    give a distant icecast stream add local address server before the good one

any idea ?
    also will IDJC work with windows? on the client side? as I keep seeing a lot of Ubuntu stuff.

also do you have to build/compile IDJC or is an installer available somewhere?
    Post edited by Trev at 2012-06-06 03:41:20
  • Reply to @Trev:

IDJC will work. Any client that supports broadcasting via icecast/shoutcast protocol will work.
  • Reply to @Albert+FR:

Could you elaborate a bit, I'm having trouble understanding what exactly you are trying to do.
    when I try to put a master source stream the master source connection url can't be really modified, the link is always the same .

for example :
    my server (where airtime is installed) is toto.fr
    when i try to change it, that's don't work
    I've tried to install another instance of icecast on another port (8080 for example) and the system say "port occuped"...
    and no source connected to this input.
    Post edited by Albert FR at 2012-06-06 15:33:31
    any idea ?
  • can you please attach the screen shot of what you are trying to do?
    I'm little confused.
    I'm talking about master source stream

and url address of it who can't be local or foreign for me
    when I try to put a local stream the system said "port already in use"
    and if i try a foreign stream url adress is changed by that of the server

perhaps i've missed something
    Post edited by Albert FR at 2012-06-08 04:23:06
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
    you can use haproxy to forward stream from one server/port to another server/port
    it is not a problem of security or closed port
    haproxy can't help, me for this
    my question is why , when i try to override url of master source, the address is changed by that of the server ?
    or why when i put another instance of icecast on a different port with the stream i want, airtime sayd "port occupied"...
  • I have a question too, when i connected to master source stream i get a message "Invalid password" but i write a valid pass to password-box
  • Hello, I am the "tech" guy for the radio station while IDJC would be the ideal solution most of our djs will be Windows users and therefore not able to use it. If anyone knows of a way for someone to route skype calls into mixxx easily on Windows I am all ears.
  • Hi Morgan,

I know this sounds kludgy, but the immediate solution that comes to mind for routing Skype calls into Mixxx on Windows is to possibly use a second device for your Skype calls (maybe even your smartphone) and an analog patch cable to go from the sound out on the Skype box into the mic in jack on the Mixxx machine. While it isn't ideal, it may at least get you up and running.

As for the Windows users not knowing their way around IDJC, I really wouldn't worry about that; IDJC's interface is similar to quite a few similar playout programs on Windows, and you can use a mouse and everything in Linux - it's not as scary as you might think :-)
    Douglas Arellanes
    Director of Innovation
    Sourcefabric, o.p.s.

Find a way or make one.
  • Ahhh but heres the kicker its all going to be done using airtimes live interface. So each dj is in a totally separate physical location and will be logging in off their own personal computers. I cant really expect every dj to go buy a second sound card just to take calls. Nor can I expect them to switch OS to use IDJC. Sorry that this wasn't clear before.

Also, I am an avid linux fan with no qualms about using it myself but alas others do.
    Post edited by Morgan McMurry at 2012-06-09 00:04:15
    Yes, like Morgan said.
     To clarify.

We have a number of DJ's broadcasting from different locations.
    Most will be using WINDOWS computers.

Our server where airtime is installed is "NGINX", not Linux or Windows

Can NGINX be configured as required by IDJC on the  server side of things.

http://idjc.sourceforge.net/install_standard.html <---------- It shows Ubuntu and Debian settings.
    Will they work on NGINX?

And as for the IDJC program, so it will work on Windows OS????
    And again like I previously asked is a precompiled installer version available anywhere, or is compiling it yourself the only option????

We very much appreciate the help. Thanks.
  • Reply to @Morgan+McMurry:

I'm not aware of any broadcast software that can record skype calls at the moment. Please let us know if you find anything!
  • Reply to @Trev:

nginx and IDJC should be completely independent of each other. IDJC won't even use nginx, so don't worry about configuration :)

If you are using Linux, IDJC is installed as simply as following the instructions here:

On Windows, it appears you will need to look for other solutions.